is my cam good enough for wedding shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist1984

Feb 19, 2005
Hey everyone,
My cousin is getting married in april, and shes asked me to take some photos (professionally), cos her photographer her mum n dad are making her have is not really a photographer, but a computer graphics technician.

he is just using your average joes digital 3 mp camera.

She asked me to take shots as well on my canon eos 3000n SLR camera and im wondering if it will be good enough for wedding protraits?

I'm going to be using kodak portra 160nc 35mm film
and circular polarizer and a softener filters

the lens is standard 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 II

What do ya all think?

Hi.

I think the more important question is whether your skill is good enough ... having said that, if you're not confident to take photographs (professionally), let them know the truth ... at least that's what I always do ... ;)

If you have doubts on your equipment, it only proves you are not confident enough. If that's the case, may I suggest you let your cousin know accordingly.

Else it would be tremendously pressurizing for you.

I'm sure there'd be many here willing to do it for a fee. :) Cheers.

ask your cousin to discuss with her parents, and engage a proper photographer instead.

wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime event - even if one year later the couple looks just as good as they did, there's NO WAY to recall all the guests and re-enact their presence :bsmilie:

krist1984 said:
Hey everyone,
My cousin is getting married in april, and shes asked me to take some photos (professionally), cos her photographer her mum n dad are making her have is not really a photographer, but a computer graphics technician.

She asked me to take shots as well on my canon eos 3000n SLR camera and im wondering if it will be good enough for wedding protraits?

What do ya all think?

I think your camera is fine for the candid moments, perhaps while circling the dinner tables, spontaneous shots in the house.But for formal portraits, I don't think its good enough.However, please get a good diffuser for your flash(which should be a good one), especially if you plan to shoot the dinner.Get a proper photographer for the main stuff, and you could learn a thing or too by tagging along and shoot too. :)

Adam Goi said:
Hi.

I think the more important question is whether your skill is good enough ... having said that, if you're not confident to take photographs (professionally), let them know the truth ... at least that's what I always do ... ;)

Hi there,
i agree with adam goi had already mention to you.

:D

i think espn summed it up pretty well. if you're having doubts about ur equipment then nope.. dun shoot as main.

but otherwise, have some higher speed film spare, and an external flash, and honestly, your equipment is adequate.

btw.. you did mention "portraits". so does that mean they only want u to shoot maybe outdoor when they can pose etc? cos that's totally different to covering a wedding event, altho sometimes covering the event does involve couple portraiture (usually outdoor) too, if the couple requests.

krist1984 said:
Hey everyone,

What do ya all think?

Hi, PM me. Got something to say on this.

Yes I am sure there will be volunteers from here. :)

AF wont be fast enough to catch the crucial moments

user111 said:
AF wont be fast enough to catch the crucial moments

Who needs AF anyway for wedding shots?? I always use manual focus, no prob at all..the problems lies on the photograher!

sehsuan said:
ask your cousin to discuss with her parents, and engage a proper photographer instead.

wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime event - even if one year later the couple looks just as good as they did, there's NO WAY to recall all the guests and re-enact their presence :bsmilie:

STRONGLY AGREE...

not that dun trust ur skill but i guess it better not to..

ie. a friend of mine did something similar..
but end up pic not really good/pro.. <-- = bad relationship btw my friend and his cousin hubby...

from my point of view, spend a bit more to get a pro and take pic...
these pic can last very long...

k3nn3th03 said:
these pic can last very long...

just a little more from me - the photos HAVE to last FOREVER. there is no such thing as a re-staged wedding dinner/day event just to get some shots because of a computer nut who may not know how to shoot at all.

once a friend told me, studio shots, if they screw up, still can pay and retake so long as you have the money, but for the day/night shots from the Big Day, there is NO RECOURSE.

hi,
What I did for my friend was, to advise him to engage a pro-photogrpher to do all the "proper" shots.

What I did was to capture the more unusual and candid aspects of the wedding.

That way, you have no pressure to "deliver the goods" and yet be able to do something meaningful.

Belief in your equipment is very important. Once you have doubts, seriously you can't perform.

Regarding AF speed it's very stupid to say things like "AF isn't fast enough". If I can survive on a F80 AF speed, EOS300's speed is nothing to be complained about.

yes, ask your cousin to engage a pro-photogrpher to do all the "proper" shots...and make sure to ask him/her to sent the camera in for servicing 1st b4 the wedding day itself for a full functional check. My cousin got a very bad "once in her lifetime" wedding shoot. She paid 5000 bucks for the whole package, studio to the actual wedding day event. On the wedding day itself, the photographer's main workhorse died on him (dead, even with fresh batt) and luckily he got a spare workhorse with him and for the morning tea session at her husband family, it went on fine but during the afternoon session at our side of the family, the spare one also went bonker (center shutter plane fail to open resulting in a black stripe in all photo developed) and the photographer did not or rather I would say cannot notice it as all his camera are all film based and this went on for the rest of the event and when the photo were develop, the photographer and the bridal shop themselves were in for a shock but the biggest shock was from both my cousin and her husband and in the end, they work out a refund package for them but whats lost cannot be returned.

His main camera and back up camera also broke down on the same day!
Wah like that must buy 4d already

Your camera is good enough as mentioned b4 other stuff that you need:
faster film
external flash with bounce head and fast recycling time.
bounce card
good eye
fast reflexes
confidence
and a whole lot of luck.

With bad luck even if you bring 5 cameras, all also will break down.

krist1984 said:
Hey everyone,

What do ya all think?

If your cousin is not willing to spend $ to get someone to do the job, then the burden to perform will rest heavily on you. Make sure you practice a lot before the actual day to understand your cam better. You also need a good external flash as bounce flash is crucial. You will also need spare camera on standby. That is, what if your cam screws you in the middle of the event? It can happen to anyone most unexectedly.

snowspeeder said:
If your cousin is not willing to spend $ to get someone to do the job, then the burden to perform will rest heavily on you. Make sure you practice a lot before the actual day to understand your cam better. You also need a good external flash as bounce flash is crucial. You will also need spare camera on standby. That is, what if your cam screws you in the middle of the event? It can happen to anyone most unexectedly.
I think you're mistaken, there's no monetary payments here, she's not oblidged to worry about images not turning out as s/he is not a professional and not paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.