Is Multitasking Really More Efficient?

Is Multitasking Really More Efficient?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
Doing 2 or more task at the same time is better than finishing 1 task then the next is better?
Most bosses if not all prefer their employees to be able to multitask.

But according to some scientific research says that it actually cost more to multitask.

Doing 2 or more task at the same time is better than finishing 1 task then the next is better?
Most bosses if not all prefer their employees to be able to multitask.

But according to some scientific research says that it actually cost more to multitask.

its like, have duo core, then quad core, then hex core on 1 cpu...

the more the merrier... but problem is, we're still a single organism... lol...

so one at a time... just let them know, i've got multi skills, but only a brain and a pair of hands...

Depends on what we are doing.

If we can manage the tasks on separate workstations, it may be faster as sometimes, we have to wait for things to complete.

I have tried multi-tasking on multiple browsers before and was able to be slightly faster as sometimes you are delayed by the system's limitations...

depends on what kind of multitasking.

Can you multitask by singing and perhaps cooking? Maybe not..

But yeah, like what zac08 mentioned, multitasking on 1 platform may be faster.

I voted yes.

It depend on what kind of tasks and how complicated or simple it is.
Example like if two tasks have quite some free slot time in between and may be relevant to both task, then yes. But if both task hardly have any free slot, need to learn from new, and can't stop in between, but have to juggle one and another, unless the person is really talented in multitask, otherwise, how could it be efficient :dunno:.

Multi tasking is really a misconception even when used in PC terms...

It's still single task at a time for each core. Even in parallel processing, one core handles 1 tasks at a time.

depends on what kind of multitasking.

Can you multitask by singing and perhaps cooking? Maybe not..

But yeah, like what zac08 mentioned, multitasking on 1 platform may be faster.

I voted yes.

why not? lot of people bathing and singing at the same time.

why cannot cook and sing at the same time?

why not? lot of people bathing and singing at the same time.

why cannot cook and sing at the same time?

better don't cook and sing at the same time. not hygiene.

A Big "No"

just some silly term used by management to squeeze us deeper n further. :nono:

best ask if the employee can mulit-task as boss for 'awhile'! :think:

multi-tasking is an office lingo to heap on task after task by management, den blame staff for being incompetant.

always luv to read terms of contract whereby its legally alright to be delegated tasks beyond 1s job scope- "and other duties that may be assigned to you from time to time".

powerful... :complain:

I suck at multitasking. I will get lost halfway through whatever I am doing and sometimes have to redo everything again.

Last edited:
I suck at multitasking. I will get lost halfway through whatever I am doing and sometimes have to redo everything again.
You are not the only one, personally I find it very tiring :) I was listening to a report a few months back that trashed the myth that women are better at multi-tasking as a way of passing them more work and not letting them climb the coprorate ladder. Their premise, was that multi-tasking does not yield better results.

Even in computer terms there are senarios where 1 core fast CPU will outpace a 2 Core CPU. In only in some cases where a multi-core processor yields better results.

-- Marios

Many executives in our company bring their files into the toilet to read.

Efficiency has been improved.

The only problem is the stain on the documents.

wah, wad they do inside the toilet, take so long wan? next time the entrance need CCTV with time record function. they got bladder problem? :bsmilie: ... or is that there new office cubicle? :bsmilie:

Haha, I can read story book to my son, eyes sequencing switch between the book and the TV subtitles, listening to my wife's complaint, hand playing ping-pong with my daughter. Just done it last 2 nights. Suddenly, the TV showed an exciting scene (one on 2 fast 2 furious, last night on Nanny Baba), I took slightly more times to paused my sight on the TV. Then, my wife stopped, gave me a black face, and the ping-pong hit my head. My son gave me a stare, asking me when can I continue on his story.

It's so challenging!

Cheers!

The measurements revealed that for all types of tasks, subjects lost time when they had to switch from one task to another, and time costs increased with the complexity of the tasks, so it took significantly longer to switch between more complex tasks. Time costs also were greater when subjects switched to tasks that were relatively unfamiliar.The researchers say their results suggest that executive control involves two distinct, complementary stages: goal shifting ("I want to do this now instead of that") and rule activation ("I'm turning off the rules for that and turning on the rules for this"). Both stages help people unconsciously switch between tasks.Thus, multitasking may seem more efficient on the surface, but may actually take more time in the end. According to the authors, this insight into executive control may help people choose strategies that maximize their efficiency when multitasking. The insight may also weigh against multitasking

----------------------------------------------------

gillberk

ETHICAL SEO

My seniors and management always want us to multitask.

But problem is, can they do the things they task us to do themselves or not?:think:

If we are taking orders from incompetent leaders, there are only more cork ups and screw ups along the way. :nono:

One sentence i always like to use to "shoot" my seniors, "If i can do everything swee swee, i get promoted and take over you and get your pay is it?"

Please la, how many managers can there be in a department? Especially in my field, Engineering.

End of the day, i provide what i am paid for.

Don't expect a Roasted Duck when you pay for one slice of Chaw Siew.

But end of the day, we still lose out.

They can always say "Not happy, quit lor.":confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.