Is monopod a better stuff to carry than a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
Hi, I already have a decent tripod which bought years ago...however, it still serving good, though current 300d + 420ex flash are heavier than my old Pentex SLR + flash.

Anyway, I find that, its quite troublesome to lug along with this heavy duty tripod, and thinking should I go for a monopod instead? :think:

Is monopod steady or good enough in most shooting condition just to prevent/minimise camera shake ie. shooting at 1/15s or 1/30s?

Any good monopod to recommend,.and roughly how much?

Thanks for sharing your tips :)

Cheers!

ST_sg said:
Hi, I already have a decent tripod which bought years ago...however, it still serving good, though current 300d + 420ex flash are heavier than my old Pentex SLR + flash.

Anyway, I find that, its quite troublesome to lug along with this heavy duty tripod, and thinking should I go for a monopod instead? :think:

Is monopod steady or good enough in most shooting condition just to prevent/minimise camera shake ie. shooting at 1/15s or 1/30s?

Cheers!
Well, it ain't gonna be very good for extremely long exposures, unless you have super strong arms...

ya... probably... I just need a good support while maintaining steady at 1sec shots :p

depends a lot on the lenses used. but monopods are definitely not good enough for steadying 1s shots!!!

how about monopod with VR lens, will it work with 1s shots?

mpenza said:
depends a lot on the lenses used. but monopods are definitely not good enough for steadying 1s shots!!!
say using the Sigma 70-300 APO shooting at 200mm focal length at f/11? Nature lighting or with 420ex flash?

sorry.... I'm very new in this. Most of my shots I find its not sharp highly possibility due to cam shake :(

Apart from the focal len rule for handheld (50mm handheld not less then 1/50, 28mm not less then 1/30, 200mm not less then 1/250 etc...etc) to avoid blur image, monopod will give u additional 2-stops additional to the focal length rule.

Other than that, mobility. U cant chase after movie stars or soccer action using tripod right?

borrow one monopod first and see if you like it before getting one, even though it's relatively inexpensive ($50-70). PM me if you want to borrow one.

Also learn how to use the monopod correctly, do a search i think someone put up some very good info.

Has anyone tried the Giottos monopod - the "p-pod" series? The one where the monopod can attach 3 small legs, turning it into a tripod or self standing monopod?

I don't know if it's the same model but i heard from a shop owner that there was photographer who used something a similar "self standing monopod" as a tripod and the whole SLR came crashing down!!!

Adzz said:
how about monopod with VR lens, will it work with 1s shots?

I frequently used monopod with the 70-200VR for nature, not alot of difference in terms of low shutterspeed (1/15s) when compared to handheld but it helps in supporting the lens so I won't get tired so easily.

Never tried 1sec b4. :)

ST_sg said:

Cheers!

Manfrotto 679 or 680. $60+ for 679, I think.
Slik Propod 600 (I'm using this). $85
Giottos (dunno the model).

U can find all the above at CP. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.