Is Manfrotto 055 with Giottos MH-1000 Model 200 Suitable for my cam setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzz

Jun 20, 2004
West area
Hi guys, I am about to get a tripod. Probably tomorrow. My initial plan is to get a 190ProB with the 486RC2. However, on seeing the height of the 190ProB, I think that the 055B model should be a better buy for its height, however, it is certain to be heavier. I am considering between the ballhead 486RC2 and a Giottos Mh-1000 Model 200 which Steven from CP recommend me to buy.

My setup is a D70 with 70-200 VR Lens, a SB-800, and possibly a TC2.0 in the future. I am concern if the camera will creep down for this setup, and for macro shots, upon tightening the screws, will the frame shift?

The tripod leg and ballhead will cost 350 in total. I am looking for a 1-time purchase for the tripod which can last for a long period of time.

Is there any other suitable stuff to recommend as well?

Thanks. :)

Silk 500DX, check out the specs yourself. Very similar to 055 but 1.75kg only (vs 2.2kg). Loading and height are similar. AMT alloy. And you get a free 3-way head of decent quality. Perhaps use the money saved to buy a 488RC2, better.

Also, i prefer the fast action levels for the legs.

I believe this combo is cheaper too.

I suspect Giottos is Taiwanese. Check their website, no mention but do a reverse IP lookup and the host is tw. I don't think Eurpoeans or US sites will host in tw.

Hmmm.. You were saying that the 488RC2 is a better ballhead than the Giottos MH-1000? I see that the giottos ballhead has a tension adjustment and the ability to do panning shots easily.

Let me check the 500dx. :)

488RC2 also has panning. :) But no tension control.
Actually, panning is usually done with the ball loose, the so called panning capability is more for panoramic. (you can't pan in an arc if you are above the subject's horizontal level). Well, whatever works for others.... :)
Just do a check on goggle on giottos for opinions and form your own judgement. : )

www.thkphoto.com or www.slik.com. Pro 500DX can handle 5kg if i am not wrong, usually it's the stability concern rather than the legs or whatever parts giving way, it is a rather vague figure usually. :)

yea. the manfrotto 055 is 6kg load max. i might choose manfrotto coz of its black legs. the slik 500dx does not allow ballhead to be mounted on.

one thing steven at cp said is that the max load stated normally divide it by 2. hmmm...

any users of the ball head giottos MH-1000 model 200?

488 has limited tension control as well as panning lock. The main lock also acts as tensioning as it has a smooth progressive tightening action. The ballhead is smoother than the giottos which may have a tendency to lockup. Try it for yourself.

Yup, i got the Giottos MH-1000 with the Quik release. Been using it for some time. It serves me pretty well. One flaw is that, when you tighten the ballhead, there is some misalignment / shift-off from your intended position. So sometime, you need to release-tighten-release-tighten in order to fix your desired position.

I think you might be happier with the 468RC. However, do take note when you release the tension or it will just flop down and cause some shock to your lens and body. The Giottos have a tension knob so even if you release it, it will not flop down.

Giottos is made in China , designed by French

Oh its 488RC2, paiseh. Then should not be a prob. Get the Manfrotto ballhead. You will be more satisfied. Trust me.

Oh, 1 more thing, i owned the 055pro. Although its heavier, its very sturdy. buy an Optech tripod strap, it will ease some tension off your sholder. cost $30, i tink. A tripod is a something you dun change that often. Choose a good one and live with it. Manfrotto is my choice.

Adzz said:
yea. the manfrotto 055 is 6kg load max. i might choose manfrotto coz of its black legs. the slik 500dx does not allow ballhead to be mounted on.

one thing steven at cp said is that the max load stated normally divide it by 2. hmmm...

Well, i don't like chrome legs also, but luckily the 500DX is light gun-metal anodized type. :) Not that bad. Most Sliks (except the consumer U series) has 1/4" screw for attachment of ballheads or any other heads, can change lar.

Well, you can check with Christopher of CP too. As for load divide by 2 for tripods, it is anybody's interpretation and usage. That's coz you know lar, specs are on paper, sometimes manufacturers do quote optimistic figures. Also, some leeway has to be made for some moments where you run the accidental risk of say toppling the setup at the peak of the action as you cannot fully spread the legs or what. That is why it is not advisable to extend the centre column as performance would then take a nose dive, the balance of your lens matters, the max height matters too. Both 055 and 500DX will have no problems doing loads of up to 5kg as long as you do not extend and use the tripods properly.

Also, I guess if you do not have to travel much with the tripod, get the 055. If you do stuff like shooting nature in remote areas, every gram counts. This is where the AMT (Alu, magnesium, titanium) technology comes in, stiffer and lighter. Since you are on a budget, the 500DX would be great. You have to remember that the 488 or similar ballhead is an additional of about 800g heavy too.

488 also will have a bit of movement after you tightened the knob and release the lens, esp if you are aiming more than 10 deg downwards or upwards. But that is if you are really shooting in super tele ranges, eg 500mm. I tried a Markins M-10 ($545 bux ballhead), same thing though there is less, so just agar agar adjust and compensate a bit before locking can lar. :)

i shall try the giottos mh-1000 and 488rc2 later. but the price diff is 15 (giottos 150, 488 is 135). think i'm better off getting the giottos, IMO. Just called MS colors, they quote me 180 for the manfrotto 055proB. Its black legs with horizontal ability. CP is 200, hmm, dunno can bargain to 180 or not. 20 bucks seems lots of diff. hehe...

I'm more concerned about the giottos reliablilty compared to 488rc2, or 486rc2, if it will break down after a while, since i read some threads on this. maybe it is just the users handling faults.

So for d70, sb800, 70-200vr lens and posiibly a tc2.0, either is 486rc2 (80 bucks), 488rc2 (135 bucks) or mh-1000 (150 bucks), which is the one to choose? hmm...

Don't think it's advisable to add a 2xTC to the 70-200vr, esp if you are going to shoot birds with it. Good luck on your selection, can ask Christopher of CP.

hmmm... not that good with tc and vr lens? steven serving me, like not nice to ask chris instead. haha

Adzz said:
hmmm... not that good with tc and vr lens? steven serving me, like not nice to ask chris instead. haha

Well, if you are shooting like F1 powerboats it should still be acceptable. For birds esp those with contrasting colours (black and white or similar) you will get quite a fair bit of CA. Also you will lose a lot of fine details like the fine feathers and feet definition. You will get the bird big big of coz but lose out on the fine definition. Not advisable to use 2x as even if you are using top primes it's just only decent. 1.4 should be acceptable for the 70-200vr which is pretty sharp for a zoom, somemore it only becomes f4. 2.0 means it becomes a 5.6 lens. Else you will find yourself walking 3 steps forwards and 2 steps back.

Adzz said:

Where did you find information on 500DX? Is it sold in Singapore?

Adzz said:
any users of the ball head giottos MH-1000 model 200?

I'm using this ballhead with D70 + 055proB. It's ok for my other less heavy lenses, but with my 70-200mm VR, the giottos can't hold, think you have to upgrade the quick release plate to Wembly Plate (?? not sure off the name, check with Steven).

I think you'll need a better ball head if you want to use it with the 70-200 VR.

For me, I've given up using the giottos with the 70-200mm and got a Gitzo monopod instead.

geoyip said:
I think you'll need a better ball head if you want to use it with the 70-200 VR.

Wow....looks like the claimed specs (10kg) are optimistic. The 70-200VR is not exactly heavy in the first place.

seems ok to me. i bought the 055proB and the giottos mh-1000 (200). able to support vr lens leh. or at least it looks fine to me for now. will try it out soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.