Is Mac or Windows a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie In A Lightbox

Aug 22, 2008
Hi all

I hope to get feedback regarding this 2 platforms. I'm a Windows user. I'm tempted by the interface of Mac after giving it a try at iShop. It generally feels more intuitive and sleek but I could be wrong. Aperture software seems to be good for pp. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of switching to Mac platform? How does the two platforms compare from the perspective of a photographer?

Hi all

I hope to get feedback regarding this 2 platforms. I'm a Windows user. I'm tempted by the interface of Mac after giving it a try at iShop. It generally feels more intuitive and sleek but I could be wrong. Aperture software seems to be good for pp. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of switching to Mac platform? How does the two platforms compare from the perspective of a photographer?

Try searching in the forum there's a couple of thread in here asking the same qns

But on the other hand, i have three different platform at home and 2 notebook and 1 desktop
one of the NB is Mac.... *whispers* since I bought my mac i had been using lesser of
my desktop / windows NB lest if I want to play PC games.

Advantage would be significantly more when you know unix commands actually.
Cause ultimately, Mac is like a High Class Unix System with all the flairs. :lovegrin:

if money is not a concern, then mac. Its a simple choice for mi. Everything just works as it should although its not crash proof, there is still occasion where application will "hang", but chances of it happening is like 1:10 as compare to windows. From a photographer point of view, some say pics look better on a mac screen while others might differ, photoediting if on PS3/PS4 then probably not much difference...

i love my mac and i dun see myself going back to windows platform...

Hi all

why r u in a dilemma? buy a macbook pro with bootcamp. can switch between window n mac

The recent new Macbook has me drooling.:lovegrin:

Somehow the colours of photos on the LCD screens of Mac look very vibrant and nice. Are my eyes and brains playing tricks on me?:dunno:

For those of you who want to stick with Windows, go with XP Professional.

Vista is quite horrible. I've never been so frustrated with an OS since Win95A (or even WinME - remember THAT?)

Vista is quite horrible. I've never been so frustrated with an OS since Win95A (or even WinME - remember THAT?)

I'm running XP Pro on my PC now. I'm considering an iMac for home use. I love its gigantic screen. Somehow, things just appear nicer on the iMac screen. :lovegrin:

Yo! there is still a better OS out there for you to find out.

Millions are beginning to discover the wonders engaging in the Open Source principle
and going along with either a 26" or 24" LCD panel.

Those millions discovering includes thousands of photographers as well.

:):heart::)

I'm running XP Pro on my PC now. I'm considering an iMac for home use. I love its gigantic screen. Somehow, things just appear nicer on the iMac screen. :lovegrin:

I don't see why you can't have a nice PC compatible monitor and it still looks great. I have a big 22" wide screen which I use to edit and preview my pictures in 32bit and it looks beautiful. You do know all screens are built around the same few technology (LCD or backlit LCD eg) (the the few variates that is made the the usual taiwan or china manufacturer.)

Take a look at this apple news not too long ago. http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/eric2_0/2008/03/apple-settles-m.html

Sometime you can get so caught up in the frenzy you start to see things that is not there or is no difference from a PC or an Apple. Sure there are other reasons for buying a mac over a PC...some of for real IT reasons and some are not. But where Monitors are concern, it is nothing so special from those made for PC or TV or whatever....because they are from the same few manufacturer. Sometime it is really all in your mind....monitor wise

Last edited:
You are never going to get a balance feed back when you post this question in the forum. Mac users are fans of apple. The avalanche of praises for Mac is not indicative of its superiority. What faster load time, more stable etc. is because they are not doing an apple to apple comparison (oops... pun not intended).

Most Windows users just treat it as a tool. They don't see the need to up to defend the product they are using lest they got bash by the apple fans.

the new MBPs look good... except for the glossy screen... and you know what Apple says? laptops are not stationary so adjust it till less reflections... right...

don't have Vista probs for me... 's running smoothly...

Hi all

I have a macbook pro, winXP and ubuntu for graphics development. In terms of platforms (for different OS), they serve me "equally" well. My default OS is ubuntu for its linux terminal (Mac has that too).

There are very little significant overriding advantages / disadvantage in my opinion if you are just going for comparing just the OS / shell desktop alone. (Yes , i know many disagree with me on this). But if you have fallen in love with Aperture , then Mac is the way to go.

In terms of those nice fancy bells you have on MacOS X , I can get most of them on linux and winXP. So do not really see how does the platforms "compare from the perspective of a photographer". The applications that is supported on the respective platform (you may want to use) are more important than the platform itself.

I will stick with gimp in linux meanwhile :)

Last edited:
I am running Vista x64 just fine. The initial set up (i.e. looking drivers, installing programs etc) was a big pain especially for 64bit platform but the software doesn't crash/hang at all. Its quite an improvement over XP. Unless I install a buggy program or drivers, everything else is smooth sailing. Vista is for advanced users who knows what goes into their machine and how to tweak it.

If you don't like tinkering with your stuff much, just go buy a Mac and enjoy yourself. I use Mac at work and PC at home btw. I like both.

I don't see why you can't have a nice PC compatible monitor and it still looks great. I have a big 22" wide screen which I use to edit and preview my pictures in 32bit and it looks beautiful. You do know all screens are built around the same few technology (LCD or backlit LCD eg) (the the few variates that is made the the usual taiwan or china manufacturer.)

Take a look at this apple news not too long ago. http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/eric2_0/2008/03/apple-settles-m.html

Sometime you can get so caught up in the frenzy you start to see things that is not there or is no difference from a PC or an Apple. Sure there are other reasons for buying a mac over a PC...some of for real IT reasons and some are not. But where Monitors are concern, it is nothing so special from those made for PC or TV or whatever....because they are from the same few manufacturer. Sometime it is really all in your mind....monitor wise

Hi sammy888

I looked through the postings in the URL provided and it was a real insight. Thanks for the help. I think it helps to cool my hot-headedness for the time being. I'm currently using a 17in philips lcd monitor. Perhaps I should upgrade my monitor instead. Any recommendations?

You are never going to get a balance feed back when you post this question in the forum. Mac users are fans of apple. The avalanche of praises for Mac is not indicative of its superiority. What faster load time, more stable etc. is because they are not doing an apple to apple comparison (oops... pun not intended).

Most Windows users just treat it as a tool. They don't see the need to up to defend the product they are using lest they got bash by the apple fans.

You're right, friend.

I have a macbook pro, winXP and ubuntu for graphics development. In terms of platforms (for different OS), they serve me "equally" well. My default OS is ubuntu for its linux terminal (Mac has that too).

There are very little significant overriding advantages / disadvantage in my opinion if you are just going for comparing just the OS / shell desktop alone. (Yes , i know many disagree with me on this). But if you have fallen in love with Aperture , then Mac is the way to go.

In terms of those nice fancy bells you have on MacOS X , I can get most of them on linux and winXP. So do not really see how does the platforms "compare from the perspective of a photographer". The applications that is supported on the respective platform (you may want to use) are more important than the platform itself.

I will stick with gimp in linux meanwhile :)

I had a try with Aperture and it seems to improve workflow slightly. Currently I'm using CS3. Hence my workflow involves Adobe Bridge --> Adobe Camera Raw --> PS i.e. switch between 3 applications. Aperture seems to integrate everything a little better. Of course, this doesn't mean CS3 is not good. I'm probably just impressed with the sleekness of iMac and MBP so probably I'm finding excuses for myself to get one. Of course, I'm also aware of the adjustments I've to make if I switch to Mac. Although many says if I switch, I'd never want to go back to Windows. I believe them but the fact is I must still switch. I'm ain't a pro. I ain't making a living out of taking photos. Now it is just a matter of whether I want one or need one. Hee. ;p

Well I'll go against this perceived grain and say that Windows is better than MAC :) More third party tools and support; easier to find software, as well as the ability to use the "ALT" and letter keys to access menu bar items which are unavailable (AFAIK) in Mac.

Share Share. :)

I have a macbook and a window XP destop. Not forgeting another Think Pad X60. My experiences both are good on certain applications. MAC's has an unqiue interface and presentation. The memory mangement is good for graphic editing. The only disadvantages are the price and the power management. It requires daily charging and this will affect my utility bills. :sweat:

For window, not much of the issues. I believe most of us had exprience at least once or twice system crash. This is a norm. I will be building a new grid soon with Vista 64 bit at a 1/3 of a price of Mac Pro. This is for future photo and video editing. Maybe at this price, you can get better systems that runs in window. :)

Share Share. :)

I have a macbook and a window XP destop. Not forgeting another Think Pad X60. My experiences both are good on certain applications. MAC's has an unqiue interface and presentation. The memory mangement is good for graphic editing. The only disadvantages are the price and the power management. It requires daily charging and this will affect my utility bills. :sweat:

For window, not much of the issues. I believe most of us had exprience at least once or twice system crash. This is a norm. I will be building a new grid soon with Vista 64 bit at a 1/3 of a price of Mac Pro. This is for future photo and video editing. Maybe at this price, you can get better systems that runs in window. :)

Hi phoakm

How do you find the macbook? The new entry level macbook is very affordable but in your opinion, is it worth the money? The RAM is low and I think one needs to max it to 4GB.

There are pros and cons with each system, e.g. I love the expose function on the Mac. It works like a charm and helps with productivity. On Windows, you have the half baked Aero interface which lacks usability. Whereas things that I love on Windows, it works with many hardware manufacturers. Unlike Mac system, I can always choose which parts I need and I know I am not paying through the teeth for generic parts.

And so the list will go on forever... The deciding factor will always be the size of your wallet.

PS: If I had S$15,000 to burn, I would rather go on a holiday and spend less time on the computer. LOL!

Last edited:
i think the wow factor of the Mac is its interface and sleek design. usability is subjective from person to person (as pointed out by the previous posts).

as for Windows, i can say that Microsoft is trying to beat Mac at its own game by introducing eye-candies into its OS. but i think they failed miserably here. the eye-candies in Vista looked nice but you they gobble up considerable amount of memory. however, with Windows being used my the general population, there is no shortages of applications for you to use. what more, there are great open-source ones which you can use. i'm using quite a number of open-source apps.

honestly, i do like the interface of a Mac but the usability of Windows. so what i did was, i installed Mac themes to my Windows and am happy at it. although i know it's not the real McCoy, so what... once you are in the midst of doing your work, the eye-candies are pushed aside. you will hardly notice them.

Status
Not open for further replies.