Is M1 mobile broadband faster now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongsien

Mar 11, 2002
Hong Kong
Visit site
I have just used the M1 USB modem to have internet connection on the go, and after upgrading to the medium speed one (1800), the download time to local sites was as fast (or as slow) as using the lowest speed (512).........after checking with the service center they told me that this was because of limited bandwidth of the base stations, but she told me that by the end of the month of Feb there will be enhancements made to the base stations. I wonder if this has now been done, since I noticed faster download speeds since today......

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I use the local standard chartered login page as a gauge to see the speed as this page is also slow to download through Starhub broadband:

https://online-banking.standardchartered.com.sg/cgi-bin/ibnkprdsg/scb/secustart.jsp?fts=1
It used to be about 15 sec to download this page through Starhub and about 18 sec with M1 mobile broadband which to me is fine......

I am planning to stop my subscription to Starhub at home :)

Hong Sien

try to test the speed with this web site www.speedtest.net
is used by ISP to test their speed.
when u sub to 1.5M or 512K, may be is the same down load speed 512K ...

try to discover how good or bad your speed is. hv fun.

I am not in any mobile broadband yet. Keen to sub to Singtel though is service is suck for MIO.

Cheers

I have just used the M1 USB modem to have internet connection on the go, and after upgrading to the medium speed one (1800), the download time to local sites was as fast (or as slow) as using the lowest speed (512).........after checking with the service center they told me that this was because of limited bandwidth of the base stations, but she told me that by the end of the month of Feb there will be enhancements made to the base stations. I wonder if this has now been done, since I noticed faster download speeds since today......

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I use the local standard chartered login page as a gauge to see the speed as this page is also slow to download through Starhub broadband:

https://online-banking.standardchartered.com.sg/cgi-bin/ibnkprdsg/scb/secustart.jsp?fts=1
It used to be about 15 sec to download this page through Starhub and about 18 sec with M1 mobile broadband which to me is fine......

I am planning to stop my subscription to Starhub at home :)

Hong Sien

Last time, M1 USB modem is ok, but recently my 512k is almost dead. I am looking for Starhub landed line even my contract end at Sep 2008.

strange, I have been using M1 USB modem the whole day today and it was faster then when I just started using it a week ago or so.....almost as fast (as slow) as Starhub broadband at home.

I have not stopped Starhub yet, but will do soon I guess, if it keeps going like this, it costs me less than half of what I used to pay and I can also use it outside

HS

this stupid thing depends on locations.

strange, I have been using M1 USB modem the whole day today and it was faster then when I just started using it a week ago or so.....almost as fast (as slow) as Starhub broadband at home.

I have not stopped Starhub yet, but will do soon I guess, if it keeps going like this, it costs me less than half of what I used to pay and I can also use it outside

HS

M1 have actually launch a series of upgrading of its network due to be completed in Late Feb early Mar

i am using M1 wireless broadband on my laptop at work, starhub at home..

i am also starting to feel that m1 wireless broadband is more than enough for my daily usage.

Starhub cost abt $57++ while M1 cost abt $23++ ? M1 being wireless is very useful..it is a slower that starhub but overall i guess it is enough for my nature of usage.

i too am gg to terminate my maxonline soon.. going 100% wireless on my laptop.

Last time, M1 USB modem is ok, but recently my 512k is almost dead. I am looking for Starhub landed line even my contract end at Sep 2008.

how come yours is still 512K ? they had done a free upgrade for me to 1-2M

When I log in my M1 modem, the connectivity is low & I cannot post in CS.
I told M1 my problem, they upgrade me free to 512K from 384K sometime last year. But still the problem cannot be solved, they advise to upgrade to 1800 plan. I thank them & say No.

free upgrade? so paying $22/month for the 1.8G plan?

my singnet contract finishing, dunno if I should go to wireless broadband. The thing is I sometimes play online games so... most probably cannot.

I don't think so. I have been using M1 1.8mps since Nov 2007 and have not seen much improvement in speed. In fact, I now encounter connection problems very often - first connecting the device to the network, then when I click internet explorer it oftens displays "internet explorer cannot display this webpage". Urgh....

For the past one month, my M1 "broadband" seem like "dead' and cant log in most of the time. Even so, it will only last for mins only then have to keep on trying till it can.

I have asked their customer service centre Then they told me sorry for the inconvenience cause as they would having some upgrades for the hardware and software.

Now, slightly better abit but i dont see any huge improvements yet. Anyway, for this price what can i say too much too.

Ermm... agree the thing dependent on location, but it is not stupid. ;)

Haha ... agree on the location part.

I also think it is stupid cos sometimes it keep asking me for "Vodaphone" ISP and I need to reboot to get it working! Stupid man.

I feel there is an improvement from the early days, but there is still a long way to go to realise the full potential of my 512Kbps BW.

Having said that, among mobile internet, I believe M1 BB gave the best value for money today .... right?

Doing the speedtest.net test I never go beyond 408kbps.......and I am on the 1800 plan, it seems to be just a 512kbps. I wonder if those on the 512 plan has a similar speed or even lower? I did the tests in Sengkang and now Clementi Ave 3

HS

Doing the speedtest.net test I never go beyond 408kbps.......and I am on the 1800 plan, it seems to be just a 512kbps. I wonder if those on the 512 plan has a similar speed or even lower? I did the tests in Sengkang and now Clementi Ave 3

HS

I guess you should downgrade to the 512K plan first, wait until M1 clean up their act, then revert back to 1800. To be fair ... I did hear from a friend who had (now terminated) 1800 plan that the city area gave better speeds compared to the heartlands.

Cheers!

HS

HS will you do a similar speed test at Jurong Point & advise on how to maximum M1 BB 512kbps plan
Thank you Jukon

how come yours is still 512K ? they had done a free upgrade for me to 1-2M[/QUOTE

How come you get a free upgrade to 1-2M? M1 say must pay for anything beyond 512K.
Please enlight me, I also want a free upgrade to 1-2M.
Thank you, Jukon

Status
Not open for further replies.