Is Laptop a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
I'm currently using a X-drive (1). The problem is that I'm not comfortable even after I transfer my images from my CF to the X-Drive.

Especially if these are once-in-a-lifetime event. Even with those latest model where they can confirm the transfer status. I'm very concerned with Murphy.

For such cases, is laptop (with CD burner) a must? Or just cross my fingers that the X-drive maintain it's non-failure "record".

CYRN said:
I'm currently using a X-drive (1). The problem is that I'm not comfortable even after I transfer my images from my CF to the X-Drive.

Especially if these are once-in-a-lifetime event. Even with those latest model where they can confirm the transfer status. I'm very concerned with Murphy.

For such cases, is laptop (with CD burner) a must? Or just cross my fingers that the X-drive maintain it's non-failure "record".

so far never heard of xdrive failure. check out the newer ones me tink called nixvue digital albums ... they have some 'verify' feature which err ... verifies the files after copying ... or get the version wif the color LCD to verify it yourself ...

CYRN said:

I think a laptop with CD-R writer at best can only be a companion for your X-drive. In terms of simplicity, speed and convience, I don't think the laptop can replace the X-drive.

Imagine having to boot your laptop (or waking it up from sleep), navigate through the menus and windows to copy the CF card while the event is going on...

Even a CD/laptop can fail. When Murphy's Law strikes, there's nothing anyone can do. You can already done what you could by backing it up on an X-drive.

if murphy's laws is your concern, then even a laptop is not enough. Even u burn CD is not enough. U just can't control things that are beyond your control. Anyway, if you already thinking of spending a over $1.5K for a laptop just for this issue, you may consider buying 2 or 3 X-drives and backup you photos to the 3 x-drives from your CF every time.

i actually bought a second hand laptop just for this purpose. Together with an XDrive, i get a double backup for event coverage.

i don't feel very inspired by the XDrive's reliability. i've since sold it and gotten a Nixvue lite. Makes a great companion with the laptop.

CYRN said:

Think getting a laptop would be great. In addition being able to see your pictures and archiving them properly, you would also be able to edit your pictures on the go. So that would be a plus point. However, laptops are not light. So that is something to consider as you carry it around along with the rest of your photo equipment

I carry one laptop .... and dun see the need to!!! :eek:
Buy more memory cards ... shoot a few more!!! ;p
think of the equipments u have to carry ... :cry:

laptop is least important equipment you need but it is the most important accessories you want!!! :think:

Regarding murphy law, maybe those who shoot film can pass some tips on how to overcome this problem!!! :blah:

The morale of the story is:
Dun buy a laptop just for ur camera!!!
unless u have extra $$$

Laptop does not circumvent murphy's law. While on biz trip to the US, I copied images from CF to laptop (but the thing didn't have CD Burner) and when I got back, the hdd was dead. Won't boot, won't be recognized.

Murphy's law will also "ensure" your burned CD got scratched, unreadable, etc, or make the lab screw up the film on your really unlucky day.

That's life. :(

Regards
CK

Get an Apple laptop with iPhoto and move them over that way. Uploads the pics automatically.
Panasonic (I think) also came out with a little device that uploads pics, and has a screen. I suppose that would work too, and have a nice little viewer.

dampeoples said:
Get an Apple laptop with iPhoto and move them over that way. Uploads the pics automatically.
Panasonic (I think) also came out with a little device that uploads pics, and has a screen. I suppose that would work too, and have a nice little viewer.

If you are using a mac, think its better to use other programs like photogridz or Nikon view. iPhoto is not very good.

coke21 said:
If you are using a mac, think its better to use other programs like photogridz or Nikon view. iPhoto is not very good.
What's so much nicer about these other apps? I use iPhoto as a catalog pretty much, an easy way to find what i'm looking for, and a drop dead easy way to get my pics into the computer.

dampeoples said:
What's so much nicer about these other apps? I use iPhoto as a catalog pretty much, an easy way to find what i'm looking for, and a drop dead easy way to get my pics into the computer.

For starters iPhoto is a little tad slow. the other applications are like your windows explorer, very easy to access....I find that iPhoto has a very funny way of archiving the photos. When you want to serach for them it isn't that easy unless you open iPhoto itself.

Anyhow its just a preference... if you like it then stick with it.

ckiang said:
Laptop does not circumvent murphy's law. While on biz trip to the US, I copied images from CF to laptop (but the thing didn't have CD Burner) and when I got back, the hdd was dead. Won't boot, won't be recognized.

Murphy's law will also "ensure" your burned CD got scratched, unreadable, etc, or make the lab screw up the film on your really unlucky day.

That's life. :(

Regards
CK

The problem with my existing X-drive is that once it completes the trsnafer..it just simply shuts down... I got no idea is the transfer is complete or not...

coke21 said:
For starters iPhoto is a little tad slow. the other applications are like your windows explorer, very easy to access....I find that iPhoto has a very funny way of archiving the photos. When you want to serach for them it isn't that easy unless you open iPhoto itself.

Anyhow its just a preference... if you like it then stick with it.

:blah: iPhoto was SLOW... it's not slow anymore in iPhoto 4 (part of iLife 2004).

I use iView Media Pro and iPhoto... Fotostation native should be around shortly.

oeyvind said:
:blah: iPhoto was SLOW... it's not slow anymore in iPhoto 4 (part of iLife 2004).

I use iView Media Pro and iPhoto... Fotostation native should be around shortly.

Yup mac has imporved the new iPhoto 4 quite a bit i must say. Start up is faster. But still don't like how they store the pictures. Just downloaded the iView must say it looks very good...:D

coke21 said:
Yup mac has imporved the new iPhoto 4 quite a bit i must say. Start up is faster. But still don't like how they store the pictures. Just downloaded the iView must say it looks very good...:D

Mac/Macintosh is the computer.... It's Apple Computer, Inc. that makes the Mac and most of its nice software and OS.

CYRN said:
The problem with my existing X-drive is that once it completes the trsnafer..it just simply shuts down... I got no idea is the transfer is complete or not...

i tink this is a 'feature' of the drive leh. u go read the details of the xdrive hor ... seems to be some 'power saving' feature. i tink it happens to xdrive II as well. sometimes i oso worry, so press the 'copy' again lah :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.