Is laminating a photo a good method to preserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Just want to pick the brains of you guys or gals here.

We all know printed photographs, both inkjets and emulsion printed, fade over time due to exposure to light and air.

Does anyone have any information on whether laminating a photograph, with those ibico laminators, will help to eliminate the second factor, air contact, and thus help to preserve the dyes from shifting or fading?

Also I have heard that certain synthetic materials have detrimental effect, ie, certain materials emit harmful gases which may actually cause the dyes to fade even faster. Does the material on laminating sheets have this harmful chemicals?

Any comments, advice, appreciated.

I am concerned with the high temperature the prrint has to go through during the laminating process.

Also, the laminating material, while keeing the print from direct contact with the atmosphere, may contain chemicals that are more harmful to the print.

I would prefer to either frame the prints for display or store them in clear folders.

If there is a digital copy of the image, I would pay more attention on preserving the digital copy then the print itself, since I can always re-print when necessary, using the latest technology available.

All in all I am personally not too concerned about the longevity of prints. If I print something in large format, I most likely do so to frame it for display. If I print in smaller format, I most likely do so for sharing with friends and relatives.

Thanks Roy,

It's kind of late for you there in Seattle.

For clear folders, are talking about those office type, or special ones designed to hold photographic materials?

I know that preserving the image digitally is more important than transient chemical reproductions, I am already doing it. Just that when you spend a couple dollars printing some images, you want to preserve them the best you could.

Off the thread, since you are so near to Mt Rainier, bet you got plenty of nice mountain shots in your library.;)

Originally posted by Ansel
Thanks Roy,

It's kind of late for you there in Seattle.

For clear folders, are talking about those office type, or special ones designed to hold photographic materials?

I know that preserving the image digitally is more important than transient chemical reproductions, I am already doing it. Just that when you spend a couple dollars printing some images, you want to preserve them the best you could.

Off the thread, since you are so near to Mt Rainier, bet you got plenty of nice mountain shots in your library.;)

I was referring to the normal office type clear folders only, since longevity is not a really a big concern for me.

Since this is your thread and you OT it to talk about Mt Rainier...

The last time I've been there was last July. Summer is here already, and it's time to plan another trip.

Some earlier shots here:
http://www.pbase.com/roygoh/rainier

And one of my favourites:
abe.jpg

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
I was referring to the normal office type clear folders only, since longevity is not a really a big concern for me.

Since this is your thread and you OT it to talk about Mt Rainier...

The last time I've been there was last July. Summer is here already, and it's time to plan another trip.

Some earlier shots here:
http://www.pbase.com/roygoh/rainier

And one of my favourites:
abe.jpg

- Roy

Yummy!!

Originally posted by roygoh
I am concerned with the high temperature the prrint has to go through during the laminating process.

Also, the laminating material, while keeing the print from direct contact with the atmosphere, may contain chemicals that are more harmful to the print.
There are cold laminators available for prints/photos.

Not sure, though, about chemical reaction.

FWIW, I have printed numerous photos off my Epson 1270 and have not experienced fading as bad as those reported early. Those prints are still hanging off my office cubicle walls - need to caution that office environment is probably better controlled in terms of temperature and relatively lower humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.