Is L plate is really good for potrait shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkaido88

Dec 29, 2007
Does the L plate is a need for studio photography? Does anyone who have use it never go back to the conventional rotating the ballhead to 9pm?

Does the L plate like Really right stuff really justify of it's cost and you all find it worth getting it?

How many of you use tripod and a good ballhead for potrait shooting in studio ?

I think I've only ever met 1 photog who used an L plate. Most photogs I know also don't use a tripod, they prefer the freedom of hand-holding. In a studio shoot, I use the studio strobes anyway, so no point in an L-plate.

All my corporate photographer acquaintances uses tripod for practically 98% of their on-location and studio shoots. It's a more professional setup and if you have a client with you during a shoot it will prevent shifting of angle where usually even the slightest can affect the client's perception as they've 'approved' the initial one. Also, if you need to adjust your lighting/subject in the middle of shoot, you can leave your camera without worrying about forgetting the angle. Even if you've assistants, there're chances where you still need to leave your camera for gawd knows what.

The 2 percent remaining applies to shots like non-posed shots where you need the ease of moving around to keep up or fashion shoot with professional model where you need to keep up with them as they pose. Depends la I guess on what you're shooting. Product photography, no brainer, if you don't use tripod... thumbs up. But L plate? Never....

Last edited:
What if let say you want to include yourself? Would you guy would buy a tripod,ballhead for that or still would forgo it?

So no tripod and what's more of L plate for potrait shoot for most of the people?

By all means get the RRS L-Plate, you won't know what flexibility it has till you have it. Never regretted a moment investing in one, though its a little on the expensive side especially for my 1Ds. A strong plus point is it does not get in the way even when you hand hold the camera.

Last edited:
As in you want to mount the camera to shoot yourself in a studio?

No. let say I'm vacationing in overseas. sometimes I want to shoot myself or group shoot to include myself.

I bet you guys would have this situation but do you guy think of getting one or still wont consider it?

I think you got the wrong idea about the L Plate, with or without an L plate you still need a ballhead

All my corporate photographer acquaintances uses tripod for practically 98% of their on-location and studio shoots. It's a more professional setup and if you have a client with you during a shoot it will prevent shifting of angle where usually even the slightest can affect the client's perception as they've 'approved' the initial one. Also, if you need to adjust your lighting/subject in the middle of shoot, you can leave your camera without worrying about forgetting the angle. Even if you've assistants, there're chances where you still need to leave your camera for gawd knows what.

The 2 percent remaining applies to shots like non-posed shots where you need the ease of moving around to keep up or fashion shoot with professional model where you need to keep up with them as they pose. Depends la I guess on what you're shooting. Product photography, no brainer, if you don't use tripod... thumbs up. But L plate? Never....

u got it spot on! :thumbsup:

twnll, maybe I should be make myself clearer. I know L plate need a ballhead, clamp and of course a tripod :).

My question is the setup itself, including the L-plate.

I rarely see people using tripod with a good ballhead, what's more of a L plate.

Thus want to know how many of you using it.

And why you don't use it.

No sweat, good legs, ballhead, L-plate and u are good to go! I dun see many people investing in tripod I suppose they don't like carrying them about. I have two tripods, a heavy one with 3-sections, which is always in my car which I use very often for location shoots and a lighter 4-section one for travel use. Both shares the same ballhead - a Markins M10. The RRS L-Plate is always attached on the body.

My opinion on L plate

Useful when I was a hobbyist and loves gadget, bought it once only.

Now find it a useless scrap metal. The ballhead, 3 way pan head etc all can just tilt 90 deg so why need them. Furthermore each L plate by RSS etc fit only the specific model, each time change camera must also change the L plate. Waste of $

My opinion on L plate

Now find it a useless scrap metal. The ballhead, 3 way pan head etc all can just tilt 90 deg so why need them. Furthermore each L plate by RSS etc fit only the specific model, each time change camera must also change the L plate. Waste of $

yea, technically the ballhead is more worthwhile

My opinion on L plate

Thanks chngpe01 for reminding me. Unless I won't change the camera for a long time, it's quite waste of $$, just like buying thing at a whimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.