Is Kenko filters value for money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Looking at 72mm UV and CPL filters.

The Kenko UV is $50 and CPL is $100.

Got better alternatives? (more referring lower price yet good quality)

UV filters does not matter right? since it does not render the color.

Well, I got Hoya 72mm. Its the cheapest I find.

how much is the Hoya72mm?

Actually got difference leh...
When u put a good one and a normal one together, the colour and clarity is noticeable.

And which is best value for money CPL?
CPL quite important.

tokina 77mm CPL cost $40, new.

tink its cheap and is currently using.

good or no good, i dunno.

Yup... There is a slight colouration difference. I was once shown a $20 Hoya beside a $50 Kenko. The Hoya have a slight yellowish tint, whereas the Kenko was clear...

a tokina UV filter for $40? think better to get a hoya or kenko Pro 1D series of protector filter ..

I always use HOYA since it is the cheapest available. :)

My 50mm f1.4 lens had used Kenko and HOYA filter before but did not encounter any yellow tint incident before. But will keep a look out in the future. :)

Tokina, Hoya and Kenko are three marketing "brand names"! But all their filters come from the same roof, from the same factory, the same company.

food for thought... u buy a great lens... say $500 dollars... suppose to take great picture because the lens is created by a great company...

Now u wanna put a cheap piece of glass in front of that lens to protect it? doesn't seem to make sense to me... anyway dust and accidental smudges are easy to clean off with a blower and a piece of specs cloth...

Tokina, Hoya and Kenko are three marketing "brand names"! But all their filters come from the same roof, from the same factory, the same company.

u mean they purposely manufacture different grades/quality and label them under different brands?
how sure are u?

actually good or bad, or how good or how bad is really hard to judge, esp for layman like most of us.

our assumptions are based more on price, perspective, hear-say, cosmetic etc rather than hard, scientific readings.

many times, things aint as clear as it seems.

Hi I just bought a Tokina 76mm CPL from Cathay and after discount it's $30. The salesman told me the same thing; Tokina and Hoya are exactly the same as he showed me the Hoya casing with the sentence, "Made by Tokina". Quality wise I am not sure. An issue of Lexus and Toyota.

i want a better grade CPL.... which one should i get? Budget must be less than 100.
B+W i cannot afford (just like BMW)

Tokina IS crap...i was once shown a tokina cpl beside a kenko one(the pro1 digital WITH coating).

First of all, please remember, tokina one has no coating, and for hoya one, when you compare with kenko, must compare the same type(ie. coating with coating)...of course if u compare hoya non coating with kenko coated, hoya will be cheaper rite, as for hoya coated vs. kenko coated, i did not exactly check the prices, but what i was told by TK foto is that hoya would cost more...why is that so? cause the hoya filters are purchase from the local distributer, who marks up the prices a bit ...whereas for kenko, they get it direct from japan, so without the middle man per say...so its cheaper.

okie back to tokina, why do i say its crap? the fact that i was able to see visual differences between the image quality through the CPL compared to the kenko really amazed me...james from TK put a cleaning cloth on the table(there were some words on it...), and he put the tokina CPL and the Kenko CPL on top of it..you could actually see that the wordings through the tokina one was not shap at all, looked cloudy...whereas the one through kenko was sharp and clear.

I am not saying that kenko is the best, i am just saying that there IS a difference in the price you pay...if u do not mind, sure go ahead..yups..

as for coating and non coating, well the coating is supposed to reduce flaring...whether you wan it its really up to you..yupz...

On a side note, there was once i went to OP to ask the price for kenko filters. In TK i got the 77mm Pro1 UV for 50+....OP quoted me only 30+ i think...not sure about the source of their filters..he might have quoted wrongly or i got cheated in TK(which i doubt so..) nonetheless, the CPL were pretty much the same price.....so..haha

anyway with a budget of $100, go for the Kenko Pro1 CPl la..its slim in profile, yet enough to attach a front cap...=)

Tokina IS crap...i was once shown a tokina cpl beside a kenko one(the pro1 digital WITH coating).

First of all, please remember, tokina one has no coating, and for hoya one, when you compare with kenko, must compare the same type(ie. coating with coating)...of course if u compare hoya non coating with kenko coated, hoya will be cheaper rite, as for hoya coated vs. kenko coated, i did not exactly check the prices, but what i was told by TK foto is that hoya would cost more...why is that so? cause the hoya filters are purchase from the local distributer, who marks up the prices a bit ...whereas for kenko, they get it direct from japan, so without the middle man per say...so its cheaper.

okie back to tokina, why do i say its crap? the fact that i was able to see visual differences between the image quality through the CPL compared to the kenko really amazed me...james from TK put a cleaning cloth on the table(there were some words on it...), and he put the tokina CPL and the Kenko CPL on top of it..you could actually see that the wordings through the tokina one was not shap at all, looked cloudy...whereas the one through kenko was sharp and clear.

I am not saying that kenko is the best, i am just saying that there IS a difference in the price you pay...if u do not mind, sure go ahead..yups..

as for coating and non coating, well the coating is supposed to reduce flaring...whether you wan it its really up to you..yupz...

On a side note, there was once i went to OP to ask the price for kenko filters. In TK i got the 77mm Pro1 UV for 50+....OP quoted me only 30+ i think...not sure about the source of their filters..he might have quoted wrongly or i got cheated in TK(which i doubt so..) nonetheless, the CPL were pretty much the same price.....so..haha

anyway with a budget of $100, go for the Kenko Pro1 CPl la..its slim in profile, yet enough to attach a front cap...=)

i ran around yesterday to compare prices and quality of the filters.
It seems that TK's Kenko pro1d @$50 is worth it, and hence i bought.
Now i have doubts about CPL coz its not easy to test with my little knowledge about it.
The UV filter is quite simple to test.

i ran around yesterday to compare prices and quality of the filters.
It seems that TK's Kenko pro1d @$50 is worth it, and hence i bought.
Now i have doubts about CPL coz its not easy to test with my little knowledge about it.
The UV filter is quite simple to test.

the CPL for Kenko is good too, just trust the guys at TK lo...

anyway the price i stated($100 is actually for 72mm)...my bad...yup...

so far i think TK photo gave me good impression.... just tat i dun readily trust any shops.
Coz some shops they just want to push certain products and hence become quite biased.
I went to another shop at peninsular there 2nd floor, this shop i had a few dealing with them and so far happy with their service and the trust level is somewhat established (though not fully).
They told me Hoya CPL is still much better than Kenko.
To them the Kenko is just chapalang brand

is the CPL multi-coated?

don't think can get a 72mm multi coated CPL at $100.

;)

tomorrow i going down to TK to buy if the $100 one i saw is multicoated

Status
Not open for further replies.