Is "Just now" Broken english??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
I was thinking about this when i was washing my hands, earlier on. Haa. So is "just now" broken english?

OzOn3 said:
I was thinking about this when i was washing my hands, earlier on. Haa. So is "just now" broken english?
I guess it depends on how you use it.

If you start a sentence with 'just now'

For Example "Just now I saw him in the canteen"

Then, it's "broken english" or rather it is grammatically incorrect.

The grammatically correct answer should be "I saw him in the canteen just now."

Unless its used in the following way:
A: "When did you see him?"

B: "Just now."

That's grammatically correct.
:D

Zplus said:
Unless its used in the following way:
A: "When did you see him?"

B: "Just now."

That's grammatically correct.
:D
I guess that's acceptable in conversational English when you are talking.

Usually in written english, you might have to write "I saw him just now" instead of simply "just now". unless you use quotes (") to indicate a dialogue like your example.

Anyway, my English is not that good, so I stand corrected.

let me tell you a story.I'm with a group of friends chatting when i say "By Right", one of my friend corrected me.he say there is no such phrase, the correct way is to say "rightfully". but when his HP ring, he answer "You are who"!! translate to hokkien is "lu see tiang" from that day onwards,whenever he call me, i will just tell him that he is "You are who".

so just now is a grammatically correct phrase?? Because i thought now would mean "present", and just would mean the "near past".. So using "just now" is like making no sense right?

andylee said:
let me tell you a story.I'm with a group of friends chatting when i say "By Right", one of my friend corrected me.he say there is no such phrase, the correct way is to say "rightfully". but when his HP ring, he answer "You are who"!! translate to hokkien is "lu see tiang" from that day onwards,whenever he call me, i will just tell him that he is "You are who".
I guess you tend to use different languages in different situations in front of a different audience.

A waiter in a 'kopi tiam' and a waiter in a fine dining resturant like 'Raffles Grill' use different language to converse with their customers.

For a newscaster, it is important for him to speak good english/chinese to the viewers.

However when he is ordering char kway tiao from a hawker during lunch
He will probably say "uncle, mai see hum" instead of "no cockles, please"

However it does not mean learning the right way is not important.

OzOn3 said:
so just now is a grammatically correct phrase?? Because i thought now would mean "present", and just would mean the "near past".. So using "just now" is like making no sense right?
"Just now" is a phrase.
You have to use it together. when separated, they mean differently.

Like "Catch up" is a phrase. when you split the word apart. they have a different meaning.

Actually, what Singaporeans understand "just now" to mean is not correct except in the local context. We think it means "a moment ago", but almost everywhere else you go it means "right now", eg "I'm just now doing my homework", or "I'm watching TV just now", or "Just now I'm packing my camera bag".

So the grammar shouldn't be what's in question, or even the placement of the phrase (you can use it wherever you use "now"). It's the meaning. It's a localised variant.

discolite said:
Actually, what Singaporeans understand "just now" to mean is not correct except in the local context. We think it means "a moment ago", but almost everywhere else you go it means "right now", eg "I'm just now doing my homework", or "I'm watching TV just now", or "Just now I'm packing my camera bag".

So the grammar shouldn't be what's in question, or even the placement of the phrase (you can use it wherever you use "now"). It's the meaning. It's a localised variant.

Bingo. If someone asked me what it means, my translation would probably be, "at this moment", which is not quite how it's used in Singapore.

There are plenty of Singaporeanisms about... irregardless being the oft quoted one, that I saw on this forum just the other day. As opposed to, just now. :bsmilie: And if anyone doubts, I really did see it just the other day.

Jed said:
There are plenty of Singaporeanisms about... irregardless being the oft quoted one, that I saw on this forum just the other day. As opposed to, just now. :bsmilie: And if anyone doubts, I really did see it just the other day.

irregardless is another Singaporean thing cos "regardless" will do :D

To make it correct we use "Just now lor" :D

discolite said:

Exactly!! That was what i had in mind!! Great that you voiced it first :D

Convoy said:
"Just now" does not mean "right now".
According to Dictionary.com , it means "only a moment ago".

Huh? That means it's an acceptable term?? it's recognized as "a moment ago"? Cool! We learn new things everyday don't we!? :D

OzOn3 said:
Huh? That means it's an acceptable term?? it's recognized as "a moment ago"? Cool! We learn new things everyday don't we!? :D

I would say, just use the language that is understandable by the person u're conversing with. Over-emphasis on what is "correct" and what is not, really makes no sense. At many times, what is "correct" before, may not be "correct" all the time, depending on culture, time and place etc... language like most other things, changes with time and environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.