Is it worthwhile?

wlhoh76

Jan 13, 2005
Singapore
Ever since I started transitting from pNS to DSLR, I have renewed my interest in photography. My preference is on shooting candid portraits, abstracts, occasionally scenaries. Having said these, I am still a noob, shooting anythg that comes to me as long as I have the camera.

Like modding a vehicle, it is really very addictive. Now I am wondering whether I should invest in a flash, i.e. 580 EXII. However, apart from using it for wedding or company Dinners, I cannot think of other areas to use it in. Is it worthwhile to invest in one? Can I ask bros here who are not really into flash photography...do u all use it often or just more like a white elephant in ya dri-cab...

Not trying to get flammed here. Just hope to solicit more views to help me understand and justify the need.

It is def worth it.. Go get it..
There's endless creative opportunities with Flash photography, more than just fill light.. :)

Ever since I started transitting from pNS to DSLR, I have renewed my interest in photography. My preference is on shooting candid portraits, abstracts, occasionally scenaries. Having said these, I am still a noob, shooting anythg that comes to me as long as I have the camera.

Like modding a vehicle, it is really very addictive. Now I am wondering whether I should invest in a flash, i.e. 580 EXII. However, apart from using it for wedding or company Dinners, I cannot think of other areas to use it in. Is it worthwhile to invest in one? Can I ask bros here who are not really into flash photography...do u all use it often or just more like a white elephant in ya dri-cab...

Not trying to get flammed here. Just hope to solicit more views to help me understand and justify the need.

Welcome to ClubSNAP.

Buy a flash. Definitely need it. Sometimes you need a flash to take pics in the daytime when the sun is facing you. I don't use flash often but it is there when I need it.

By the same analogy, you need to eat but I can't give you more views why you need to eat if you know where I am coming from.

Last edited:
Bros, thks for the reply. I value your opinions. I may open up and look ard for 2nd hand seller in this forum. Seems like after flash, it will continue to tripod..balls......other accessories lol...no end to the poison. But all these will come in handy :)

Bros, thks for the reply. I value your opinions. I may open up and look ard for 2nd hand seller in this forum. Seems like after flash, it will continue to tripod..balls......other accessories lol...no end to the poison. But all these will come in handy :)
Welcome to CS..
Photography is a very diverse hobby. There are many genres within photography, which sort of determines what gear you should get. Of course the major determining factor is usually affordability. Next is probably size/weight.
For example, if you're primarily a landscape photographer, it might make sense to invest in a good support system FIRST, instead of splurging on a flash.
Conversely, if you're primarily an events photographer, you might place items such as fast lens and flash much higher on your shopping list.

Personally i feel 580EXII is an overkill for most casual photographers.

go for 430EX or around that range.

Good enuff.

Keep the extra $$$ for a prime.

Personally i feel 580EXII is an overkill for most casual photographers.

go for 430EX or around that range.

Good enuff.

Keep the extra $$$ for a prime.

Thanks. It makes sense for me. As I am still on the exploratory stage, I am considering getting a 2nd hand 430 or 580 to try out 1st. Alternatively to get 3rd party like the popular Nissin i866 to try out.

By the way, is there a life span that dictates whether the flash will stop working...in terms of no. of flashes used, e.g. use 500 times than need to changeout bulb or smthg like that. Sorry for the noob question.

Last edited:
bulb of cos has a lifespan.

For me, i doubt most reseller here can kill a bulb..

so u must know who u buying from..

for "pro", most likely their stuff are very well utilised..

so esp flash..is a no-no..unless the price is very attractive..:bsmilie:

Thanks. It makes sense for me. As I am still on the exploratory stage, I am considering getting a 2nd hand 430 or 580 to try out 1st. Alternatively to get 3rd party like the popular Nissin i866 to try out.

By the way, is there a life span that dictates whether the flash will stop working...in terms of no. of flashes used, e.g. use 500 times than need to changeout bulb or smthg like that. Sorry for the noob question.

If you're on a budget then get a 2nd hand. However 2nd hand stuff is rather unpredictable. You never really know the reason why the previous owner decided to let it go.

There is a lifespan for bulbs, usually it gets dimmer and dimmer until one day you notice that the flash is not powerful enough to light up your shots. I use a i866 as a secondary flash but there are some people who buy the same flash reported problems with it. So if you buy, you got to really test it out.

Besides flash, don't forget the important bag for your gears. Lastly, there's the tripod which you may need to take group photos.

When I had most of the equipment(apart from lens that nv seems enuff), I was wondering and considering hard if I shd buy a flash coz I seldom used it. Eventually, I still bought 1 coz it was quite agonizing when u wana use it and u don't have it...then when u use only ur built-in flash, it could only angle straight and not able to bounce...quite limited...

so I support...buy buy buy...at ur own budget tt is...

Getting a flash is a good idea. Some may agree that the onboard flash may suffice but bear in mind that longer/larger lenses often prohibit effective use of onboard flashes since they cast nasty shadows. Use your flash creatively (Smoke, Product, Night, Remote-Triggered, etc) and you'd find it useful. Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
if u dont have the need to do multiple light setting, dont need very strong flash power, dont need high frequency flashing (ie dont need the power pack), than go for the canon's 4 series flash.

if u dont have the need to do multiple light setting, dont need very strong flash power, dont need high frequency flashing (ie dont need the power pack), than go for the canon's 4 series flash.

Juz to open more doors...some 3rd party flash perform reasonably at a lower cost...:)

Juz to open more doors...some 3rd party flash perform reasonably at a lower cost...:)

yes, but from recent post in cs, i see many problems using them, since price of a canon 4 series flash & 3rd party flash is not big, i personally will prefer using canon's own.

My preference is on shooting candid portraits, abstracts, occasionally scenaries.

Portraits, yes you need a flash. Probably a 430 will suffice.
Scenaries, you will need a tripod, maybe some filters, remote, etc

So the qn is what will you shoot more, and which area do you want to explore first?

Yes I think you need . I was in similar situation myself thinking I ll never need a flash since I shoot mainly landscapes. The recent venture into events shooting and coverage , made me regret not getting a decent flash. The onboard flash isnt ideal and the output arent desirable.

PLus , the flash opens up new options for you to take more creative shots as mentioned in the earlier posts.

IMO you should get one. It will definitely come in handy when you're taking pics under low light situations or when taking portrait with sun behind the subject etc. For all you know you might even start to explore flash photography once you've laid your hands on one ;)

Must get one, light is one of the most important factor in photography

Thank u folks for all the valuable comments. It looks pretty obvious which direction I will be heading based on everyone's opinions and advice.

Happened to be in Marina Square today and checked out price for 580EXII in CP. I was quoted $758. Still very expensive. My budget is about 650 - 700. Nevertheless, will keep looking out. Thanks to all!

huh??

despite our recommendation for 4 series flash, u are still looking at 5 series??

then get a 2nd hand one at around $580