Is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
I'm thinking of buying a CPL for my 400D kit lens dia58mm, question is, is it worth buying? Cos considering that i may upgrade in the future and worry that I wasted the money... I read some thread many mentioned 72mm. Is it common?

i got it anyways. coz i no money to upgrade :bsmilie:
if u intent to upgrade in the near future then might not be worth buying...unless u really need.

I tot might just leeave out first and go on with my lens w/o CPL but just now I saw a comparison, I then realised it improve so much! No wonder why my picture look so...like missing out something. My inexperience is one factor for not taking a good photo but i think CPL can improve it somehow... right?

dun tink the CPL is something u wan to leave on your lens most of the time.

cus it cuts too much light, and will make the already slow kit lens even slower.

but i do tink its a filter that most photographers will find very useful.

CPL can give the desire effect given the right condition. but i doubt it will dramatically improve the quality of ones photographs. its still the basics: focus, exposure, composition, depth of field, shutter speed... ...

dun tink the CPL is something u wan to leave on your lens most of the time.

cus it cuts too much light, and will make the already slow kit lens even slower.

but i do tink its a filter that most photographers will find very useful.

CPL can give the desire effect given the right condition. but i doubt it will dramatically improve the quality of ones photographs. its still the basics: focus, exposure, composition, depth of field, shutter speed... ...

yes. even a CPL cannot make a slightly blue sky deep blue.
manily to cut reflections. and use a tripod! :)

CPL useful for bright sunny days, or when taking photos of fishes in ponds or through a glass. It filters out reflected lights, also makes the sky appears more blue. If you takes lots of outdoor shot in bright sunny days, then it is useful.

I got one CPL from a small shop at level 2 of Suntec City. Made in Malaysia and claimed to have used glass made in Japan. It cost me less than $40 for dia 58mm. The IQ may not be as good as the branded ones, but its good enough for my skill level on the kit lens.
You may want to consider this more 'economical' option if you do not intend to keep kit lens for too long.

CPL do not make me a better photog, but it helps in situations mentioned above.

both TK and Cathay sell the tokina 77mm CPL for $40.

the 58mm should be quite a bit cheaper.

CPL is a very useful filter if you know how to use it correctly. I would suggest getting a good CPL of 77mm size, then use a step down adapter for your 58mm diameter lenses. Even if you decide to get more lenses of various filter diameter, you still use the same CPL. Just change the adapter.

A good CPL would be B+W, but for 77mm, you'll be looking at more than 100+ dollars. It is expensive, but you are getting a quality CPL filter.

You can always consider the Cokin CPL with adaptor rings for all your lenses. Maybe can consider Tianya ones as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.