is it worth to service these lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klsss

Sep 30, 2002
USA ( upper serangoon area)
Visit site
i have this two old lens form my girl friend both with fungus ( very badly ) do you think i should send them for cleaning ?

the lens are Sigma APO AF 70-210mm F2.8 and Tamron SP 35-105MM MF

how much n where can i get them clean ? any advice ?

both MF or AF?

If u intended to use it, then u need to send them for servicing. If u intended to sell, then u might as well sell as they are now.

The fungus might have eaten/attacked the coating...

if u are dumping the Tamron, can I have it :)

well let me check with my girl if she still want it , personally i dont used MF lens .

i just take another look into the lens , it had jus 1 small little fungus at the edge of front element otherwise very clean .

but the sigma AF is relly bad .:(

klsss,
In Tamron, SP stands for Super Performance, so that's their high end series of lenses. I have not try the 35-105mm before, but if ur girl doesn't want it...I hope to inherit it from u. :)

Try Camera Workshop and see if they can clean the Sigma. All the best! ;)

i never like to service lens. any mishandling while cleaning the lens will cause a lost in it's percision. Hence, to me it's never worthwhile. I will rather let go at a low cost & buy new one.

Originally posted by jtnet
i never like to service lens. any mishandling while cleaning the lens will cause a lost in it's percision. Hence, to me it's never worthwhile. I will rather let go at a low cost & buy new one.

I agree (partly), that's why I sent my lenses (Nikkor) to Nikon for cleaning and servicing. Although the price might be slightly higher, but if they scratch or hurt the lens, at least I can complaint and they have the right element/tools to replace my lens. They care for their name more than $$$. They also have the equipment to test the allignment and light path of a lens after servicing. :)

if your GF don't want anymore, can I have the sigma ? :)

please ?

:)

honestly speaking, dont bother. get something better. unless u really love them

Originally posted by klsss
i just take another look into the lens , it had jus 1 small little fungus at the edge of front element otherwise very clean .

but the sigma AF is relly bad .:(

If it's just a little speck on the edge of an element, then don't worry, it'll not affect your picture. Just continue to use it as it is.

As for the sigma, check how much it is to service it, compare it with the price of a new lens then decide if it is worth servicing.

hi all...is it true that sigma lenses always get fungus ?I hav a 70-300....also kana!i looking for a new AF lens above 100mm,any recommendation(for portrait)?

thx all:)

Originally posted by RAIN_MAN
hi all...is it true that sigma lenses always get fungus ?I hav a 70-300....also kana!i looking for a new AF lens above 100mm,any recommendation(for portrait)?

thx all:)

well... any lens will get fungus if you don't take care of it properly...

Hi,
If you want to sell Tamron. let me know as I like tamrons lens.
Currently I am using 28-80 SP and 90mm SP. They are bright and very sharp and contrasty.
Aung

why your lens so jialat? how u take "care" wan har?:D

hmm?u mean u guys hav got no fungals problem with sigma lenses?i kept it in a dry box with fresh silicon gel.....

dun to the bad experience,iam considering to buy or not to buy another sigma lens (105mmEX F2.8)

Kho King said:
I agree (partly), that's why I sent my lenses (Nikkor) to Nikon for cleaning and servicing. Although the price might be slightly higher, but if they scratch or hurt the lens, at least I can complaint and they have the right element/tools to replace my lens. They care for their name more than $$$. They also have the equipment to test the allignment and light path of a lens after servicing. :)

hi, I have a Nikkor 35mm for Nikon series E..may i know where' u get to service.? where's this Nikon centre? and what's the price, cos if it's too high, might as well get a 2nd hand lens.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.