Is it worth to buy D200

boybawang

Oct 9, 2010
Hello, I would like to ask for your opinion whether is it still worth to buy D200. A friend of mine is selling his D200 and grip at $600. Thank you.

Hello, I would like to ask for your opinion whether is it still worth to buy D200. A friend of mine is selling his D200 and grip at $600. Thank you.

The D200 is still worth buying because it can still produce great pictures. It is the last CCD version for its range before CMOS for D300. I still prefer CCD colors... :)

Do a search of what the limitations are and ask yourself if you can live with it comparing what new cameras we have today...

Last edited:
The D200 is still worth buying because it can still produce great pictures. It is the last CCD version for is range before CMOS for D300. I still prefer CCD colors... :)

Do a search of what the limitations are and ask yourself if you can live with it comparing what new cameras we have today...

Thank you very much Gerald.

If your budget is around there, i suggest getting the D90. The D90 produces less noise than the D200 higher than ISO 1000. It's sharper, more MP and bigger LCD. However, D200 is a S-pro camera. It offers better body build and more frames per second.

D200 with grip at $600 is a steal. I own both D200 and D300, still prefer the color from D200 although D300 produces cleaner high ISO images.

If you don't need high ISOs, just get it. If you need to shoot at high ISOs, then no, there are bodies that have much better high ISO performance.

D200 and grip at $600 is a very good price.

I just worry about the shutter life. I know that D200 was approximately about 100,000-150,000 shutter clicks (in the lab). But D200 was firstly announced by the end of 2005. So the camera is approximately about 5 years old.

Maybe the camera already near the end of its shutter life ?

I think 2nd hand of D90 or new D3100 would be a better option ? :think:

For the price, it is worth if the shutter count is not too high.

The D200 is an amazing camera. I've been using mine since it came out and even after 5 years I only have about 60k actuations on the shutter. This is considering that I used to free lance with it for professional work. I've babies mine and it still good as new and produces amazing images as long as I shoot under 800iso. At 100iso to 400iso I don't even bother thinking about image quality cause I know the results will be just fine. If build quality and weather sealing matters to you just go for it.

Guys, thank you so much for all your inputs. I bought the camera already from my friend. Shutter count is about 65K though. I think it still has a long way to go to 100-150K shutter life span. Again, thank you very much. ;)

Guys, thank you so much for all your inputs. I bought the camera already from my friend. Shutter count is about 65K though. I think it still has a long way to go to 100-150K shutter life span. Again, thank you very much. ;)

Congratulations on the great buy... and don't worry about shutter count... it is just an estimate. There are many who use way over the estimated shutter life.

If you shoot 1000 pics a month, in 12 months, it would be 12,000 shots. It would take you 5 years to take 60,000 shots... so no worries... shoot and enjoy photography! :)

Just bring it out for some shooting!

Great buy! Have fun!

enjoy your new purchase! shoot more! :D

congrats on yr new cam! =) i ve been using a d200 for close to 5 years now. mines getting pretty beat up, shutter at 113k, but still producing superb shots. i recently got myself a D2H and that thing can still put out v nice IQ.

just shoot and have fun n dun worry too much

Get more batteries.

the d200 is quite a battery sucker. it's a vampire camera :D