Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetrode

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
http://digital.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070501_001.html

29 yr old lady dies of overwork after working 8hrs on notebook.

Singapore may now match first world countries in terms of standard of living and cost of living but the quality of life hasn't improved but degraded for the average joe.

What are we doing chasing the all mighty dollar? Is it all worth it?
And it doesn't look like it is going to get any easier if current thrends are anything to go by.

Do we really want to challenge the Japs on this?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=117&art_id=nw20070517081239240C435666

Is it little wonder that a significant number of natives are becoming quitters?

most of us got little choice. its abt survival mah...

yeah, its not like we have a choice...

its either you work hard and lead a better life, or you relax and feel left behind by the rest.

in singapore, the standard of living practically pushes us to go beyond our limits.

i think its all about how you find time to take a breather out of the intensive working lifestyle.

sometimes I look at my dad working so hard, taking his work home to do even after working straight 10 hours in ofice, it breaks my heart.

she is on contract, does not wish to lose a single day pay. She is forcing herself to work, I cannot say i pity her. She laid her own death bed.

25 years ago, I lived in Sg. People worked 6 days a week, long hours. Recreation consisted of knowing where is the best Bah Kut Teh! or some such issue.

Now I go to Sg about 3 times a year to visit the wife's rellies. It is the same, and has not changed. It is the Chinese thing.

Here in Aussie land, you see the best students in the school, and they are Chinese Kids; the researchers that they show on the telly are usually Asians. It is part of the will to succeed, to be successful. I don't know if it is really a bad thing, but it is a work ethic that is particular to the Asians of Chinese, Japanese and Korean type. I dare not say more with out the risk of sounding racist, which I am not.

It sometimes is hard to slow down and smell the roses.

PN

What is the use of having lots of money in the bank but not the health (and being too old) to enjoy it?

Also the cost of overwork doesn't just stop at the victim. It is also a societal problem as it leads to the breakdown of families/morals which leads to juvenile delinquency which leads to an increase in crime...etc.etc.

so poor thing. . all she wanted was to make life easier for the family.
I think its everybody's dream to live a comfortable life,
but at a price when it comes to deteriorating ones health it is not really worth.

but overworking is quite common here, so then how to solve this problem. . if we need to put food on the table

http://digital.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070501_001.html

29 yr old lady dies of overwork after working 8hrs on notebook.

Singapore may now match first world countries in terms of standard of living and cost of living but the quality of life hasn't improved but degraded for the average joe.

What are we doing chasing the all mighty dollar? Is it all worth it?
And it doesn't look like it is going to get any easier if current thrends are anything to go by.

Do we really want to challenge the Japs on this?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=117&art_id=nw20070517081239240C435666

Is it little wonder that a significant number of natives are becoming quitters?

cannot compare Japan with Singapore... becos Japan has this "must do" culture since olden days.

Morever, weather in Japan is cooler than Singapore. The brain and body performed much poorer when temperatures are higher outside.

cannot compare Japan with Singapore... becos Japan has this "must do" culture since olden days.

Morever, weather in Japan is cooler than Singapore. The brain and body performed much poorer when temperatures are higher outside.

But Sgrean society has adopted the Japanese work ethic.

With airconditioning in offices in Sg - how does temperature come into things?:dunno:

Working this hard is never worth it.
I'm sure that lady wasn't expecting to die. Who expects to die on a desk job?
But this should be a wake up call for people to assess what is really important in their lives.

Why work so hard?
If you're working so hard and still feel that you're still not earning enough, it's time to change job already.

Why work so hard?
If you're working so hard and still feel that you're still not earning enough, it's time to change job already.

It depends on your boss. Most boss wants to see some blood for the salary paid to you - hence the the coining of the phase "can see blood when I tear my notes (money)".

You don't see Australian bosses call you after office hours or during sick leaves about work- or question you how come you are ill. They respect privacy and personal lives. I guess it will never happen in SG though.

Pace of life in Singapore is the fastest in the world. That is = above average = abnormal. (depends on how you see it)

I found it telling when the mother asked the boss if her daughter was overworked and he answered "no"..........either he sincerely didn't know she was, or he was just ignorant to the workload?

HS

I found it telling when the mother asked the boss if her daughter was overworked and he answered "no"..........either he sincerely didn't know she was, or he was just ignorant to the workload?

HS

Simple question, "Can a boss say he/she don't know what his/her subordinates are doing?"

No one will agree that others had overworked; they will only claim they themselves have too much work.

It is this "who cares" attitude that Sheol was constructed specifically to the expectance of the high influx of current and future qualified residents which apparently many are already qualified today as of today.

It's always "me", "mine", "I", "I am"; though sometimes it is deviously covered up with "we think", "we had decided to", or "You don't own this", "You are not fit", "You didn't pay to".

Let them be, let them migrate, the sooner the better, and for that, I'm won't make myself available to send them off.

sometimes its not so much the boss but due to a concept called flow, when you just get so into work that you just can't stop... have worked 9-5 previously... 9am to 5am that is... 20hrs straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.