Is it Worth It to Convert Film to Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi,

i was doing some calculations as i was about to develop a roll of film.

i was shooting using a LOMO SuperSampler, this being the case, i wont know how my shots are going to turn out, cos i think u have almost no control over a LOMO.

assuming i develop a roll of film(36 exp), it'll be around $15 at a normal developing shop? was at Standard Photo($18), and if i dont like half my shots, it'll be quite costly?

but if i scan my film into digital format($2.50 - $6.00) a roll, then select photos i am happy with, and pay maybe($0.20 - $0.25) per pic,

do u guys reckon its gonna be more economical
cos i the only pics i take in film is will be from LOMOs

thanks

wainism said:
hi,

i was doing some calculations as i was about to develop a roll of film.

i was shooting using a LOMO SuperSampler, this being the case, i wont know how my shots are going to turn out, cos i think u have almost no control over a LOMO.

assuming i develop a roll of film(36 exp), it'll be around $15 at a normal developing shop? was at Standard Photo($18), and if i dont like half my shots, it'll be quite costly?

but if i scan my film into digital format($2.50 - $6.00) a roll, then select photos i am happy with, and pay maybe($0.20 - $0.25) per pic,

do u guys reckon its gonna be more economical
cos i the only pics i take in film is will be from LOMOs

thanks

why not just ask them to print 1 sheet of index prints? cost abt $6 a sheet and u can see all 36 shots at one go. then u can pick and choose the ones u like for developing.

You can try grace digital. They charge $3 for developing, $2.50 for scanning and $1 for CD-rom.

It's at clementi. Do a search in Clubsnap. You should be able to find a thread by them.

Grace Digital is in Sunset Way, Clementi.

leadwe said:
You can try grace digital. They charge $3 for developing, $2.50 for scanning and $1 for CD-rom.

Right! that is what I do too. U can reuse the same CDR to burn up to 6 times/rolls, I use Grace too. Film ard $2.50, shoot finish -> pop in ard lunch -> collect evening. Total cost $5.50 (reuse my own CDR). Go home, look at the scan with my peecee, upload to my gallery for future reference, throw unwanted film into tupper fill with silicon. Once I have collect enuf better shoots, send to print. Can look at my scan sample, I dun edit or PS. I believe it could be better if PS but couldnt be bothered. I'm a purist.

erm...
scan - $2.50
develop - $3

what u mean by develop ah?

so whats the total cost of scanning in films?
(as in getting coloured digital images of my films?)

If u just finish shooting, u need to process the roll with E6 or C41 wat -> develop.

I have used both digital and film and I can only conclude that digital is purely for convenience and speed. Lately I went back to revisit film and was totally blown off AGAIN by it's dynamic range and tolerance to under/over exposure.

Buy cheap film ($3), process ($2.30), view negative under light box / but I normally ask for a fast scan to view on lab PC. That's how I choose. Normally film IS already shiok shiok, so on the ground chop chop rotate arbitary and chop if neccessary. If blur add some USM and save!! 2-3 hourscan collect liaoz. Normally if you shoot film, you already ponder and intend it for a good shot, else you will normally walk away. Hence it is for serious shooting.

For digital, I use a D70, more for opportunistic/ event/ free lance uses. As the customer will want faster results at lower costs IN BULK. Of coz digtial gives you the choice of ISO ranges which makes things easier. So if for hobbyists who intend to shoot for self, I will still stay with film. If I do it as a side line, I'll grab a cheap D70 and make it pay back for you. I hope my 2 cents worth helps...

wkcheah76 said:
I have used both digital and film and I can only conclude that digital is purely for convenience and speed. Lately I went back to revisit film and was totally blown off AGAIN by it's dynamic range and tolerance to under/over exposure.

Buy cheap film ($3), process ($2.30), view negative under light box / but I normally ask for a fast scan to view on lab PC. That's how I choose. Normally film IS already shiok shiok, so on the ground chop chop rotate arbitary and chop if neccessary. If blur add some USM and save!! 2-3 hourscan collect liaoz. Normally if you shoot film, you already ponder and intend it for a good shot, else you will normally walk away. Hence it is for serious shooting.

For digital, I use a D70, more for opportunistic/ event/ free lance uses. As the customer will want faster results at lower costs IN BULK. Of coz digtial gives you the choice of ISO ranges which makes things easier. So if for hobbyists who intend to shoot for self, I will still stay with film. If I do it as a side line, I'll grab a cheap D70 and make it pay back for you. I hope my 2 cents worth helps...

Woops i think I misunderstood the title... I still think BUY a film scanner!!! :) Long run good lar... :blah:

i am getting confused by everything!!! :S

so, after i shoot and wind my film... i just hand the "expended" film to the developer? and tell him i wanna scan into diigital?

and my total cost shd be ????

can someone pls help and clarify this?
i m totally lost!!!

Trot said:
Grace Digital is in Sunset Way, Clementi.

How is the scan from grace? I scanned at a few neighbourhood shops before and the scans come out overexposed (inaccurate auto leveling) and way too much sharpening.

reno77: You might want to check out Kex's scanning services. 6MP output for $6/roll direct scans with no adjustments.

wainism said:
i am getting confused by everything!!! :S

so, after i shoot and wind my film... i just hand the "expended" film to the developer? and tell him i wanna scan into diigital?

and my total cost shd be ????

can someone pls help and clarify this?
i m totally lost!!!

That would be $6.50 at Grace ($3(developing)+$2.5 (scanning)+$1 (cd-rom)).

If you have more than 1 roll, they can prob fit into one cd-rom.

Hmm, I tried out the scanning...
I don't know if it's the film or the scanner, but my pics came back a lot more noisy than I expected. Is that the case with anyone else?

Kex is a CSer also. can ask ard for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.