Is it worth buying a 2nd hand FL-40 or a Metz flash ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Is it better off buying a 2nd Hand FL-40 which has been used only a few time with warranty not sent out yet or

Is it better to get a cheap but new Metz 32-MZ3 rated at GN37m with a special shoe adapter for olympus camera?

The FL-40 is sold at $300 which the 32MZ3 is also about $300 but you need to add a $100 to get the shoe adapter for olympus.

I can only think of the advantage of metz when i am changing camera to another brand, i just need to change the adapter and don't have to junk it.

I need you guys and gal opinion.
Please comment on the capability of both the flash.

Song

Originally posted by mpenza
I suggest going for FL40. Later if you change your camera, sell off the FL40 at $400 ;p

Do you know that the bracket and syn cable is about $200?

Do you think it is still worth getting a TTL version?

Song

Song, if you get the Metz, I think you still need the the bracket and syn cable at about $200?

$500 is a lot of money. Might as well get the $90 cable, a $15 flash bracket and a $135 Vivitar 285HV, which is more powerful than the Metz 32MZ3.

$500 is a lot of money. Might as well get the $90 cable, a $15 flash bracket and a $135 Vivitar 285HV, which is more powerful than the Metz 32MZ3.

Mpenza, i heard from Tweek that you are very knowledgeable in flash. Would you like to advise me on the flash choice if i would like to have a flash unit which is as compact as possible but also with variable power function like the 285HV

I'm not really knowledgeable lah, just need to get one so read up a lot. since you're not probably going for TTL now, find an auto flash.

Metz 32Z1 is actually quite compact but it doesn't have "variable" power. I didn't think it's necessary though cos the flash sensor is accurate enough even for close-up/macro shots. A new one however costs ~$170, more than a 285HV (I just sold off mine for $100).

If you just want something cheap and works, you might want to try the ~$36 Achiever 260T (the trigger voltage seems to vary a lot. Streetshooter has a few which are <6V but I had one which may be spoilt and has a trigger voltage of 220V). However. there's no variable power as well and the flash doesn't swivel. It's lighter than the Metz 32Z1 if I'm not wrong.

Get the FL-40 , the Metz flas , it does not support red eye reduction .

I have see some samples with it , and all the people was had red eyes ..
And also its not that strong for far ..

So , its not good for close , its not good for far , i do wonder in what area this flash is good for !!

Originally posted by syncmaster
Get the FL-40 , the Metz flas , it does not support red eye reduction . I have see some samples with it , and all the people was had red eyes ..
Hmmm, if you're using an external flashgun, you should not be getting red-eye in the first place if your lens-to-flash distance is sufficiently great. IMHO, it sounds like it's just poor flash placement and technique at fault, and certainly not the flash.

Originally posted by Midnight
Hmmm, if you're using an external flashgun, you should not be getting red-eye in the first place if your lens-to-flash distance is sufficiently great. IMHO, it sounds like it's just poor flash placement and technique at fault, and certainly not the flash.

yup yup!

Originally posted by syncmaster
Get the FL-40 , the Metz flas , it does not support red eye reduction .

I have see some samples with it , and all the people was had red eyes ..
And also its not that strong for far ..

So , its not good for close , its not good for far , i do wonder in what area this flash is good for !!

Agree with the rest. It's probably bad technique, or the subjects are too far and the same person in the same situation will get red eyes with the FL-40 too. Anyway, "red-eye reduction" reduces the spontaniety of shots, drain batteries and doesn't eliminate red-eyes. Not that useful in my opinion.

Also, if the Metz 32MZ3 (GN of 37m max) is weak, the Olympus is not much stronger (GN40m max)!

Vivitar 285HV is stronger.... around 42m max if I'm not wrong.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Digicamera/Peri/fl40E.html

like I've said before... since a digicam is so light, u can actually hand hold the flash high above your head, like Ultraman... ur pics wd turn out better some more...

connected by cable I mean LOL..
no need bounce, swivel head... so get the vivitar if u dun mind diy settings... else pay 150 more for the FL40...

were you looking at this??

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14612

looks like a great buy!! AP selling this for S$550, don't know got GST or not....

anyway, you need olympus cables and bracket to go with it.... and they are expensive too..... cables about S$85 bracket about S$130..... so total is about S$300+S$215= S$515 for the whole set..... what a steal!!

too bad i bought my vivitar 285hv.... only S$140 :D

Originally posted by looteer
were you looking at this??

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14612

looks like a great buy!! AP selling this for S$550, don't know got GST or not....

anyway, you need olympus cables and bracket to go with it.... and they are expensive too..... cables about S$85 bracket about S$130..... so total is about S$300+S$215= S$515 for the whole set..... what a steal!!

too bad i bought my vivitar 285hv.... only S$140 :D

Hi looter,

I am not sure if this is true, the man who sold this flash showed me a shot using E-20 with a metz flashgun, the type for wedding, and a shot with FL-40. He said that no matter what flash we buy, as long as they are not designed for digital camera, they will soft corners even if it is just slightly visible. I could not believe my eyes.

This man is a real pro. He was invited every year to shoot at Miss Universe singapore. He seems to be so pro that when i ask him about clubsnap, he said that this is too amature for him to join. I then ask about whether he is in PSS (Photographic society of singapore) , he said that that is still not his level. But he then added that he is still learning but probably at higher level. He has a studio by his own in his shop. He was so passionate in photography that he showed me about the studio and explained how certain equipments are used to bring out certain effect in portrait photography.

Originally posted by song

Hi looter,

I am not sure if this is true, the man who sold this flash showed me a shot using E-20 with a metz flashgun, the type for wedding, and a shot with FL-40. He said that no matter what flash we buy, as long as they are not designed for digital camera, they will soft corners even if it is just slightly visible. I could not believe my eyes.

??? Canon didn't make any "digital-camera flash" and they (380EX, 420EX, 550EX, etc) work fine.

??? Canon didn't make any "digital-camera flash" and they (380EX, 420EX, 550EX, etc) work fine.

i am not sure as i have not seen the pic taken with canon and their flash. But you must really be very fussy to say that the slight soft corner, really very slight, would be it. I at first say this is not a softcorner but then when you see it reshot using FL-40, then you have to believe him man....

I am amaze! is it becos olympus is not good at making camera which could work well with flash....

song

Originally posted by song

i am not sure as i have not seen the pic taken with canon and their flash. But you must really be very fussy to say that the slight soft corner, really very slight, would be it. I at first say this is not a softcorner but then when you see it reshot using FL-40, then you have to believe him man....

I am amaze! is it becos olympus is not good at making camera which could work well with flash....

song

just wondering which Metz flash is that? A hammer head?

just wondering which Metz flash is that? A hammer head?

the one which is very powerful with GN about 50 over metres.
I think it is call the hammer head.

Status
Not open for further replies.