Is it wise to tell people who hire u that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
Recently was suppose to take photos for my church for their 2005 calender which i think they're rushing now.
Photos were taken in pretty not so good lighting and flash was advise by people not to be used during the church service/sermon. My photos sadly didnt turn out sharp nor spectacular, infact, i was very very very unhappy with alot alot of the photos that turned out.

Question is, due to the surroundings and people moving about so much, how should i explain to the people who asked me to take the photos that i couldn't meet their expectations????

anyone anyone??
no c**k and bull answers/comments pls. thanks

can you reshoot? if you cant... you just have to deliver whatever you have shot, apologise to the Church, offer to reshoot again. Don use the poor lighting conditions as your excuse or be defensive. The photographer should be well prepared for all conditions.

If you can reshoot.... you would have a better idea of the conditions you are facing... you don need to use flash to shoot low light.. there're a few ways to get around it if you think hard enough.

Personally i hate to be caught in situations like these...i can imagine how you feel now.

There's nothing much you can do, or even apologize. Even if apologizing only shows you are in the wrong (even if you werent), tat all the photos didnt turn out the way you/your clients expected them to.

To avoid such situations, you should have checked with them first bout restrictions on photography on location (some would even go down recce first), perhaps try to get permission to use flash or any thing which might helped you take better photos. If they are unable to accomodate your requests, then you can explain to them that the photos won't turn out well if they restrict. Perhaps maybe you wanna treat this as an experience, trial and error.

Now that the shoot is over, there's little you can do. My 1 cent worth.
Although my advice may not be helpful now, but i hope it helps for your future jobs.
:|

sebastiansong said:
can you reshoot? if you cant... you just have to deliver whatever you have shot, apologise to the Church, offer to reshoot again. Don use the poor lighting conditions as your excuse or be defensive. The photographer should be well prepared for all conditions.

If you can reshoot.... you would have a better idea of the conditions you are facing... you don need to use flash to shoot low light.. there a few ways to get around it if you think hard enough.

Reshoot is a good idea. If you wanna make amends.
And yup Sebastian's right in saying there's a few ways around the low lighting problem, keep in mind some others may prefer a certain style and not something experimental. Best is to ask them what they want first, before the job.

sbs99 said:
Reshoot is a good idea. If you wanna make amends.
And yup Sebastian's right in saying there's a few ways around the low lighting problem, keep in mind some others may prefer a certain style and not something experimental. Best is to ask them what they want first, before the job.

u see, i did ask them, and they didnt really specify the types of photo style they want. i did mention that i know what they're expecting and i felt that the photos may not turn out to be what they expect....sigh.

eadwine said:
u see, i did ask them, and they didnt really specify the types of photo style they want. i did mention that i know what they're expecting and i felt that the photos may not turn out to be what they expect....sigh.

honestly, never assume... it is essential to be very clear on what is expected. Often photographers here just shoot without stating contracts and are more worred about clinching the deal than what the job actually entails.

at this stage, show what you have done while offering a reshoot if results are not expectable; if reshoot is indeed necessary, be very well prepared and if need be, bring along someone who you know can deliver in case you fail. Your reputation is more important in the long run.

sebastiansong said:
honestly, never assume... it is essential to be very clear on what is expected. Often photographers here just shoot without stating contracts and are more worred about clinching the deal than what the job actually entails.

at this stage, show what you have done while offering a reshoot if results are not expectable; if reshoot is indeed necessary, be very well prepared and if need be, bring along someone who you know can deliver in case you fail. Your reputation is more important in the long run.

its just that i think im not thicked skin enough, i mean, in church contexted, i know they want to see smiling faces while during a praise and worship session but not many people are doing that, in fact, i get weird/fierce/bochap looks when the camera is at their directions...and in my heart it felt weird. I think if they allow a reshoot im going to just find a way to make people feel 'happy' and smile and FLASH all of em, but that would be so hypocritical wont it? :dunno:

eadwine said:
its just that i think im not thicked skin enough, i mean, in church contexted, i know they want to see smiling faces while during a praise and worship session but not many people are doing that, in fact, i get weird/fierce/bochap looks when the camera is at their directions...and in my heart it felt weird. I think if they allow a reshoot im going to just find a way to make people feel 'happy' and smile and FLASH all of em, but that would be so hypocritical wont it? :dunno:
If U have the chance to do again, do a posed photo. Not every "candid" photo needs to be candid.
Find someone who's willing to apprear in the calendar for free "publicity". Not that difficult to find.

maybe u wanna get the pastor's co-operation....like example...hmm....before service, get him to announce to everyone "there's a photographer taking photos...so lets all co-operate and smile for him if he's taking a photo of you"....or something along the line of that....im sure, as your churchmates they are willing to at least SMILE for the camera. What do u think?

Do you think you can massage your photos for some kind of result, perhaps extensive cropping, conversion to sepia or B&W tones might help to salvage your professional pride without looking like you messed up.

Anyway as far as a calendar is concerned the photos matter just as much as the design and layout, see if you can work with the calendar designer on using smaller images (so that it gives you more room to tweak the images) and have more emphasis on the other design elements.

Perhaps a series of photo montages?

sebastiansong said:
bring along someone who you know can deliver in case you fail. Your reputation is more important in the long run.

Second that. In situations like these, you might even need to consider paying someone to get the job done for you instead...

As sebsong suggested, it's better to reshoot the photos, than to have to live with those. Esp so when you belong to the organisation.

thanks guys!! will keep every suggestion/thoughts in mind. Will hope they have the time for a reshoot.but i guess i'll still have to show them the results tomorrow

Good luck to you, don't be too pessimistic. They might like what you took.

eadwine said:
My photos sadly didnt turn out sharp nor spectacular, infact, i was very very very unhappy with alot alot of the photos that turned out.

If can't reshoot, then do some digital imaging.

I'm a graphic designer and i can design the calendar for a fee.
Interested, msg me.

:p :think: :p

Tell them that you are not 100% satisfied with the shots and that you will do a reshoot to meet your own high standards before submitting the photos to them. No need to show them what you took previously.

zaren said:
Tell them that you are not 100% satisfied with the shots and that you will do a reshoot to meet your own high standards before submitting the photos to them. No need to show them what you took previously.

that's pretty smart an idea too!

if you weren't paid, you need not feel guilty, feeling morose over the photos is bad enough as it already is. you may want to find out the due date for the calendar's submission to the printers so that you can really gauge how rushed things are.

hmmm....actually wat i feel is tt if its a commissioned shot i will go recce in advance....then take test shots on the spot...wat can or cannot be done should have been settled before hand...so wat did u shoot with...low light normally my 50mm will come into play...

btw....if u can reshoot do it....not tt bad la.... at most juz apologise and offer to shoot for free the next time? without submitting the photos or something....

most impt is TACT....coz it will be the determinant in this kind of issues..

Maybe can explain to them that it would be better to take before or after the real service. Of course you may need to seek other people’s permission to act as models. I believe there should be some who are keen to pose for the organisation. We did that with our company’s building and we asked officers to pose as they are doing something at the said location.

Cheers
John

Definitely try your best to push for a reshoot no matter what... don't ever deliver bad shots to them... go beyond the extra mile whatever it takes to get it right... if need be, mock it up after service or something, get a few good talents to pose for you, art direct them the way it will work for you and the church and setup lighting if applicable. Alternatively on location during the service, u can shoot the pics where the main subjects are acceptably sharp and the secondary subjects can be motion blur. Sometimes, having spontaneous movement blur can add a different visual edge to the pics... after which, communicate to the church why you shoot the way you shot. About people getting anonyed with the flash, jus have to be thickskinned as a photogapher but don't go firing all the flashes in a spot/area. Keep moving, be definite about your shoot direction and visualise the framed image first before composing... when time is not luxury, u gotta b more reactive than your subjects. 'Nuff said...

eadwine said:
Recently was suppose to take photos for my church for their 2005 calender which i think they're rushing now.
Photos were taken in pretty not so good lighting and flash was advise by people not to be used during the church service/sermon. My photos sadly didnt turn out sharp nor spectacular, infact, i was very very very unhappy with alot alot of the photos that turned out.

Question is, due to the surroundings and people moving about so much, how should i explain to the people who asked me to take the photos that i couldn't meet their expectations????

anyone anyone??
no c**k and bull answers/comments pls. thanks

I've not been doing church shoot for a while.... abt 8yrs ago :embrass:

Anyway, if you're keen, call me 96456423 and I don't mind do for you for free if it falls on a Sunday Morning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.