Is it wise to sell a D100 and buy a D1h?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Let's just put price aside.

Body wise D1h beats D100 for sure.
Picture wise, many people give me different views.

I seldom need to use the 5fps of D1h. But there are several occasions when i'm dying for a faster speed when using my D100 now.

My digital system only covers weddings, events, commercial (eg: product) shoots, very seldom i need to blow up the picture until very big. So the <3mp D1h shouldn't pose a big problem.

BUT i still have the dilemma within me, thinking whether to change, or not to change. I don't want to have any regret.

Pls help and give me some inputs. Thanks!

for nikon user, definitely worth it! twice i almost wanted to get d1h because of the cheap price nowadays (d1h cost less than $2000 used) but i didnt because i decided not to betray my friends and stayed with canon EOS and also for my fetish for white L lens..haha. for d1h 2.74 mp, it is enough to print up till A4. however there is less room for cropping ( if u subsequently discovered there is errors in composition that occurred during the time of exposure)

i am not familiar with D1h. but what is/are specifically the feature/s available on a D1h but lacking on a D100? are these feature/s needed in your work? without these features, are your work hampered or suffered?

if you can answer these questions sincerely and honestly, you will see light out of your dilemma, hopefully.

Why do you need the D1H since you are not sure why yourself? Is it to look more pro? Then I don't think you need the D1H. If you have money and must upgrade for not too suce reason, upgrade and help to stimulate the economy.

Hi guys, thank you for the inputs. I've got a very good deal for a brand new D1h, that's why have the urge to change body.

But after some considerations, i decided against the idea.

sammyboy said:
Why do you need the D1H since you are not sure why yourself? Is it to look more pro? Then I don't think you need the D1H. If you have money and must upgrade for not too suce reason, upgrade and help to stimulate the economy.

sorry if i sound rude, sammyboy... but, if u have nothing good or constructive to say, pls dun say anything.

behyx - this is a similar question from a fren i know who was thinking of whether to upgrade from a canon 10D to a 1D. 10D is a 6MP DSLR vs 4.1 MP (IIRC), out of production 1.3x crop factor 1D. in the end, he ditched the 'newer' 10D and went for the 1D. some of his thot processes.

1) 1D is a pro-body - ie can take more punishment than 10D. he's a wedding and commerical shooter.
2) tho lesser MP than 10D, however, at 1.3x crop factor (hence larger sensor) the colour gamut and dynamic range was better than 10D. besides, if he needs to blow up the pic (and he does - billboard sized pics), there are plenty of commerical software options which do this effortlessly. i doubt anyone will blow pics up to billboard sizes on a regular basis.
3) 1D, being a photo-journalist cam by design, is faster in response time than 10D.

thus, he went for a 2nd-hand set and sold off his 10D. mebbe u can sit down and think thru wat u will be shooting? actually, IMO, the D1h is an improvement over D100, even tho its 'older'. after shooting with the D2x at the recent event, i'm beginning to appreciate the small sized files, which are hell lot easier to handle than the massive 12MP files generated. these big files means u need more computing power (hence more $$$ to upgrade) to handle them.

hope it helps? :)

nw, you are just as knowledgeable with nikon's products as with canon's. see, it is beginning to show.

I can think of a few good reasons:
Not all pixels are created equal.
The d1h buffer as opposed to the d100. Shooting purely raw on the d1h is not a problem. as opposed to the d100's irritating 6frame jpg buffer.
Faster and more accurate AF. The speed is significant. I used to get away with using an old push pull 80-200 AFn, when i switched to the d100, i had to switch to the AFS one to retain the same focusing speed.
In the portrait position, the 1-piece built of the d1h will feel more secure compared to the d100. This is especially so when you have a 300mm or 80-200mm lens attached.
However,
the D1h and the d1 series in general are great battery consumers. For a full day shoot, you'd probably want at least 3 or 4 battery packs with you. As opposed to the d100 where 2 will last you all day.
The d100 allows you to zoom in during preview. Important if you need to check for sharpness.
In the end, i switched because i fell for the MPX gimmick and also because of the battery life. Regrets? To many to list.
Btw, this is all about 2yrs ago. I am now shooting a Canon 1D.

No need to compare the D1H with D100, the D1H wins, hands down.

I would see it no matter how, it's an upgrade, but since you do weddings, when you market yourself, 3mp might be a bit hard to swallow.

My only nits about the D1H is the battery life like what szekiat has mentioned. At least 3-4 batteries are necessary to be around when shooting a full day in SG, in colder countries, you'll need more.

Hmm.. actually one of my main concern is the battery issue with D1h. I can't afford to run out of battery during a wedding or an event. So, i need to get around 3 or 4 more batteries; Cheapest option will be eastgear, $99 each, and that will cost near to $400 on battery alone!

Another issue is about the mp. Although i'm not a fan of high-mp camera, majority of clients are concern about that!

IF i have extra cash to burn, then i will buy 1 of the D1h to use, as a backup/main. But right now, my D100 must stay.

haha. The solution to that is to not tell the client what camera you are using. Show him 16x20s or 8x12s when you meet up. My D1H has seen A2 size blow ups without notice. Just shoot RAW. As for batteries, the cost has already dropped significantly. When i was using it, there wasn't any EG batts and i had to bite the bullet and buy new ones at $200 a piece!

do you mind telling us where you got the deal for the new D1h? if not, and if you are ok to tell privately, do PM me.. am looking for a set.. cheers

reachme2003 said:
i am not familiar with D1h. but what is/are specifically the feature/s available on a D1h but lacking on a D100?

1. faster and more responsive and more sensitive AF
2. better ergonomics
3. better build quality
4. better sense of adrenalin and looks more cool
5. smaller file size
6. tones from pro body is always more natural than tones from nonpro body

sammyboy said:
Why do you need the D1H since you are not sure why yourself? .

" why a person needs A or B"

is totally independent of

" is the person sure of himself or not" .

lumping these 2 questions together in an argument is a logical error.

user111, well done!

Why not take a look at the D2H? It has never been as affordable. Just top up 1k+ more on d1h can get it. You solve the battery, image quality issue and the condition(2nd hand) of D2H is definately better than D1H since the latter is much older. And D2H's raw files are a joy to work with too......

Status
Not open for further replies.