Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn06s

Aug 30, 2008
Just to voice my frustration.

I've responded to a post by J***** to deal today for his D40 at his bnp and we agreed to meet 4 hours later. 2.5 hours later, he told me that he has sold his cam already. I told him this is unethical but he replied i'm nonsense. Would you do the same? Please cast you vote.

I've responded to a post by J***** to deal today for his D40 at his bnp and we agreed to meet 4 hours later. 2.5 hours later, he told me that he has sold his cam already. I told him this is unethical but he replied i'm nonsense. Would you do the same? Please cast you vote.
Have you agreed to view it only, or to buy it if all is as described? The seller may have found another person who wanted to buy it outright.......

Some buyers just want to view but in the end don't buy it, not saying that you are one, but it depends on what grounds the meeting was made

Have you agreed to view it only, or to buy it if all is as described? The seller may have found another person who wanted to buy it outright.......

Some buyers just want to view but in the end don't buy it, not saying that you are one, but it depends on what grounds the meeting was made

I mentioned in my pm title "Deal. D40", in the message body "Agreed with $(bnp). Meet to view your D40?".

It could be worst, at least he have the minimal courtesy to inform you rather than being a pilot while you're waiting for him at the predetermined location. :(

I mentioned in my pm title "Deal. D40", in the message body "Agreed with $(bnp). Meet to view your D40?".
try look at it this way, what if the seller contact you says another person willing to deal now and at a better price, ask you do you wish to up your offer? what will you do?

if you really really want to get the item, make a deposit to secure the deal, else just try your luck and hope nobody also interested on the same item.

There is no "deal" till there is exchange of money, or a written contract.

You have the right not to buy and to walk away after viewing the D40. He has the right to sell it away before meeting you. At least he had the decency to inform you that it is sold.

Last edited:
it is a tough one. as a seller, i have encountered genuine and unethical buyers.

so buyer A agrees to on BNP price and meet 4 hours later.

during this time, the seller could be faced with the following situations:
1. another buyer B offers me a price i cannot refuse.
2. or buyer B says he can meet me now at my convenience to deal.

at the same time the buyer A could be unethical:
1. buyer A meets up with the seller and upon inspecting the item, he can reject to buy it or find 101 excuses to reduce the agreed BNP price. in which case the seller may be worse off financially selling at lower price or wasted his time if he refuses to sell.
2. buyer A could say he changed his mind and good luck to the sale. the seller would be kicking his nuts for passing on selling to B.

bottom line is this - as a seller, i will sell to the first person who meets me, not the first person who calls me. having said that i will naturally arrange to meet the first caller first. at the end of the day, it is about time and money. unless i can truly identify the person as a genuine buyer, i will reserve it for him.

Guess there are thousand and one scenarios between buyers and sellers. And the word 'deal' has different meaning to everyone.

For me, i will stick to my bnp and meet up with first arranged buyer (maybe i've not met enough insincere buyers yet).

Everyone has their own guiding principles when buying and selling. It is hard to decide right or wrong.

Whatever the arguments, I felt pissed because he did not tell me that someone is willing to meet him earlier or offer him a better price or whatever other reasons.

simple...blacklist him and show his name here. i won't want to deal with him certainly...waste of time.

well it could be worse off, but though he did have the courtesy to inform you.. He should have at least juz explain a little on why he sold it off w/o reserving it for ur view.. But then again there's no written agreement that he had to sell it off to you.. its a seller's choice in this market..

just that I dislike the fact that when you reply him, he said you're nonsense... this shows his personality whether he cares for others or not.. the answer is obivous..

i would not have done that to you.

but then again, i have held a camera for nearly 4 days for someone, rejected better offers from various people..

then he fly my aeroplane at the end of 4 days....

Hey, this is a big bad world, and there're angels and demons out there.

Don't feel bad about screwed up deals...it happens everywhere, and to everything. Even people buying/selling companies, cars, etc face this daily. So just chill; if there's no deal, there's no deal. Don't feel too sore about it.

Of course, such situation leaves the defaulting party in bad name...and sometimes that's good enough to put in a big dent in their reputation.

if u want to buy something. pay a token deposit.

otherwise as a seller, i have my reasons to sell to another person anytime. what if later u fly aeroplane on me and i missed a good buyer?

fair and sq right?

talk is nothing. :)

I have had the same experience recently. After agreeing the price and place to meet, I received another sms 30 minutes later saying someone had offered a slightly higher price. Would I like to match it so that I will be given priority? I declined.

As for me, I am old-fashioned. An agreement is an agreement.

I have had the same experience recently. After agreeing the price and place to meet, I received another sms 30 minutes later saying someone had offered a slightly higher price. Would I like to match it so that I will be given priority? I declined.

It happened to me and I declined the additional $10 the seller asked. To me, the seller's words only worth $10. :dunno:

frankly speaking this forums have the most aeroplane flyers i ever encounters compare to other forums. thus if i am seller i only deal at my place and the first who come and no reservation . u will received many funny excuses during the final minutes B4 deal and even during deal so first to come down , inspect the goods pay the bnp and deal.

yea if there is a verbal agreement then it is not right even if there is a higher offer. if i am u i might offer a higher price then fly that guy aeroplane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.