Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Is it unethical to sell off your gear when you agreed to deal with someone else?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
verbal agreement should go both ways. But sadly, the buyer is the one usually take advantage of the seller. Seen too many buyers agree to the deal and later called back saying they find a better one.

For me, I still go by the fixed price that I advertised so if the person meet my asking price, I will not be selling to the next one who offers $10 more. And I allow reasonable time (1-2days) for the person to meet up with me to finalize the deal.

frankly speaking this forums have the most aeroplane flyers i ever encounters compare to other forums. thus if i am seller i only deal at my place and the first who come and no reservation . u will received many funny excuses during the final minutes B4 deal and even during deal so first to come down , inspect the goods pay the bnp and deal.

I agree. Learnt my lesson, will just deal with whoever first to come down, inspect and pay. In this B&S forum it never pay to be patience esp with someone whom you never know. Cos it will just back fire and spoil your sale. First Come First Serve at My Time and Place.

Look at what I went thru with this buyer http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5707199&postcount=82

I agree. Learnt my lesson, will just deal with whoever first to come down, inspect and pay. In this B&S forum it never pay to be patience esp with someone whom you never know. Cos it will just back fire and spoil your sale. First Come First Serve at My Time and Place.

Look at what I went thru with this buyer http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5707199&postcount=82

PE perhaps u can sell to his friends instead... yeah i have quite similar encounter as yours.. He is a student also.. but hesitate to buy after viewing until there are other buyers who is coming down and he rush down to deal immediately..:confused: Are students nowadays so busy? I dun think i am that busy during my study days..perhaps now they have to compete with the FT and thus more hardworking:think:

Last edited:
PE perhaps u can sell to his friends instead... yeah i have quite similar encounter as yours.. He is a student also.. but hesitate to buy after viewing until there are other buyers who is coming down and he rush down to deal immediately..:confused: Are students nowadays so busy? I dun think i am that busy during my study days..perhaps now they have to compete with the FT and thus more hardworking:think:
FT or no FT, I think the kids nowadays is juggling too many hobbies all at the same time. They might have just bought an iPhone/laptop/game console and therefore is short in money to finalize the deal. And they also don't feel anything bad about missing an appointment. A lot of them don't even bother to inform the other party about them not coming to meet up.

So many bad experiences in buying and selling listed here. I have my own fair share and can feel the frustrations.
I think from now own I better safeguard myself as a seller and first come first serve.

Seems like doesn't pay to hold on to agreement :(

i have met so many buyers. this guy even smsed me with a number from australia asking me to hold it till thurs as he will be arriving (it was sunday). r u kidding me! hold it for 4 days? i told him to call me when he was in singapore. it's been 2 weeks and i have never heard from him!

Yea it is not only from our local csers.. i also received sms from a CSer from malaysia saying coming over the weekends to deal.. but after that no news at all..:confused: Not worth spending the time and SMS to entertain all this jokers.. Best is no reservation..

Some classical excuses i received :

"No money to buy cause just bought trinity lenses.."
"Lost my wallet"
"come down to XXXXX else no deal!!"

Don't understand why some people think it is ethical to sell your gear to another person, after you have agreed with a previous buyer.

Why is it alright?

There's a verbal agreement. Stick to it!
If not, that means that your word tantamounts to nothing...zilch...worthless!
And you get a reputation as being unreliable. Is that you want as a seller?

For me, once I' ve agreed with a price with a buyer, ie. the first person to agree to my deal, that's the person whom i deal with. If he happens to back out, then I go to the next person who had SMS or PM me.
i.e. if you respond to me first, I deal with you. Unless, your message sounds kinda weird and strange.

I've had potential buyers, offering me $10, or up to $30 more than my BNP (when I had already agreed with another buyer), but I have never taken up any such offers. Why? So silly you ask? Can make another $30 what? That's not the way I deal. Sorry. Reputation and integrity is more important.

Of course, there have been buyers, who turn out be rather, weird and turned up late or missed appt. But these have been far and few. And even the one who missed his appt with me turned up the next day to deal. No prob. Lucky for me, I have never had a buyer, who tried to take me for a ride. But, usually can spot such persons from their SMS.

So what am I saying then. Hope people deal ethically. What goes around comes around.

Here endeth my message.

Don't understand why some people think it is ethical to sell your gear to another person, after you have agreed with a previous buyer.

Why is it alright?

For me, once I' ve agreed with a price with a buyer, ie. the first person to agree to my deal, that's the person whom i deal with. If he happens to back out, then I go to the next person who had SMS or PM me.
i.e. if you respond to me first, I deal with you. Unless, your message sounds kinda weird and strange.

I've had potential buyers, offering me $10, or up to $30 more than my BNP (when I had already agreed with another buyer), but I have never taken up any such offers. Why? So silly you ask? Can make another $30 what? That's not the way I deal. Sorry. Reputation and integrity is more important.

Of course, there have been buyers, who turn out be rather, weird and turned up late or missed appt. But these have been far and few. And even the one who missed his appt with me turned up the next day to deal. No prob. Lucky for me, I have never had a buyer, who tried to take me for a ride. But, usually can spot such persons from their SMS.

So what am I saying then. Hope people deal ethically. What goes around comes around.

Here endeth my message.

i fully agree with you bro. Same thing had happened to me before, people offering me higher prices after I had agreed to sell to another person. My response is that I will honor the first deal. If the first buyer backout, I will contact the next person who offered to buy. Similarly, if the seller ask me to top up after we had agreed on a price just becos someone offered him/her more, I will ask the seller to proceed with that deal. How can I be sure that he isn't using my bid to squeeze more out of the other buyers?

Like I mentioned in countless other threads, I am old fashioned and I think like you: honor and integrity are more important than those few tens of $$. Sadly, a lot of people think otherwise nowadays. :)

Why is it alright?

Here endeth my message.

Thing is, personally I would do the same. If I say reserved for viewing, I will really reserve for viewing. I have been offered more money before, but I still tell the party that the item is reserved and if the first party back out, I will call him. And I will sms all parties interested if the item is sold, or I will tell them to check back on the BnS thread to see if I sold the item.

This is my personal SOP.

That said, if a seller did why the TS described, I would not be angry or pissed off as long as the seller sms or call me ahead of time to inform me. I would just continue looking for that item again. No loss for me.

Why is it alright?

Here endeth my message.

i fully agree with you bro. Same thing had happened to me before, people offering me higher prices after I had agreed to sell to another person. My response is that I will honor the first deal. If the first buyer backout, I will contact the next person who offered to buy. Similarly, if the seller ask me to top up after we had agreed on a price just becos someone offered him/her more, I will ask the seller to proceed with that deal. How can I be sure that he isn't using my bid to squeeze more out of the other buyers?

Like I mentioned in countless other threads, I am old fashioned and I think like you: honor and integrity are more important than those few tens of $$. Sadly, a lot of people think otherwise nowadays. :)

Thing is, personally I would do the same. If I say reserved for viewing, I will really reserve for viewing. I have been offered more money before, but I still tell the party that the item is reserved and if the first party back out, I will call him. And I will sms all parties interested if the item is sold, or I will tell them to check back on the BnS thread to see if I sold the item.

This is my personal SOP.

That said, if a seller did why the TS described, I would not be angry or pissed off as long as the seller sms or call me ahead of time to inform me. I would just continue looking for that item again. No loss for me.
I believe most people started out with very similar SOP as you all but after meeting with a few pilots, they become really frustrated and change their 'reserve' system to 'first come first serve'.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as this T&C is spell out in the WTS thread. This will filter out the not-so-sincere and the ones that take a long time to finalize the deal as someone else might be faster than they are and they might lose out on the opportunity to get what they want.

I believe most people started out with very similar SOP as you all but after meeting with a few pilots, they become really frustrated and change their 'reserve' system to 'first come first serve'.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as this T&C is spell out in the WTS thread. This will filter out the not-so-sincere and the ones that take a long time to finalize the deal as someone else might be faster than they are and they might lose out on the opportunity to get what they want.

Yes this is precisely the point.

Taken for a ride too many times.

Well just state clearly that whoever can deal at the stated price first will get it and no reserve.

Just as in this case the buyer came immediately at a quarter to midnight and deal (about 2hrs after my post) - no hassle for me and waiting and meeting ppl who fly aeroplane http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614505.

sorry what do you mean by ppl who fly aeroplane?

exactly, first come first serve, at my place and my convenient time, stated clearly in my B&S thread, I don't care whether buyer make a better offer or not, interested on my item? just meet fast and close the deal.

Yes this is precisely the point.

Taken for a ride too many times.

Well just state clearly that whoever can deal at the stated price first will get it and no reserve.

Just as in this case the buyer came immediately at a quarter to midnight and deal (about 2hrs after my post) - no hassle for me and waiting and meeting ppl who fly aeroplane http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614505.
Well, looks like this is a good way to sell stuff. No reserve but sell at your asking price to whoever can deal first.

OT a bit... chngpe01, perhaps you should consider changing your avatar to something else other than an aeroplane. The buyers might have mistaken you as one of their own (pilots). j/k :bsmilie:

i would not have done that to you.

but then again, i have held a camera for nearly 4 days for someone, rejected better offers from various people..

then he fly my aeroplane at the end of 4 days....

OUCH... that is horrible!

Now..
I think as a seller you can never be sure of the buyer's intention. I would say yes unethical if the deal is agreed (verbal contract is a contract) but your sms also leave room for interpretation of not taking the product (view first), which is what most of us would have done anyway. He perhaps should have informed you that a better deal has surfaced and to allow you being first to respond to decide if you want to up the same price.

from what I can see, PE sells his items (e.g. the 70-200VR1) at such a bargain price that the buyers are willing to accept the stringent T&Cs. Because they know that if they fly aeroplane, they can get such a great deal later. There's nothing wrong here but if I have a bnp in mind, I am willing to reserve the item verbally and take the risk of aeroplane.

another way to deter pilots is to get them to pm instead of leaving mobile #s in the B&S thread. in this way, you will know their nicks and they will less likely play punk. :)

i would not have done that to you.

but then again, i have held a camera for nearly 4 days for someone, rejected better offers from various people..

then he fly my aeroplane at the end of 4 days....

so sad...name the pilot? :think:

from what I can see, PE sells his items (e.g. the 70-200VR1) at such a bargain price that the buyers are willing to accept the stringent T&Cs. Because they know that if they fly aeroplane, they can get such a great deal later. There's nothing wrong here but if I have a bnp in mind, I am willing to reserve the item verbally and take the risk of aeroplane.

another way to deter pilots is to get them to pm instead of leaving mobile #s in the B&S thread. in this way, you will know their nicks and they will less likely play punk. :)

Unfortunately PM and Hp number with nick in CS has no effect on such ppl.

Look at this thread for eg. Buyer Havocial indicated the 1st time he will buy the style1200 then he fly aeroplane then after sometime got the cheek to contact me and meet to tested the RX600 (thoroughly) and said he will take it - subsequently haggle the price - then set the time and date - then fly aeroplane without any hesitation.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5707199&postcount=82

This is the last straw for me - no more reserve etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.