Is it true that SLR/DSLR users dun use full auto mode?

Do you use the full auto mode in your SLR/DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adorable

Jun 8, 2009
Bury Road
Since SLR/DSLR users all familiar with exposure, the full auto button is redundant?

If not using Manual and really want metering, people will use P or Aperture priority mode.

Since SLR/DSLR users all familiar with exposure, the full auto button is redundant?

If not using Manual and really want metering, people will use P or Aperture priority mode.

What makes you think that SLR/DSLR users are familiar with exposure when they first get an SLR/DSLR? I'd say a good 60-75% of purchasers aren't familiar with such concepts at all.

Take a look at the newbies corner. 99% of DSLR buyers tend to be the "oh it makes me look so cooooool" crowd that then ask questions showing they have no concept of exposure.

Manual mode for me but it took me many months to grab the ropes of it as I'm too used to shoot with compacts where Auto mode is a no brainer, and is capable of shooting everything and anything with the camera in full control of ISO, shutter and aperture.

Like Ian & Rashkae mentioned, I believe that more than 50% of the DSLR owners are starting photography as a leisure hobby where full auto mode will satisfy their needs initially. Thereafter, some of them may move on to the next level or further.

I must admit. For quite a while during my initial stage when I didn't understand left from right, I was Auto all the way until one day I looked at my photos and I simply couldn't explain why it all turned out not so nice.
It took me a while before I finally went into P mode, Av mode and M mode with more understanding.
So I am guilty of being an Auto newbie at some stage of my life.

i always use this mode M = Maestro

i don't think slr/dslr users are familiar with exposure at all

you need to hang around the newbie corner more.

Do not assume people who owns SLR/DSLR are all familiar with their cameras. ever see people using a professional grade camera like a point and shoot. :)

I dun get it at all. I bought a DSLR cos I thought the Av mode allows me to watch Adult Videos on the LCD screen so that I can be discreet. Or watch Tv on the go.

And now you are telling me to hang out at the newbie corner? I dun wanna watch amateurs. Give me the pros!

I dun get it at all. I bought a DSLR cos I thought the Av mode allows me to watch Adult Videos on the LCD screen so that I can be discreet. Or watch Tv on the go.

You should have gotten a PSP. ;)

And now you are telling me to hang out at the newbie corner? I dun wanna watch amateurs. Give me the pros!

That would be cool. Watching TV on the DSLR while waiting for the perfect shot. Might give you better composition idea too!!! :)

I believe that once the user is familiar with exposure and camera operations, they will rarely use the auto mode.

Coz once they understands the camera, they will tend not to trust it so much to make the right decision.

Nowadays, they do allow the user to watch Adult videos.. but of coz the user got to film it first :bsmilie:

Some applies for Tv, just on video mode and film the Tv program that is showing.

Come to think of it, I think can convert movies into MOV format and copy to the card to view thru the LCD screen. Dunno that works or not. I think for those shoots where you need to wait either for your turn or for the environment, can watch movies thru thr DSLR. Beats carrying another device around. Just need to bring another card. LOL.

Back to the topic, I tend to use Av mode most of the time, I use only manual when I know that I got time to test and play around with settings. Am still a newbie in terms of exposure. But sometimes, I know when I want and what I need so I use M mode.

Really never use CA or Auto anymore. Dun have the reason to, cos Av and Tv is kinda like semi auto.

I believe that once the user is familiar with exposure and camera operations, they will rarely use the auto mode.

Coz once they understands the camera, they will tend not to trust it so much to make the right decision.

the more i shoot,
the more i trust my expansive camera to be right in most situations,
the more i use auto just not to miss the moments.

every mode has its uses,
to each his own.

hope i'll never live to see "who uses AF when there is MF."

my cam has no "auto" mode too...:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.