is it true that nikon lens selection for FX is not as wide as Canon?

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi guys,

I am jumping camp from canon to nikon. I sort of feel that nikon lens selection is not as wide as canon. is this the case or i am not knowing enough? Just curious: what are the usual reasons for canon people to junk their canon system and embrace nikon? I just like to see what are the reasons so as to be sure it is not a moment of impulse.

thanks
song

You can compare the total number of lenses that Canon offers vs. the number Nikon has.

Then you would know.

Hi guys,

I am jumping camp from canon to nikon. I sort of feel that nikon lens selection is not as wide as canon. is this the case or i am not knowing enough? Just curious: what are the usual reasons for canon people to junk their canon system and embrace nikon? I just like to see what are the reasons so as to be sure it is not a moment of impulse.

thanks
song

If you yourself don't know what's the reason for you to jump ship, then don't jump. others reason might not be your reason.

unless you're a hardcore collector, you won't need to worry about this.

the biggest difference I can think of is backward compatibility for 50 years worth of lenses on nikon's side. but unless u want to shoot manual focus Nikon lenses it doesn't make much of a difference. there ll be many many other things tt anyone of us will need to improve on before a certain lens is I available for us to take a good photo.

that said, Nikon doesn't have the eqv of canons 85 1.2, 50 1.2 af, mpe 60 and 17 tse, but does have an affordable 50 1.2 ais, 45 pce, 85pce and the dc lenses which I don't think canon has. you can also count the 6mm 2.8 fe and 1200-1700 f/5.6 2000 f/11 if you want =P

if it matters, Nikon originated as a lens manufacturer and is one of the only optical companies that still make and formulate their own glass. canon, apart from their fluorite elements, sources from ther companies. but this last point is just FYI :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

thanks
song

Assuming your 'feeling' is correct, then why do you want to jump?
Is it just a case of 'the grass looks greener on the other side' ?

People switch systems for a number of reasons. Could be design, features, ergonomics, influenced by friends, etc.

Nikon might or might not have a bigger selection then Canon , but why would you need so many variation when all you need is a couple of
great ones ?

Zoom - 14-24mm , 24-70mm , 70-200mm .
Primes - 24 f1.4 , 35 f1.4 ,50 f1.4 85 f1.4 etc
And not forgetting the micros and wonderful teles ....

'Its all about quality not quantity'

Last edited:
Hi guys,

thanks
song

How many lenses do you need? What do you need?

Truthfully. both systems carry more than what most people will ever need.

Exactly. In fact, if you come from Canon, you'd get confused with all the Nikkor lens since many of them have backward comparability. Canon, EF means EF, EF-S means EF-S. You want mount FD on EF mount, get an adaptor. Nikkor? There's a lot of older lens that you can mount directly without adaptor.

Get to know what lens you really need.

UWA? Canon offers 16-35 f/2.8 and 17-40 f/4. Nikon offers 12-24 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/4, and of course the older 17-35 f/2.8

Standard Zoom? Canon offers 24-70 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4. Nikon offers 24-70 f/2.8 and 24-120 f/4

Tele Zoom? Canon offers 70-200 f/2.8 and f/4. Nikon offers 70-200 f/2.8, but doesn't offer a f/4 variant. Canon users may buy the f/4 variant for reasons like price and weight. You can look at the Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 (no VR) or 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR

Classic Primes? Canon offers 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm. Nikon offers the same, albeit they are f/1.4s if you want autofocus lens.

The above are the more "common" and "standard" lens that people look out for. I'm not sure what you are using in Canon that you can't find in Nikon. For the record, I'm both C and N user.

Last edited:
I was also a Canon user. Thinking back, the success on Canon comes mainly from their marketing, which Nikon still lacks far behind.

Having used both system, I can tell u it's difficult for me to go back to Canon side. Won't wanna elaborate cos it will only start another C vs N war.

I suppose TS wants to make an informed decision to ensure he is not restricted to limited choices. For someone who has decided to make a change, we can help him to make the transition an enjoyable one.

which Canon lenses you die die must own and you not sure whether Nikon have it or not?

btw, your profile state you are 15 this year, how you do get to sign up with CS when you are 5?

Everything we can explain here & suggestion..
At the end from TS still have to try it by own or bite some stone only.

Hi guys,

thanks
song

The main reason is, Canon is a big company and they make lens as per what consumer wants. Example:
For 70-200mm, canon has:
70-200mm F/4 - cheapest
70-200mm F/2.8 USM (without IS) - cheaper
70-200mm F/2.8 USM IS/IS2 - expensive

Nikon:
70-200mm F/2.8 VR/VR2 - expensive

Trust me, you don't need to buy all the Nikon lens unless you like to collect and show off the collection to your friend.

My personal reason why I chose Nikon, because I can use the older lens since 1977 to be put on the current existing body like D600/D800.

Last edited:
darthvader said:
The main reason is, Canon is a big company and they make lens as per what consumer wants. Example:
For 70-200mm, canon has:
70-200mm F/4 - cheapest
70-200mm F/2.8 USM (without IS) - cheaper
70-200mm F/2.8 USM IS/IS2 - expensive

Nikon:
70-200mm F/2.8 VR/VR2 - expensive

Trust me, you don't need to buy all the Nikon lens unless you like to collect and show off the collection to your friend.

My personal reason why I chose Nikon, because I can use the older lens since 1977 to be put on the current existing body like D600/D800.

And those older lenses give stellar results even in the more advanced systems today

And those older lenses give stellar results even in the more advanced systems today

Despite being Manual Focus and also, these older lenses have got less advanced coatings.........

And not forgetting those high resolution sensors with 24Mp or even 36Mp

Hi guys,

thanks
song

You can compare the total number of lenses that Canon offers vs. the number Nikon has.

Then you would know.

yup !!

To me, whether wider or not is not the right question to ask. The right question to ask is: do any of these 2 companies have what I need?

For example, if Canon had 8000 lenses but didn't manufacture any fisheyes, and you're looking for a fisheye perspective, and Nikon happens to make the only fisheye lens in the whole wide world Note, this is just for example and is entirely fictional simply to illustrate my point.

So if you need a fisheye, Canon does have a wider range of lenses, but Nikon has what you need. Which do you choose? Thought the answer is quite clear. As such, your question is a wrong one. Cheers.

For me, I had contemplated switching to Nikon for the better CLS and better/faster spot metering. Just wondering..... TS, what's your personal reasons?