Is it too late to learn the violin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
i'm 22 this year with no musical background..recently my grand dad gave me one of his old violins and quite honestly, i've always like listening to violins being played...been seriously considering taking up lessons, but is it too late? anyone started learning the violin or any other musical instrument at a fairly late age?

i'm 22 this year with no musical background..recently my grand dad gave me one of his old violins and quite honestly, i've always like listening to violins being played...been seriously considering taking up lessons, but is it too late? anyone started learning the violin or any other musical instrument at a fairly late age?

It is not too late, my friend started learning violin this year at the age of 28.

is only too late when is time to step into the coffin...:bsmilie:

Mythbusters already proven that even old dogs can learn new tricks, so why doubt yourself. If u have the passion and determination then nothing should stop you from just trying. U never try yet how to know right. Go for it bro/sis.

Never too late. If you can sing (somewhat) you're (unknowingly) halfway there already. The violin's a beautiful instrument. All the best!

it's never too late to learn something new. :)

Hi,

It's never too late. I started learning violin when I'm already over 30. And I got my ABRSM grade 4 in 2 years time. For adult learners like us, you can easily skip grades to cut short on the time needed. If you really like to learn violin or any other musical instruments, start now, don't wait. In a few more years, you may no longer have time to learn when you have family or other commitments.:bsmilie:

regards

I took up electronic organ lessons since kindergarden and decided to take up violin in primary 4 cause i was fascinated with the timbre.

In my first violin class, the teacher told me that the fact that i started young helped cause the fingers are still growing and not yet stiff. So physically it might be a barrier if you're older and your fingers have grown stiff (accustomed to lower finger activity when compared to people who have been playing piano/keyboard/organ since young).

But i highly agree with the fact that when you're older it is easier to pick up an instrument cause your thinking and learning capacity have improved greatly.

But do bear in mind that maturity might hinder your musical growth in the long run cause people who start younger have a fresh mind to grow on. The adult mind is cluttered with many thought processes which might interfere with musical thought processes. One such hindrance is being impatient.

In the adult world, people are accustomed to efficiency. Music learning is not like this.

Anyway, all the best and do enjoy the violin you have!

actually, if you're a grown up, it's actually easier to pick up musical instruments due to it being an objective oriented exercise.

the average population of adults behave in a manner in which they exhibit behaviour to meet an objective. they work to earn money. they drink to get drunk and pick up girls. etc.

in this case, the objective/goal is to learn how to play the violin, and assuming that the original poster falls under the 95% standard distribution of population, he shouldn't have an issue with picking it up. the fact that he/she is also grown up means that he/she has ability to set clear (and possibly more realistic) goals in terms of musical growth and learning.

the most important aspect that one must remember is the ability to sustain an interest in it. I've recently picked up learning the electric guitar again, and though I might have had prior experience in learning it many years ago, I feel that my age has put me in good stead for this.

thanks alot guys! very encouraging replies..always felt learning musical instruments is like learning martial arts: should start at a young age...but it seems that's not the right mindset :) thanks again, will go look for classes..hopefully i don't get thrown together with 8-12 year olds! hahaha...

would like to learn sion's sense of humour too

picking up is not much of the issue

its jus whether u can commit yourself to keep at it...

how much u love it and how much time ur willing to spend to get it right....

what ever you learn or do, i think its all about practice....

more practice comes improvement...

so if you do pick up pls let me know...

haha i like it too but i have other commitments so cant pick up myself

Of cos it is not late!

I picked up violin when i was in my mid 20s. The only disadvantage was that an adult's hand is stiffer than a young kid's hand so it's more difficult for me to stretch my last finger for certain notes. :)

If retired old ladies can pick up piano at their age so why can't u pick up violin when u r only in ur early twenties? :)

I think by learning this instrument you can make some money playing in the streets:

erhu_motion_animation.gif

Nope ... I always believe prastice make it perfect

My friend start learning guitar at the age of 28 and doing well now ..

All the best .. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.