Is it sufficient for HK trip?

bethpapa74

Jan 28, 2011
guys,
I will be soon traveling to HK with my family for approx 8days, and would like to ask if my gear are sufficient...
of course, this is a rather subjective Q, hence i am not looking forward to any conclusive at the end of the day ... just wanna hear each individual humble opinions.

Should you want to tell me '' its not the gear, its that person behind the gear'' thingy ... then pls keep such conclusive comment to yourself... not being offensive la, but i really just want to know yours truly opinions. THANKS! Kamsa-hamida!

I will be bring along these
1) D700 with MB-D10 grip (with extra batt)
2) 24-70 f2.8
3) 50 f1.4G
4) no tripod as i have 2 attention seeking juvenile.

mainly shooting family, streets, indoors, and minimum landscape ...

I appreciate your kindness... TQ

Although 50mm is not so much of a weight problem, I myself will just use the 24-70 alone and save the hassle of changing lenses.

You may want to save on the grip too (just bring more batts) as I can tell you the total burden with all 3 add up + your kids= OMG.

Good cam and lenses choice however I will not bring the grip.. I will just bring extra batteries. Use the 24-70 for day shot and 50mm for night..

I think the gears you taking are just nice. If you are not aversed to the extra weight, bring along the grip as its weight help to stablize the camera somewhat & prevent it from swinging around particularly when you are on the move. I found the grip really useful on my overseas trips. Moreover the ability to use AA batteries (if you have the tray) is reassuring. Weather around this period may be cool, misty & wet, so be prepared, to keep everything & everyone dry. Have fun!

Last edited:
My sincere advise, get a 24mm prime len and just the d700, enough for all your family and lanscape shoot, and light too. 24/70 is a no no for me as its way too big and heavy.

Frankly speaking get a spiderpro clip amd hang thr d700 on ur belt, u will easy access the cam and help out looking after ur kid, no need to even use a camera bad, troublesome and slow access to the cam.

For me, one camera, one lens and one flash is the maximum for a DSLR setup. If PnS, one camera and one flash. If m4/3, one camera, two lenses of which one has to be the Pannasonic 20mm and one zoom and a flash. Make sure the flash can tilt and swivel,

Prudent to bring along a Nikon Speedlight flash as the D700 built-in flash may not be able to rise high enough to overcome the 24-70 lens length. External strong flash will also serves as fill flash to ensure that thread starter family members image are properly lit up when taking photographs against bright background.

U will be surprise when u have only 1 len on hand, and that will produce the most amazing shots when u put ur heart to it. Especially for d700 high iso performance with a f2.8 len, its really is enough.

Really thank-you all for these advises ... Please keep em coming.

From these advises, we can really see how much differences each and other have. I will read each and every advises carefully in order to be better prep for my family trip.

Thanks a lot again

Miao said:
U will be surprise when u have only 1 len on hand, and that will produce the most amazing shots when u put ur heart to it. Especially for d700 high iso performance with a f2.8 len, its really is enough.

Fully agreed... One lens one heart!

Good to bring your 24-70 only and camera of course. You need to ask yourself... when will you have the opportunity to swap lens when you also need to take care of your children. Just enjoy the trip. Sometimes "Less is more". :)

During my previous holiday trip, I had to think when to bring the 35/1.8 out. Even so, I rarely swap lens. And it's so tiring already traveling... haha have to admit i'm getting older..

wmayeo said:
Good to bring your 24-70 only and camera of course. You need to ask yourself... when will you have the opportunity to swap lens when you also need to take care of your children. Just enjoy the trip. Sometimes "Less is more". :)

During my previous holiday trip, I had to think when to bring the 35/1.8 out. Even so, I rarely swap lens. And it's so tiring already traveling... haha have to admit i'm getting older..

Ha , I look after my 3 yr old girl , she is mostly carry by my left arm, so I often shoot 1 handed by right hand. I use to bring d700 w 20-35 f2.8, but as she get heather

You probably can leave your battery grip at home, unless you shoot in portrait mode all the time. Also your 24-70 covers the 50 range and is already good enough for even night shots, so dont really need to bring along the 50 f/1.4G bah. Otherwise, all these little things will just add on to your weight. Travel light.
Do note that to get the MTR, you will need to use stairs part of the way down/up (got to carry your stroller if you bring it along).

guys,
I will be soon traveling to HK with my family for approx 8days, and would like to ask if my gear are sufficient...
of course, this is a rather subjective Q, hence i am not looking forward to any conclusive at the end of the day ... just wanna hear each individual humble opinions.

Should you want to tell me '' its not the gear, its that person behind the gear'' thingy ... then pls keep such conclusive comment to yourself... not being offensive la, but i really just want to know yours truly opinions. THANKS! Kamsa-hamida!

I will be bring along these
1) D700 with MB-D10 grip (with extra batt)
2) 24-70 f2.8
3) 50 f1.4G
4) no tripod as i have 2 attention seeking juvenile.

mainly shooting family, streets, indoors, and minimum landscape ...

I appreciate your kindness... TQ

My 2-cents:

D700 (w/o grip but bring the extra battery) + 24-70 F2.8 + 1 zoom bag to put it all in (shoulder sling).

Have a good holiday! :)

Leave the grip. bring spare batt. use the 24-70. should be more than suffice. For sharing, i use a 35mm f2 solely for 1 trip. the 2nd trip I solely use a 24mm f1.4. u would know what to shoot if you sure of the lens capability.

I would bring a flash too... and perhaps a tripod in the luggage... since I might need those two things for family photo in the hotel room or etc.

Whatever it is you think you might lack while in HK, can always buy there. If you know where to look, prices are lower and also variety (esp for accessories) wider than in SG. :)

My choice... D700 + extra batteries + 24-70 + light tripod.... can shot few hundred shots of your families .. must bring tripod so can include yourself into the photos