"Is it still raining?" - Macro shot at Botanic Garden

foosmike

Mar 16, 2013
AMK
Hi all the masters and great people that are willingly to share,

I have another shot that I hope I can improve from.

Here goes - "Is it still raining?"

photo.php

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
I am thinking that the composition and the colouring because I use some LR to do some adjustment.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
I love the looks of the grasshopper and it is under a leaf like a shelter, the earlier rain might have make him hide under it. I hope I can improve in my PP and angle of the shot if possible.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This photo is taken on a Sat morning about 10am with the Sun pretty harsh.
The setting on my camera are
F13
1/160 secs
ISO - 100
Exposure Bias of +1.7 step
Focal Length 90mm Tamron Marco lens
Using Manual mode and manual focus.
Uses flash with a cheap diffuser

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I like this picture because the grasshopper really look like it is waiting for the rain to stop and Singapore has been raining daily recently. I have the same thoughts when I am waiting at home for the rain to stop so that I can go out and took lots of lovely photos.

Thanks for sharing with me the inputs and I love to hear from you! Thanks yet again.

ooh....this is Beautiful!

I love it!

really envy you guys who can take such nice macros.

did you need a tripod for this shot?

I think this is a really nice photo. The water droplets add nice detail to the photo. Love the rich colours!
But the sudden change in the area of focus makes it a little hard to see the grasshopper., just my humble inexperienced opinion.
A great shot, overall, though!

Cheers.

Last edited:
got the water, got the grasshopper and have a great angle and composition..awesome

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback. It is good encouragement for me to go out and shoot more.

Thanks Hinata76 for pulling the photo yet again. I thought I manage to do it myself... I guess is something I missed.

Thanks d2xpeter, I strongly believe you can too. The few guys that we go with do not use tripod. One of the instructors too, encourage to do it without. In a way work harder to get the correct shot and focus, but works on the stances, breathing and index finger. You should join some of the outings if you can. There are so many masters and hidden god of marcos out there. It might be you.

Thanks NormanSelvaraju, I find some of the things missing but clearly not sure where. Maybe another level is to blend a few photos together. I understand your point and that was also my considerations too. Hope I come across something similar in the future.

Thanks steavan - Thank you so much!

Thanks everyone... I may think the next level is to blend the photos together to have more detailings on overall? Not sure.

"but works on the stances, breathing and index finger"

this reminds me of shooting the M16 during my BMT. LOL

Ya, really must follow you guys on your next trip. Wonder when will that be.

btw, the more i look at the grasshopper's eyes the more i like it. The catchlight in the inner black pupil and the nice outer translucent canopy.
simply beautiful!

Reactions: foosmike
nice picture but i feel that the front should be focused in as well and only the back should be blurred and the picture would be even better.

Nice shot, I like this pic. The water nicely lead attention to grasshopper's eyes.
So is it still raining? The rain just stopped?;p