Is it safe to use this yellow cloth to clean lens?

dapao

Nov 6, 2010
Brand name: Selvyt
country made: England
Colour: Yellow
words written on cloth: superior to chamois leather/ wash when soiled/ A polishing cloth in microfibre/ good as new when washed
Where I bought: TK photo.
What the sales man said: Can use to clean my GND filter and lens.

My concern is more to lens cleaning, hope seniors or users can advise on is it safe to use it for lens cleaning, thanks you so much.

should be fine, as long as you blow off all possible abrasive dust with a blower before that. and of course, keep your cloth clean.

I would stick to chamois skin, for cleaning lenses but have to remove dust first, basically cleaning is to remove water mark, oil patch from finger, stain which blower does not work, chamois work best and have to use carefully too.This is from my experience.

On a Professional shoot, some of us even use our t-shirts... NOTHING has ever happened to our lenses.
Don't know about 35mm lenses though, but our Hasselblad lenses are fine

i usually use a strong blower and a lenspen(to remove excess dust and those darn finger prints) thanks to them my glass always looks like new, but a microfiber cloth should do the trick, heck i sometimes i even use my T-shirt to wipe the filters(i won't go nuts if those thing got scratches lol :p) on the go

Last edited:
i use lenspen and blower also

I prefer to use lens pen for cleaning, I bought a set of 3 - lens, filter and view finder. But before use, need to make sure lens pen does not have any particle which may scratch the filter or lens.

thanks for all the inputs Seniors ^^

On a Professional shoot, some of us even use our t-shirts... NOTHING has ever happened to our lenses.

Don't know about the rest....but I also use my t-shirts and breath. Works everytime mate. Cheaper and more convenient than some yellow cloth that may leave a yellow stain. :bsmilie: :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I use kodak lens cleaning paper. Running low, anyone knows where to get locally?

@Roy_Tan
If you like iusing paper, try using Cigarette Paper instead. The "Smoking Brand" for the Ang Hun is dirt cheap !! $1 for 3 packets !!
Ladies can also use it as their "Facial Tissue" as well !!
Now THAT's something that you can BOTH share !!!

:)

Don't know about the rest....but I also use my t-shirts and breath. Works everytime mate. Cheaper and more convenient than some yellow cloth that may leave a yellow stain.

heheh..

same here..

t-shirt, sleeves and even someone else t-shirt..:bsmilie:

as long as it is not steel wool..HAHAHA..

pls..the lens coating is tough..don't have to baby it.

you'll probably have a filter fitted all the while,

and if that's the one dirty, please use anything to clean it.

if it's the front element, you could use a blower and a lenspen.

So thoughtful of you. :bsmilie:

@Roy_Tan
If you like iusing paper, try using Cigarette Paper instead. The "Smoking Brand" for the Ang Hun is dirt cheap !! $1 for 3 packets !!
Ladies can also use it as their "Facial Tissue" as well !!
Now THAT's something that you can BOTH share !!!

:)

@Roy_Tan
It REALLY WORKS !!!

Just Try it leh !! Damn cheap some more !! Ask your GF how much her Tissue Paper costs, and she'll thank you for a VERY LONG TIME !!!
hahahahahaha

This is NOT a Joke. Go google it yourself...

Brand name: Selvyt
country made: England
Colour: Yellow
words written on cloth: superior to chamois leather/ wash when soiled/ A polishing cloth in microfibre/ good as new when washed
Where I bought: TK photo.
What the sales man said: Can use to clean my GND filter and lens.

My concern is more to lens cleaning, hope seniors or users can advise on is it safe to use it for lens cleaning, thanks you so much.

I had a piece of this when i bought my rxw watch. Theres a square/rectangular print border with words printed on it? Yellowish color too.

If its the same kind, it looks abit rough as its meant to polish watches - metallic parts. The normal cleaning cloth for spectacles looks much softer than this cloth. I might be wrong as Selvyt might have come up with other models of the cleaning cloth.

Anyway, if TK can recommend it, i guess it will be suitable for camera equipment. :)

Last edited:

nice!