Is it safe to use gaffer tape on camera body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiroi

Aug 21, 2004
Just got a new camera body. Anyone knows if its safe to use gaffer tape on the camera :confused:. If not are there any solutions to protect the body from scratches and dust. Thanx.

Shiroi said:
Just got a new camera body. Anyone knows if its safe to use gaffer tape on the camera :confused:. If not are there any solutions to protect the body from scratches and dust. Thanx.

Use gaffer tape. :)

Use gaffer tape.

Scratches yes. Dust? Buy a blower/brush/cloth and give your camera some good loving care every now and then.

Gaffer services available from me at $15 per camera body, guaranteed to make you NOT recognise your camera body after that :bsmilie:

Sorry pai seh i am a newbie here, what is a Gaffer tape and what does it look like? How is the application ? Also at $15, it means you will help in "gaffering" the whole cam? :dunno:

i only use small pieces of gaffer to cover the screws and wordings (brand, model, etc) on my camera, lens and flash. not the whole cam.

dragius: Yes, I normally do up the whole body, buttons inclusive, if you want, I can do the LCD as well :devil:

Del_CtrlnoAlt: You can pass me what colours you want :devil: I'll charge $12 for the service if you provide your own gaffer, but so far don't think anybody wants a white/pink/red gaffered body :blah:

Otherwise it's of course my favourite body color - BLACK :D

Actually, I have been using those "cloth" tape you get for 2 bucks. Have been warned a couple of months ago of the extreme disastrous consequences....that i shouldn't use it as it is acidic or what and the glue will stick to it very tightly when it dries with hard to remove residues, or the word prints on the lenses will come out together with the tape etc... A guy in a shop saw me using such stuff and he was quite shocked. :bsmilie:

So far i used it in the sun for so many times (holiday, F1, wakeboard, Neo Tiew/SBWR) still no problems, quite easy to remove. Its been quite a while somemore....

PS. Try at your own risk... :D

2100 said:
Actually, I have been using those "cloth" tape you get for 2 bucks. Have been warned a couple of months ago of the extreme disastrous consequences....that i shouldn't use it as it is acidic or what and the glue will stick to it very tightly when it dries with hard to remove residues, or the word prints on the lenses will come out together with the tape etc... A guy in a shop saw me using such stuff and he was quite shocked. :bsmilie:

So far i used it in the sun for so many times (holiday, F1, wakeboard, Neo Tiew/SBWR) still no problems, quite easy to remove. Its been quite a while somemore....

PS. Try at your own risk... :D

i guess u might have used duct tapes... i have really big problem with that when i taped my steering wheel pedal on to the stand when i play my games... really regrettable outcome...

espn: hmm if i buy any 'white' bodied lens, i might consider making a white gaffered body... :D oh ya... dun gaffer my lcd... if not i cannot see... :sweat:

Espn: Hmm would you have a sample pics of a gaffered 10D or any Dslr that you have done, i am quite intrested.... :D

Gaffer for LCD :bigeyes: also how long would it take to gaffer my 10D?

Did a search on the net and everyone seems to have positive feedback on using gaffer tape to protect camera body...

dragius said:
Espn: Hmm would you have a sample pics of a gaffered 10D or any Dslr that you have done, i am quite intrested.... :D

Gaffer for LCD :bigeyes: also how long would it take to gaffer my 10D?

Did a search on the net and everyone seems to have positive feedback on using gaffer tape to protect camera body...

ask espn to whip out his D100 and u'll see why he's called the bah zhang king for a very good reason. :blah:

its a VERY good idea to get a roll of gaffer tape (see canturn's round 11 MO of gaffer tape) and gaffer up ur cam. for $38/roll, its a small expenditure for ur $1000+ investment. depending on ur skills and experience, takes about half to 1 day's work to gaffer up ur cam. took me 4 hrs to gaffer up my ex-300D (and espn :ipuke: when he saw my "workmanship"), and 5 hrs to gaffer my current 10D.

next time u go SEED, have a look ard at some of the more senior CSers. most, if not all, gaffer up. heehee... sometimes, if they never say, u would think all of them use the same cam! :bsmilie:

DCA: Hehehe... white lenses aren't meant to be gaffered

dragius, normally average it takes me about 2-3 days to get one body done at my own leisure. I believe 10D should take abou the same, film bodies are a bit big headache because of the film back. :(

nightwolf75 :kok: NEVER MENTION THE BAH ZHANG :nono:

I'll have a sample tonight at NC. NC tonight anybody? ;)

LOL "bah zhang king" :bsmilie: ok ok with so many CSer commending your work i am set lah to let you Bah Zhang my used 10D from further Damage....

I don't think i want to buy the gaffer tape cause i am sure my workmanship will be even worse.....

So far I've only seen 1 guy who gaffered up his entire silver 300D body. It looks very neat and nice, and I could not recognise the cam at all!

300D silver body - u really need to gaffer becos the paint work is easily scratched. i scratched mine b4.... when i was gaffering it (yeah... irony of ironies... :rolleyes: ) well, at the least the Cser who bought my 300D said it looked brand-new! :sweat:

for 10D, its a good idea to gaffer up the wordings. heard they fade after a while becos they are painted on, and not embossed (unlike 20D). besides, gaffering up the shiny black body will also prevent small dinks and scratches. dragius, u shld consider buying a roll urself. gaffer tape is very useful also for ur tripod mount (prevent scratches to the bottom of ur cam) among other uses. ;)

espn said:
DCA: Hehehe... white lenses aren't meant to be gaffered

dragius, normally average it takes me about 2-3 days to get one body done at my own leisure. I believe 10D should take abou the same, film bodies are a bit big headache because of the film back. :(

nightwolf75 :kok: NEVER MENTION THE BAH ZHANG :nono:

I'll have a sample tonight at NC. NC tonight anybody? ;)

Hello Bro,

Can i meet up with you at your nearest MRT, so i guess i do need to pass my Cam over to you. The body is in quite a terrible state liao but i do not want further damage

So do let me know where is your nearest MRT so i can pass over my cam to you. anyway my contact 96223365, confirm it is $15 to gaffer my 10D rite? :)

Shiroi: You can buy gaffer tapes from me at $38 each. Currently doing an MO for it in Consumer's section.

Well, there are many types of gaffer tapes, some cost $8 per roll, some cost $5 per roll even. Someone even mentioned to me that there's a shop in Sophia road that sells these. The reason why you pay the premium of $38 is because of the non-residual, non-slip and tough quality; plus it's imported from USA. Consider it a small premium to pay for your big investment.

Most important of all, the surface that you're applying gaffer has no traces of oil or solvent. Any type of adhesive will be transferred to surfaces with oil, especially.

Del_CtrlnoAlt: I do have white ones if you're interested. Special order for u ;)

canturn said:
Shiroi: You can buy gaffer tapes from me at $38 each. Currently doing an MO for it in Consumer's section.

Well, there are many types of gaffer tapes, some cost $8 per roll, some cost $5 per roll even. Someone even mentioned to me that there's a shop in Sophia road that sells these. The reason why you pay the premium of $38 is because of the non-residual, non-slip and tough quality; plus it's imported from USA. Consider it a small premium to pay for your big investment.

Most important of all, the surface that you're applying gaffer has no traces of oil or solvent. Any type of adhesive will be transferred to surfaces with oil, especially.

Del_CtrlnoAlt: I do have white ones if you're interested. Special order for u ;)

Assume ESPN bro is using the same Gaffer tape as what you are selling?

canturn said:

i haven buy my cam yet... besides... i haven use the black roll i bought from you even... hehehe... might be using it to lay the room later...

oh ya... dragnius... the roll canturn sells, is REALLY BIG!!! worth the money...

Status
Not open for further replies.