Is it safe to on/idle notebook 24hr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingpig

Aug 12, 2004
Singapore
I was wondering that? Is is safe to idle my notebook 24hr? Will it get hot and spoil easily? Somemore please advice?

My first notebook lasted 3 years, before the brightness of the LCD showed significant deterioration. LCDs on notebooks are built to last the expected useful lifespan of the notebook, so you can expect maybe 3-5 years?

Same here... i've been leaving it on 24 hours for the last few years....

should be safe for you to do so, since so many ppl here did that. :)

me too... i rarely switch it off unless i'm on the move.

My PowerBook is always on sleep mode when I am not using it. Gives me instant-on when I need it, much like a PDA. Many Mac users don't shut down either, and they have been doing it for years, so I don't think there'll be a problem except for slightly draining the battery.

Regards
CK

I think sleep mode is fine, but is it safe to on 24hr? i can feel it's very warm..

Flyingpig said:
I think sleep mode is fine, but is it safe to on 24hr? i can feel it's very warm..

just elevate the end portion to expose the bottom. i use two small boxes. going to get Speedball after the exams.

mervlam said:
just elevate the end portion to expose the bottom. i use two small boxes. going to get Speedball after the exams.
ok..thanks everyone! :)

Prismatic said:
LCDs on notebooks are built to last the expected useful lifespan of the notebook, so you can expect maybe 3-5 years?

Wrong lah fren..
They're supposed to last the warranty lifespan of the product, & that's all.

Flyingpig said:
You mean you want to have the notebook in the "fully on" mode 24/7 like a server? Most notebooks would sleep after a predetermined period of time unless you tell it not to. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.