Is it safe to drive to JB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JL1500k

Apr 14, 2004
From the past months many SG car had been report stolen or rob in JB. Especially those SUV, MPV and Japanese model vehicle. Eg. Honda civic, BMW and Mercedes Benz…..

Some are even tow away while parking at holiday plaza or city square shopping centre basement car park. It happens on some roadside eating places too.

Do you do extra precaution like fitting a lock to your car steering wheel?
Avoid reveres parking and park your car head in first and steer the wheel to left or right to make it difficult and prevent being tow away?

Firstly my advice would be to avoid driving a flashy car into JB.
The syndicates are actually very organised and there is a a black market for the cars. Hence if this month demand for CRVs are high, more CRVs are stolen and applies to other makes. Basically its not your one or two thieves but an organised structure. The moment your car appears in JB, it has become an potential commodity.

Dont just depend on the locks and whatever methods, some of these syndicates employ repo men... yes ironically repo man by day, and "repo" man by night for the syndicates. Hence they know every trick in the book to unlock a car. Rumours has it that they even know how to hack into cars using a laptop and open it via its computer chip.

Even parking in a hotel's carpark is no guarantee. My client lost his CRV that way. parked it with the valet thinking it would be safe. The thief stole the CRV and rammed his way through the hotel parking barricade. CRV must have been fetching a high price then.

Moral of the story... dont drive into JB.

please remove tires when parked in JB, this will avoid thefts:bsmilie:

JL1500k said:
From the past months many SG car had been report stolen or rob in JB. Especially those SUV, MPV and Japanese model vehicle. Eg. Honda civic, BMW and Mercedes Benz…..

Some are even tow away while parking at holiday plaza or city square shopping centre basement car park. It happens on some roadside eating places too.

Do you do extra precaution like fitting a lock to your car steering wheel?
Avoid reveres parking and park your car head in first and steer the wheel to left or right to make it difficult and prevent being tow away?

send the car for car wash opp holiday plaza while you do the shopping.. cost about 12RM$ but remind them not to park the car at the hotel after wash just park there where they do the washing. very safe.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sjourn said:
please remove tires when parked in JB, this will avoid thefts:bsmilie:

Or maybe self clamp the tyres and lock the steering wheel! Good idea :thumbsup: Make it Challenging for them!

Just to make them think twice and let them spend more times to steal the car. :sweatsm:

soma said:
send the car for car wash opp holiday plaza while you do the shopping.. cost about 12RM$ but remind them not to park the car at the hotel after wash just park there where they do the washing. very safe.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dun know they can be trust or not? ?Hear some pp said they can dulicate the key and pass to those syndicates? :dunno:

Same to those car washing inside the holiday plaza basement.

Hm....is JB that bad? I think Jerry Beckhemeir should consider starting a new series of CSI call CSI JB....sure got enought story line to fill a couple of seasons :D

I have driven to JB in no less than 5 counts....I think luck do play a big part....if they have chosen your car then no matter what you do is useless.....so what we can do is to deter....make life difficult and chance is they will rather target other people one than yours.....for example choose open and bright places to park...wait if necessary for the parking lots near the entrance of the mall......choose better shopping area...if give a choice...I will avoid Holiday Plaza.....lock whatever thing you can for example steering...gear...clutch etc etc....maybe install GPS tracking if you can afford :lovegrin:

Best is to not go to JB.... frankly we are not welcomed there, there is going to be an levy on foreign cars, things are not really that cheap, and with all the risk.... I have had one client whose car was stolen as mentioned in an earlier post and my friend whose handbag was snatched. Her bf who was a ex police officer gave chase and was hammered by the guy.

So why not just stay away.....

JL1500k said:
Dun know they can be trust or not? ?Hear some pp said they can dulicate the key and pass to those syndicates? :dunno:

Same to those car washing inside the holiday plaza basement.

If you don't feel comfortable about driving can alway take a bus, than at the custom take taxi lor, go holiday inn cost about 5-10rm$. Remember to take SBS bus, much faster.

Maybe for those businessmen who need to travel JB frequently can consider buy another car, Proton model their local brand. So keep their BMW or Benz at home.

When travel to JB drive Proton wira. :bsmilie:

I heard not only the car gets stolen, some will ram your car and then when you come out (as most people do), rob you on the spot.

Just a (non-car owner) thought, what about removing your fuses? Or even just removing the connectors to your spark plugs? As brazen as car theives are there, I doubt they would have the luxury of time to trouble shoot why the car won't start right? :think:

vince123123 said:
I heard not only the car gets stolen, some will ram your car and then when you come out (as most people do), rob you on the spot.

Yes, there are some cases happen in city square, they approach you and demand money from you in the crowded shopping centre. They warn you if don’t give up handphone, money or watch you will not be able to come back :sweat:

A lot of them come with tow trucks so it doesn't really matter if your car can't move.

Hobbesyeo said:
Just a (non-car owner) thought, what about removing your fuses? Or even just removing the connectors to your spark plugs? As brazen as car theives are there, I doubt they would have the luxury of time to trouble shoot why the car won't start right? :think:

That's why don't bring any of these stuffs and only bring RM$100 in :)

The state of lawlessness in that country is certainly alarming - apparently the Malaysian Government doesn't recognise the problem or don't care, or perhaps they feel that it's good that the Malaysians rob the Singaporeans and then use the moeny to fuel their economy :)

JL1500k said:
Yes, there are some cases happen in city square, they approach you and demand money from you in the crowded shopping centre. They warn you if don’t give up handphone, money or watch you will not be able to come back :sweat:

Well, if the situation so extremely worrying till the point it gets brought up in forums over and over and over and over again like an Energizer Bunny that never dies.

Take the public transport to JB OR don't go at all.

jsbn said:
Well, if the situation so extremely worrying till the point it gets brought up in forums over and over and over and over again like an Energizer Bunny that never dies.

Take the public transport to JB OR don't go at all.

Dont drive there. Parked at woodlands and take public transport over is the safest.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.