is it rude to take photos while the person is being interviewed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
recently I followed 2 editors to interview a chinese singer/celebrity. while the interviewers are interviewing him, I take a few photos of him. Then was told by the staff there that I must stop.

to those people who has done this kind of reporting/interview assignment before, I would like to ask what's the correct procedure?

after the interview then take a few pic? is it rude to take a few pic of the celebrity while he is being interviewed?

Paul_Yeo said:
recently I followed 2 editors to interview a chinese singer/celebrity. while the interviewers are interviewing him, I take a few photos of him. Then was told by the staff there that I must stop.

to those people who has done this kind of reporting/interview assignment before, I would like to ask what's the correct procedure?

after the interview then take a few pic? is it rude to take a few pic of the celebrity while he is being interviewed?

Usually take after the interview. For practical reasons like mouth opening at funny shapes! Eyes looking at wrong places. I think this is mostly their concern rather than procedure.

Most people wants to look "good" and you can get those when they are looking at the camera and with their attention on you. You can even direct them if they are friendly enough.

depends on the tie down with the celeb or whoever.

for most events i covered. normally the PR person will say, ok, now there will be some interviews for the press as well as some photo taking during the interviews.

so once this green light given, hoot ah!

Caspere said:
Usually take after the interview. For practical reasons like mouth opening at funny shapes! Eyes looking at wrong places. I think this is mostly their concern rather than procedure.

Most people wants to look "good" and you can get those when they are looking at the camera and with their attention on you. You can even direct them if they are friendly enough.

gd pt!

but i think its also the photogs responsibility to only post acceptable pics. if he wants to keep these candid shots and laugh abt it in private thats ok. but if its a job, guess only acceptable shots reflecting well on the interviewee must be submitted

communication with the person that is paying you usually helps.

in most cases, if u pay me to shoot, i will shoot anything and everything unless u say no, not u tell me to shoot then i will shoot. (so what u did i think is right, if u were stopped by a person that isn't the one paying, u better inform the one that is paying u)

and is just a general idea. everything should be tied down with the person paying, he/she is the most impt person!

correct!

if any prob, look for fella who pays

Actually, a major concern during interviews is that the camera clicks will be recorded. The MD recorders that most press people use are really sensitive as they sometimes need to produce transcripts for their interview. It's also quite rude for photographers to fire off when the person being interview is doing a video recording. For some older video recorders, the flash can cause the screen to white-out especially if you fire the flash directly into the video camera( I don't why, but I've seen a lot of photographer taking pictures of celebs from the rear having interviews :dunno: ).

The key as Joho mentioned is communications. If you don't communicate clearly wad you want or find out what are the rules and regulation that they have set, then you will get scolded just as you did. Well,since this is a editorial shoot, by right, your editors should be responsible for making all arrangements. You must understand the nature of the interview as well, whether if it is a mass press interview or an exclusive. If it is a exclusive one on one, there will be more things that you can request and do.But If it is mass press,just have to follow instructions accordingly to the PR i/c.

It's not rude to take photos during the interview, because sometimes you want to capture natural moments during the interview. i am sure we have all seen such kind pics in various magazines as well. However it does becomes rude when you don't ask for permission. :nono:

I have followed reporters to for interviews of celebs and have taken photos during the interview, but all this were communincated to the celeb, the manager and PAs who are around on that day as well before we commenced the interview. This is to make sure everyone is agreeable to the arrangement.Also The celeb won't be caught by surprise and will understand that there is a need to smile for you during the interview. In the end, everyone will be happy. :)

Paul_Yeo said:

Why D2X pro take pics for commercial assignment never bring me along? :(

Prismatic said:
Actually, a major concern during interviews is that the camera clicks will be recorded. The MD recorders that most press people use are really sensitive as they sometimes need to produce transcripts for their interview. .
this is very real/true. i second this.

Seriously, getting scolded by the PR or your boss, I'll choose the former.

what jOhO said very true, do watever the person/company paying you wants.
also remember, after the interview, you sure they will pose for you? what if you didn't shoot during the interview, and after that, they run away? Who die?

Bottom line: be thick skin.

Sometimes the company paying may not know. I was told to shoot everything. But when scolded by the PA, it's me, not the company paying, that they're scolding.

It'll be good to check with the PR or PA if there's one. I have encountered quite a few celebs who gave me the pissed look if I shoot unannounced.

Paul_Yeo said:

Communication with the celebrity/paying party is important.
Some celebrity do not mind but most of them do mind. :lovegrin:

I consider it is rude but I will get permission and let them know in advance.
Always signal them during a little pause/rest before taking.

Hope it help.

The key here is communication, respect and knowing what you're doing.

Communicat with your client on what they require from you.
Most of the time the client wants a coverage of what happened during the event. And the interview is part of what happen so you have to cover that. It does not matter if the client will use that shot or not, if they want it and you don't have it, you're dead. In an event, there is no time to check with the client if they want you to cover this interview part or not. By the time you get the answer, it may be too late to shoot. Shooting after the interview is over? I don't think that it is a good idea to ask the VIP and news crew to pose or do a mock up of the interview just for you to shoot. After all, as the event photographer, you're suppose to record the events as it unfolds, not ask people to do a "retake" just for you. People will just assume that you miss the shot and need to cover your as*.

Respect others and they will respect you in return.
If you can show that you're professional about your job, have the respect for the other working pros around you ie: other photographer, film/video/news crew, they will usually return in kind. Everyone have a job to do, they need the interview while you need the shot. A interview usually start with a short mock up of the questions and there may sometimes be a take 2. Shoot fast, and shoot like a sniper. Have the frame in mind before you press the shutter, shoot the min. no of shots and make sure that every shoot counts. Imagine if you're the film crew or the VIP, if you have a photographer shooting a few frames at the start of the interview, I'm sure most will not mind. But if you're shooting throughout the interview, than you're screwing up other people's job as well as distracting the VIP being interviewed.

Know what you're doing.
Shooting straight into the camera while they're filming? A photographer should not even be in the film crew's frame while an interview is going on much less shoot into their camera. Know your job. if the interview is done outdoors, shoot without flash so that your flash will not be recorded. If you have to use flash, use the min flash possible, open up your apt. bounce the flash, etc. Shoot the min frame possible so that you can leave the film crew to do their job peacefully. As a rule of thump, I try to finish my shots within the first 20 sec of an interview. I usually get about 4 shots which my clients can use.

Always remember, you have a job to do but so do others. If you can respect each other and cooperate with each other, than everyone will be able to get their job done. You'll be surprise at how friendly other pros can be, many a times we always ask each other " I'm done, you want this angle? ".

blurrblurr said:
because this commercial assignment only want D2X. Do you have one?:think:
Din you tell them KRW says that D2X is obsolete and D200 is king now?

lsisaxon said:
Din you tell them KRW says that D2X is obsolete and D200 is king now?
PRO comment.

blurrblurr said:
because this commercial assignment only want D2X. Do you have one?:think:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: the king tio suan..... :bsmilie:

shinken said:
Sometimes the company paying may not know. I was told to shoot everything. But when scolded by the PA, it's me, not the company paying, that they're scolding.

It'll be good to check with the PR or PA if there's one. I have encountered quite a few celebs who gave me the pissed look if I shoot unannounced.
if i hire a photographer i would ask him to shoot everything. if he gets scolded because i didn't know that he couldn't shoot during the interview, then i would be pleased that he tried, or perhaps even got the shot that he was not supposed to!

of course if i knew he wasn't allowed, and still told him to do it, i would be an a$$hole, but then again sometimes clients are like that, they want the shot and don't care how you get it.

if u want ur money, then u try ur best, if not, tell them to take their business elsewhere. personally, being scolded by any other besides my client is no skin off my nose, unless of course, it gets me on the unlawful side of things, like i dunno.. going too near to the PM? then again i've been within 2 metres of the PM shooting him... no problems there... maybe president got problem.. let u know when i have the opportunity.

anyway.. if it was so important that no photography allowed, flash or otherwise, they wouldn't let any photographers near the interview, or would specifically tell them.

end up, it's about communication.

this reminds me of the NUTS (no u-turn syndrome) article by Sim Wong Hoo. basically, in singapore u CAN only U-turn when there's a sign saying you can. in most other countries, u can't only if there's a sign saying u can't, all other occasions, u can.

it's just an anology, but putting it into this case, if i wanted to be totally singaporean, i will only shoot when they say CAN. if like that, i want to shoot more interviews liow.

Paul, gimme lobangs can, i charge cheap. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.