Is it risky to put my DSLR into my messenger Crumpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fterh

Nov 23, 2009
D5000... not very big... but I don't want to lug the camera bag around...

Will I damage anything if I just put it into my Crumpler (messenger bag, not camera bag) together with my umbrella, wallet and sometimes handphone?

I'll have the lens cap on and the screen flipped (LCD facing inside). Will I accidentally crack/break anything? :embrass:

It's risky to even bring it out, better let it stay in your dry cabinet. :bsmilie:

Jokes aside, there are buckets available for messager bags to put your camera. Of course there are also cheaper alternatives via DIY.

You may want to consider getting a proper camera bag also, there are many bags that can hold your personal stuff in one compartment while housing your camera in another.

D5000... not very big... but I don't want to lug the camera bag around...

Will I damage anything if I just put it into my Crumpler (messenger bag, not camera bag) together with my umbrella, wallet and sometimes handphone?

I'll have the lens cap on and the screen flipped (LCD facing inside). Will I accidentally crack/break anything? :embrass:

Alternative you can try the neoprene pouch for DSLR, den you can put it into any fancy bag you like :lovegrin:

Cheapo method is to wrap it in bubblewrap or a towel.

I see... cuz the nikon camera bag is super big... I'm only 15 (quite small sized too) and I will look imbalanced if I lug that out @_@

I think your handphone is at greater risk than your DSLR.

DSLR cameras are not made of sugar. They won't break so easily.

i would use my neoprene camera pouch and jus put it in.
u can wrap it in a t-shirt or towel also.make sure they r dry

keep ur umbrella out if it's wet

i would use my neoprene camera pouch and jus put it in.
u can wrap it in a t-shirt or towel also.make sure they r dry

keep ur umbrella out if it's wet

2nd the neoprene cam pouch approach if u have some cash to spare. In that case, u can put ur mind at ease :)

Damn I bought it from MS Color but I didn't buy the dry box... how much is one and is it a must?

Damn I bought it from MS Color but I didn't buy the dry box... how much is one and is it a must?

what talking you? are you asking about dry box, or Crumpler messenger bag, or neoprene pouch? or D5000?

Oops sorry I meant to say, I didn't buy a dry box. How much does one cost and is it a must?

the ability to keep the camera and lens(es) dry in Singapore's humid environment, is preferred, though I wouldn't really say A MUST.

A dry box is simply an air-tight container with some sort of dehumidifying agent inside, such as silica gel.
You should be able to get one for <$30-35. Depends on size, of course.
If you keep your gear in air-conditioned area all the time, it should be ok. Air-con air is dry too.

Can I just buy a Lock & Lock and put a thirsty hippo inside?

Cuz I'm broke now, I can't afford dry cabinet although I read that it's superior...

A safe way is to put your camera in your dry cabinet and bring the cabinet out with portable power supply and put it in a bag

2nd the neoprene cam pouch approach if u have some cash to spare. In that case, u can put ur mind at ease :)

wow!!! the neoprene looks like what i m looking for...
something tat can protect n store my camera while i put it into my causal outing bag.

Initially thought of getting those normal camera pouch. but that would be wasteful if i upgrade to a zoom zoom lens. If i were to get a bigger pouch, it would be too bulky.

This neoprene could be the solution for me... anyone knows where i can get it???

Thanks!!! :angel:

A safe way is to put your camera in your dry cabinet and bring the cabinet out with portable power supply and put it in a bag

i think a trolley would b a better choice to hold the cabinet. LOL :bsmilie:

If you put keys inside, yes it's sure to scratch.. Crumplers usually have buckets and stuff, so you can check it out, though it might be a bit pricey, and for that price you might as well get a Lowepro bag.

I'm also 15.. Trust me you won't look imbalanced carrying a camera bag... It's better than putting it in a non-dedicated camera bag, as it is susceptible to bumps and stuff..

You can get the neoprene covers at Orient Photo (I think), but it's a waste of money if you're going to get more lenses and a bigger body in future.

you will not do anything much unless you forget the camera is inside, then slam your bag down, or drop it, etc.

otherwise, with those items you mention, it shouldn't be a problem, the biggest risk if you take care, is that the lens cap dislodges and your lens gets exposed, or that overt pressure is applied on the lens front face and that could be a problem.

if you are worried, then don't do so. i have carried my dslr with one prime lens in normal bags with school items before, nothing ever happened, but i took much more care than usual when carrying it around.

My DSLR practically lives in my school bag. Its is really quite hard to 'injure' the camera. The weakest link is probably the lens. Especially if it is the plastic kit lens. Manual focus and set the lens to infinity so that it doesn't protrude before you put it in. Disengaging the clutch also keeps the gears and motor healthy. My lens cap does drop out every once in a while, but the front element has not been scratched yet. At most, it gets dirty and I just have to clean it up a little. If I have sharp metal objects, like chargers, i separate them with my notes, books.

Status
Not open for further replies.