Is it possible to take the picture of the moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Feb 5, 2004
Can the above be done without telescopic lens or special filters?

Using G5 and if possible how? can't get the detail of the moon.

Any place to recomend ?

If you are trying to fill the frame with the moon, then you need more than 1000mm in focal length (35mm format equivalent).

Without using a telescope you other option is to stack one or more teleconverters onto your G5.

roygoh said:
If you are trying to fill the frame with the moon, then you need more than 1000mm in focal length (35mm format equivalent).

Without using a telescope you other option is to stack one or more teleconverters onto your G5.

Ahem and the cost of that is? :D

How about a picture of the night sky? some clouds covering the moon and such. can't seem to get the right exposure and focus. all pictures turn out too bright or the moon seems out of focus.

Mercury said:

How about a picture of the night sky? some clouds covering the moon and such. can't seem to get the right exposure and focus. all pictures turn out too bright or the moon seems out of focus.

Hi Mercury..

It is normal for the moon to be a big bright light bulb.. the moon is over 8 stops brighter then the surrounding sky.. so if you are metering to allow for the clouds in the sky to take on the shine moon.. then you will definitely get a burnt out moon.. as to allow for the glow on the clouds.. would probably warrant an exposure of 1s to 1/2s @ ISO 200.. the moon at ISO 200 to get an accurate exposure would have to be about 1/350..

Also.. if you exposures are long.. more then 1min.. expect the moon to become out of focus.. I have tried this with my film SLR.. leaving the shutter open for 3 hours.. the moon will trail over the frame.. this is due to the rotation of the earth.. so the moon will never really stay in one place.

Just my ranting..

Adrian.

gadrian said:
Hi Mercury..

It is normal for the moon to be a big bright light bulb.. the moon is over 8 stops brighter then the surrounding sky.. so if you are metering to allow for the clouds in the sky to take on the shine moon.. then you will definitely get a burnt out moon.. as to allow for the glow on the clouds.. would probably warrant an exposure of 1s to 1/2s @ ISO 200.. the moon at ISO 200 to get an accurate exposure would have to be about 1/350..

Also.. if you exposures are long.. more then 1min.. expect the moon to become out of focus.. I have tried this with my film SLR.. leaving the shutter open for 3 hours.. the moon will trail over the frame.. this is due to the rotation of the earth.. so the moon will never really stay in one place.

Just my ranting..

Adrian.

Thanks adrain,

I tried with ISO 200 1/350 but the shot came up too dim. I am trying to compose with a nice moon and clouds as foreground. anyway to have a moon not looking like a lightbulb? thanks

Mercury said:

Hehe...cheaper than telescopes... ;)

For night-sky-with-moon shot so far the most effective way is to blend 2 shots together in PS. First shot spot meter on the moon, and then the second shot can use centre weighted or matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.