Is it possible to shoot ligthnings with a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxfire

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Just happens there was a thunderstorm this afternoon and tried to capture the ligthnings of the approaching storm. Made about 200 shots of the dark clouds and the horizon but got nothing. See lightnings, too late and heck I am no good at predicting when lightning will strike. I have a G2. :dunno:

shoot lightning?? Can u react to the speed of light?

The best way is shoot multiple exposures (sequence mode) and then pray u caught something. But I think 4D more likely then u getting a decent shot in.

:D

Usually, people used very slow film and leave the Camera on at a very long time...

Unless DC can go more then 30mins w/o noise......

I think the chances are very little
*unless of course you pre-amp where the lightning will be and start shooting ..... you might get lucky and have one!

Yes, it can be done. Put the camera on long exposure, like 4-8s. Anticipate the interval between the different strikes. I've tried before, but results are not spectacular. Will try to dig it out....

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Yes, it can be done. Put the camera on long exposure, like 4-8s. Anticipate the interval between the different strikes. I've tried before, but results are not spectacular. Will try to dig it out....

Regards
CK

was trying to suggest the same thing too but you beat me to it ;p

don't have any example to show though. tunderstorms usually happen when I'm at work :p

Originally posted by mpenza

was trying to suggest the same thing too but you beat me to it ;p

don't have any example to show though. tunderstorms usually happen when I'm at work :p

But some stroke of luck, I managed to catch a bit, but not very spectacular. Those thunderstorms usually happen when I am in office or zzzz.

Here's one.

lightning1-web.jpg

Regards
CK

i read somewhere that the black card trick works for lightning. use BULB and place a black card over the lens. when u feel that sufficient time has passed, remove the card and wait for the lightning. this method can get more than 1 bolt on the same image

not sure if this is the method ckiang was referring to.

Originally posted by yeppie99
i read somewhere that the black card trick works for lightning. use BULB and place a black card over the lens. when u feel that sufficient time has passed, remove the card and wait for the lightning. this method can get more than 1 bolt on the same image

not sure if this is the method ckiang was referring to.

That will work fine for SLRs. My digicam doesn't have a bulb mode, and those which have will really need a cable release. Notice that it is already quite noisy, so it's better to do it with a film camera. The principle is about the same as shooting fireworks.

Regards
CK

img_5585_std.jpg

At tleast I can confirm that u should be able to do fireworks easily with a G2.

Date/Time: 2002.01.01 01:01:25
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Aperture: 2.0
Exposure mode: Program
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
Drive mode: Continuous frame: 2
ISO: 200
Lens: 7.0 to 21.0 mm
Focal length: 7.0 mm
Subject distance: 65.535 m
AF mode: Single AF
Focus point:

Image size: 1704 x 2272
Image quality: Superfine
White balance: Auto
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal​

At 1/50s without flash still can get so bright at that time of the day?? hmmmmm this always puzzles me. Cuz on 707 ay 1/30 or even less at low lighted area, you hardly can see anything liao leh..

Originally posted by Java_Guru
img_5585_std.jpg

At tleast I can confirm that u should be able to do fireworks easily with a G2.

Date/Time: 2002.01.01 01:01:25
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Aperture: 2.0
Exposure mode: Program
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
Drive mode: Continuous frame: 2
ISO: 200
Lens: 7.0 to 21.0 mm
Focal length: 7.0 mm
Subject distance: 65.535 m
AF mode: Single AF
Focus point:

Image size: 1704 x 2272
Image quality: Superfine
White balance: Auto
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal​

Thanks for all the pointers. Managed to capture just 2 shots last night. Maybe I was lucky, but the storm (it didn't rain, shucks) was coming over from behind the flats. I set Tv at 5s since I thought I was shooting at night.

sleep00009_std.jpg

sleep00008_std.jpg

Originally posted by foxfire
Thanks for all the pointers. Managed to capture just 2 shots last night. Maybe I was lucky, but the storm (it didn't rain, shucks) was coming over from behind the flats. I set Tv at 5s since I thought I was shooting at night.

sleep00009_std.jpg

Great pic!!!! If it was a castle instead of HDB flats, it would be real spooky :)

Originally posted by ckiang

lightning1-web.jpg

Regards
CK

u know something,CK? from this picture..i can tell you are at block 945,Tampines Ave 4. coz i stayed here too!!!

i have the same view from here too...but i jus stayed lower lah...

Status
Not open for further replies.