Is it possible to make DSLR with different mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
For example, 350D with Canon mount, 350D with Nikon mount, etc? ;p

Is it possible for dRebelXT to potentially cannibalise his own business and bankrupt himself for a niche group of people? ;)

use adoptor to "convert" to different mount, but have to use manual focus/aperture.

jsbn said:
Is it possible for dRebelXT to potentially cannibalise his own business and bankrupt himself for a niche group of people? ;)
hehe:think: I think I used too much open source softwares so thinking everything
should made free and made possible. ;p

zcf said:
use adoptor to "convert" to different mount, but have to use manual focus/aperture.
Maybe some smart peoples could hack the firmware of cameras to make it accept
different lens. Are the hardware connectors between different mount also incompatible?

I'm sure u've got eyes to see, hands to feel and a brain with common sense.

No amount of software hacks, even if its possible, could physically alter the lens mount shape and grooves of any camera.

what he meant was to make an adaptor with sensor contact 2 to fix between the lens and body, plus film way hack to enable the reading and usage of the other party lens. May be need to hack the lens chip also?
It might be possible, but it probably will be very costly and time consuming to do that.

ortega said:
if i am not wrong, there is an adaptor to use Nikon Glass on Canon body

i think there is, but i think what the thread started meant was a canon cam WITH a nikon mount, and not an adaptor.. which i think is quite er... no point? both systems have a great range of lenses for their users, dun see the need for any of them to do that...

and the potential problems it could create.. :think:

It makes no economic sense (other than those that make economic sense - like PictBridge system) to create a 'standardised mount' or system in which every single manufacturers adopt to.

technically possible but may not make business sense for Nikon and Canon to do it. Kodak did it though when they offered different Canon and Nikon version of the essentially same body (e.g. Kodak DCS SLR/c and Kodak DCS SLR/n).

from: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031802kodakslrc.asp
"brings Kodak back full circle to the 'good old' Kodak DCS days when they would have both a Nikon and Canon mount of each camera"

Status
Not open for further replies.