Is it possible to achieve "Bokehs" with normal PnS cameras?

kriegsketten

Apr 7, 2010
Southern Enclave
I always thought "Bokehs" are only possible with high-end PnS (with Manual modes) and DSLRS....

what is your verdict?

If you are able to choose " aperture " and match it with the " focal length " used, plus your subject " distance ".

" distance " meaning... camera to foregrd and subject, subject and backgrd.
To chieve " bokeh " result / effect, do the following ;

* Set camera's ISO to lowest, e.g. 80, 50 or if there is a 25.
* Choose file / image size to the largest.
* Activate " anti-shake " device, if there is one.
* Make sure your subject is within 2.0 m. ideally...1.5 m. ( especially for PnS camera. )
* Shoot only head and shoulder composition.
* Avoid full length portrait or groups.
* Use maximum " zoom " range to shoot. ( not Macro, for it will cause distortion. Macro is meant for small / tiny object. )
* Avoid using " A " mode at all cost.
* Turn off auto flash.
* Use " P " program mode, or
* " T " speed mode, or
* Sport mode.

The principle is very simple... to cheat / fool the camera's programe to choose the maximum aperture.

Enjoy your photography.

Last edited:
why not? juz probably not as nice...if your lens can be set at f2.0...then can try Macro mode...no zoom...take an object with background reasonably far...*tada* you get what you want...:D

I always thought "Bokehs" are only possible with high-end PnS (with Manual modes) and DSLRS....

yes you can. try taking your subject up close about one arm's length. you can also switch to macro mode.

all and all...all cameras fundamentally shares the same theory...pns is no exceptional...but if you are looking at having very nice creamy bokehs in background...then be prepared to be disappointed..

DOF is more difficult to control with PnS camera than with DSLR.

The small imaging sensors of compact camera require the use of short focal lengths and this in turn gives these cameras an unusually long DOF when compared to DSLR camera.

Thus intentionally getting a shallow DOF is more difficult.

why not BUT what kiduff results would you want?

Very difficult to get them for PnS.

The focal length (ie. distance between lens to sensor) is so short that DOF becomes large.
Look at a compact camera and the actual FL are usually on the front of the lens. These are usually very small numbers like 5mm-20mm (this is also followed by its 35mm equivalent FL).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/843626@N22/discuss/72157608674593209/

LX3 has a max aperture at f2.0. Can take a look at this...:D
And yes, everyone who mentioned "distance between lens to sensor" tt results in thicker depth of focus is correct...however, one can still play with the compact to get some..."bokehs"(as requested..)

Last edited:
Anyway, if you are those who do agree there's good bokeh and bad bokeh...
then pns can only bring you the lower end of the spectrum since the lens cannot be changed...

DOF is more difficult to control with PnS camera than with DSLR.

The small imaging sensors of compact camera require the use of short focal lengths and this in turn gives these cameras an unusually long DOF when compared to DSLR camera.

Thus intentionally getting a shallow DOF is more difficult.

Getting a shallow DOF is more difficult..it's true...but one is not deprived of out of focus blur anytime...thus, if TS is not looking to have creamy nice quality bokehs with the pns, then shdn't be a prob...

Last edited:
I shot this with my Sony H3 PnS; may not be the best example.

DSC00003-1.jpg

Another example of what is possible with a PnS.

DSC00005-3.jpg

i believe you are referring to background blur, "bokeh" is usually refer to the "quality" of the background blur which is not measurable and is quite subjective.

to have maximum background blur, you can try the following:
1. get as close to your object as possible
2. zoom in to max.
3. open your aperture to largest (if there is manual mode).
4. choose a background that is as far as possible from your object.