is it okay for degree grads to take up diploma jobs in this economic crisis ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exposure

Apr 6, 2008
my fren came back from UK, he is asking will he be laughed at if he choose to pick up diploma job for income/survival sake, and also looking around for a better one while working ?

he has a UK degree with some years of work experience, and is feeling dry waiting too long for a grad level job

what do u guys think ?

:think:

Last edited:
No he wont get laughed at as in this kind of climate... it's getting the job that counts. However he might not get the job as he is overqualified and he will be expected to take a huge pay cut. Also the employer will know he is taking them as a stepping stone.

yah....I agree...probably he doesn't have much choice....the employer may not employ him as he may be over-qualified...it happened to me in the last economic crisis....

it has happened during the last crisis....he has to bite the bullet and downgrade a little...

my fren came back from UK, he is asking will he be laughed at if he choose to pick up diploma job for income/survival sake, and also looking around for a better one while working ?

he has a UK degree with some years of work experience, and is feeling dry waiting too long for a grad level job

what do u guys think ?

:think:

Laughed at? In my past 20+ odd years of working and being thru a few recession and bad economies...seeing grads going for interview as entry level sale assistant at a department store or yes....waiter is nothing new....for young or old grads.

If your friend have not heard of such thing yet...well...he is going to be in for a rude awakening if the economy is really going to sink further and last a long time.

No job...no money. No money...no food. Unless the parents have deep pockets. There is no shame in good honest work...when you can find it in a climate like this.

i think he better take up, becos his current offer is a recession proof industry.. so i guess maybe go in first and see how..

to be frank, we all worked for MONEY and experience as we go along.. degree or diploma holders no difference when it comes to a mouth need to be fed.

Last edited:
My wife told me the son of her friend an engineering graduate worked in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.

I knew a science graduate made coffee in a cafe and a maths graduate made sandwiches there and a honours law graduate worked as a marketer.

I also knew someone who was in my class failed Form 5 twice but became a minister in Malaysian cabinet.

My wife told me the son of her friend an engineering graduate worked in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.

I knew a science graduate made coffee in a cafe and a maths graduate made sandwiches there and a honours law graduate worked as a marketer.

I also knew someone who was in my class failed Form 5 twice but became a minister in Malaysian cabinet.

Forgot to add that the engineer is now the owner of a restaurant now and the law graduate the marketing head of a large law firm.

Forgot to add that the engineer is now the owner of a restaurant now and the law graduate the marketing head of a large law firm.

what abt the minister in Malaysian cabinet? became senior?? or mentor??

i think he better take up, becos his current offer is a recession proof industry.. so i guess maybe go in first and see how..

to be frank, we all worked for MONEY and experience as we go along.. degree or diploma holders no difference when it comes to a mouth need to be fed.

I would say take up the job.

however, in doing this, he has taken away other ppl chance of long time livelihood too. maybe, our fellow singaporean of lower education need this job to feed several mouths of his' family. what do u guys think???

I would say take up the job.

however, in doing this, he has taken away other ppl chance of long time livelihood too. maybe, our fellow singaporean of lower education need this job to feed several mouths of his' family. what do u guys think???

i agree on the part to take up the job. However, i have reservations on your views that he has deprived others of a job. Theoretically, an employer should hire based on merit. and if the friend is hired, it must be because the employer thinks that he has an edge over the next person. Therefore, the factor that the next person has family to feed etc shouldn't be taken into considerations. :)

When you take up any job you'll always be depriving someone of a job.

And the someone may go on to set up a small food stall in a street corner and make more money. :)

The question is, will your friend be willing to give a degree level of performance in a diploma job? If he is, then maybe the company could move him up if his performance is good. If not, the company will have less incentive to pick him since he's likely to move on after a short time.

When you take up any job you'll always be depriving someone of a job.

And the someone may go on to set up a small food stall in a street corner and make more money. :)
ya ya ya, if so all the photographers go and snatch assignments from pros, the you will see all the pros go and drive taxi or sell wan ton mee at road side liao.

nobody will laugh at person willing to lower down himself to take up any job available to him at the moment.

Someone took on the job as a cleaner in the housing estate working from 7am to 5pm
even though he was over qualified (formerly in a high ranking official position in the civil service). However there are many not willing to eat the humble pie, like selling off his
automobile, or take up a job that is paying him one third of what he was getting before.

They feel not comfortable and willing to suffer throughout the crisis.

There is no shame in good honest work.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Recession time...grab what ever job u can.目前的行情是讲钱途,而不是前途 !!!

Last edited:
Someone took on the job as a cleaner in the housing estate working from 7am to 5pm
even though he was over qualified (formerly in a high ranking official position in the civil service). However there are many not willing to eat the humble pie, like selling off his
automobile, or take up a job that is paying him one third of what he was getting before.

They feel not comfortable and willing to suffer throughout the crisis.
those who not willing to eat the humble pie, just let them be lor...
anyway, he himself suffer never mind, but let other people around him also suffer together... well... that's other people business.

ya ya ya, if so all the photographers go and snatch assignments from pros, the you will see all the pros go and drive taxi or sell wan ton mee at road side liao.

The musically gifted photographers will have no fear. They can play Ehru at street corners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.