Is it ok to change lens without turning off the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
I think I did it a few times already. Just wondering...

There was a post some time back on the same subject.
Yes you can.

you can

but be prepared to get dust on your sensor quickly than usual.

when the sensor is switched on, static electricity will build up easily. when that happens, dust will be attracted more easily too.

you can

but be prepared to get dust on your sensor quickly than usual.

when the sensor is switched on, static electricity will build up easily. when that happens, dust will be attracted more easily too.

Thanx for the tip!

yes, preferable to have it off. this is the reason why people tell you to turn off.

but leaving it on when changing also no issue lor.. just see whether you like to clean dust or not.. :bsmilie:

I always turn it off first.

Just feels safer haha :bsmilie:

yes, have been forgetting to off my cam when changing len for yrs ... whahaha so its safe... just not clean ;p

Not that it cannot be done, but dust will gather on the sensor more quickly, that's all. I believed that you should even wait for a short while so that the sensor can be fully discharge before changing the lens.

I think I did it a few times already. Just wondering...
Given that the sensor is inactive when changing lenses, as well as sitting behind the shutter AND the mirror, i personally believe the "more dust when camera is on" is just urban myth (aka rubbish). There will be more dust on the sensor simply because dust is introduced into the camera body when one changes lenses, and the dust eventually makes its way to the sensor. The camera being on or off has no significant impact on the sensor dust level.

If there is "static" on the sensor, 1. it would destroy the electronics on the sensor (bye bye camera) and 2. the dust it attracts when changing lenses would be stuck on the shutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.