is it ok to buy used lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firerider

Jan 20, 2010
hi guys, a newbie here. just bought a 17-40L from a seller here. the condition is pretty good. just some light scratches on the body. optical quality is good as it shld be. however, i found out tt the lens is UT which means made in 2005. it's already 5 years since then. do u guys think it is ok? the lens being 5 years old already, i worry it may "break down".

sorry for the newbie qns.

I have lenses from 1986. Stop worrying. Lenses last; it's the bodies that fail.

i see. that's good to know...sorry newbie here.

Most of us here are common joes with limited bugets..... buying and using 2nd hand lenses are a very common thing. Just make it a point to check the lens carefully before handing over the cash.... :sweat:

Its definitely ok to buy used lenses.. provided u know how to check for defects :sticktong
In fact a lot of excellent legendary lens are out of production & only can be bought through 2nd hand market..

alright. yup, i got read the Sticky: Buying 2nd hand lens over here before buying the 17-40...thanks all for ya help!

hi guys, a newbie here. just bought a 17-40L from a seller here. the condition is pretty good. just some light scratches on the body. optical quality is good as it shld be. however, i found out tt the lens is UT which means made in 2005. it's already 5 years since then. do u guys think it is ok? the lens being 5 years old already, i worry it may "break down".

sorry for the newbie qns.

if u really wanna scrutinise, prob u can pick fault at the motor? but i think it should be fine la, serious.

I think lens is something that can really last very long. I am starting to doubt lens that come with more and more electronics in it =) oh and my 50mm was bought in 1982 and im still using it.

i recently bought a carl zeiss 50 f1.4 manual lens for my camera... looks ok except for some dust and some paint drop off. but since its full manual... i guess should be ok. :)

but i definitely wun buy newer lens with auto focus functions/motor etc... cos i dun know how to check.

I think lens is something that can really last very long. I am starting to doubt lens that come with more and more electronics in it =) oh and my 50mm was bought in 1982 and im still using it.

i so agree. i really wonder if today's lens with all the microchip inside can last more than 10 years even? i heard about lenses 20 years ago which some old timers are still using til this very day! well, my friend's dad is one of them and i was so shocked to see those ancient stuff working on his ancient camera...

well think of it this way.. if lets says it is not ok to buy used lenses.. then how come so many people are trying to trade them in the BnS?

Surely they're ok as some buy them rushie with the BBB virus.. some just find them under-utilised or some juz want to buy those that no longer in production but found only in the 2nd hand market.. just that you need to know what and how to check if you purchase them..

And yes, lenses can last for a really long time.. unlike the camera body which usually undergoes technology enhancement over the next few years.. Eg. D300 to D300s / D3 - D3s etc

Most hobbyist lenses are in generally under-used condition, so wear and tear is less of a worry - unless yo buy from GPMG user. :bsmilie:

If in doubt, just ask CSC to do a functionality test.

GPMG user. hahaha! that user must have been a SAW gunner in NS. 10 rounds per second. change magazine (lens) fast and hard. haha!

At least not like the Metal Storm - fires 40mm grenades at 3000 rpm or 50 rounds per second! :sweat:

haha...anyway TS, i think its ok to buy a used lens.

GPMG user. hahaha! that user must have been a SAW gunner in NS. 10 rounds per second. change magazine (lens) fast and hard. haha!
Studio Usage most likely...

2nd hand lens are the :thumbsup: if u are on a tight budget. And like what some of the others have said, some old lens that are discontinued already can only be bought through 2nd hand avenues. I have a nikon 75-300mm that i got at about $200plus and i think it's much better than the new 70-300mm series.

In fact, apart from my kit lens... my other lens are all 2nd hand. Just learn how to check for defects like dusts/scratches/fungus. Otherwise go ahead and get your hands on those 2nd hand lens man!!

depends on how the last owner took care of it, that's about it.

otherwise, i have a few very old k-mount lenses that work perfectly fine! :)

when i didn have a CFO, there was a time where i looked out for firesale lenses that goes way below market ;p

happy shooting TS!

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.