is it ok to buy used lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you so much guys for the advices! will continue shooting with my newly acquired lens!

I only had one new lense the rest are 2nd hand, dun see anything wrong with that.

For the newer lenses, it's generally ok. Dust is ok, but look out for fungus.

As for older MF lenses, it's better to be cautious, and buy from reputable sellers. Some actually took apart the lens to polish off the fungus. :bigeyes:

hi guys, a newbie here. just bought a 17-40L from a seller here. the condition is pretty good. just some light scratches on the body. optical quality is good as it shld be. however, i found out tt the lens is UT which means made in 2005. it's already 5 years since then. do u guys think it is ok? the lens being 5 years old already, i worry it may "break down".

sorry for the newbie qns.

hi firerider,

it's OK to buy used lens. just have to test it and make an assessment on the condition of the lens.

at the end of the day it is all about paying a fair price for it, given it is 5 years old.

the next question is how do you determine what the fair price is.

calculate an approx. value. for example a new 17-40 lens may cost $1,200:
Year Value Depreciation
0 1,200
1 960 20%
2 800 33%
3 640 47%
4 480 60%
5 320 73%
6 160 87%
7 - 100%

so i would expect to pay approx $320 (+ - condition and foreseeable repair cost).

i see. thanks! but i doubt L lenses are selling according to that depreciation calculation. lol... i bought a UT lens for $800!

I have lenses from 1986. Stop worrying. Lenses last; it's the bodies that fail.

Need to emphasize this~
And strees the importance of not investing in exp bodies and cheap out on lens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.