Is it normal? Zoom lenses that does not seems to zoom to correct magnification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSpot

May 1, 2008
I was looking at some teleconverter lenses for my S5IS

Alan photo has one that is 3X and John3:16 has one that is 2.5X, these are their third party lenses.

I tried them on but both with different magnify show little enlargement. I tried with max zoom and no zoom and the magnification look the most 1.5-1.8 times zoom from my naked eye. So is this normal?

Or really to get a true 2x zoom power, I really have to pay more to get a canon original teleconverter lenses?

Expert please advice. Thanks.

I tried them on but both with different magnify show little enlargement. I tried with max zoom and no zoom and the magnification look the most 1.5-1.8 times zoom from my naked eye. So is this normal?

:bigeyes: why don't you take a picture, and then compare?

btw, zoom should AREA, not height or width, based on my understanding

so math should tell you that magnification ratio of linear values will be roots of the magnification ratio

i.e. root 3 or root 2, which is around 1.4 to 1.8.. i think this is the problem.

Oh, if that's really the case, then it might explains it. So I have to square the multiplier value stated, right?

Meaning a 2X teleconverter will not get you a picture enlarged by 2 times. Did I get it correct?

Oh, if that's really the case, then it might explains it. So I have to square the multiplier value stated, right?

Meaning a 2X teleconverter will not get you a picture enlarged by 2 times. Did I get it correct?

it will.

don't you remember math? if square b has twice the length of each side of square a, then square b will be four times the area of square a.

you should be getting original frame's (before TC) framing, center cropped out and magnified by 2. but if say, you have a lamp in your picture, it should not appear to have twice the height using a 2x tc. you will have root 2 times the height.

it will.

don't you remember math? if square b has twice the length of each side of square a, then square b will be four times the area of square a.

you should be getting original frame's (before TC) framing, center cropped out and magnified by 2. but if say, you have a lamp in your picture, it should not appear to have twice the height using a 2x tc. you will have root 2 times the height.

Now, I am really confused.

So let say a normal pic without teleconverter and the object appear on a pic taking up 1/2 the area on photo, after that when i put on the teleconverter with 2x multiplier, will the object multiply it's size by 2 times and fill out the whole photo.

What I understand is the 2x should be referring to the distant being multiplied, but then since it's relative the object should multiply by 2 times right? Meaning 2s time length and breath wise.

This is at best the example i can try to explain what I wanna ask. I have taken picture but unfortunately deleted them.

Sorry for sounding like an idiot as I am really new to higher level photography. I tried doing google for it but can't find any good explanation on it.

If not I can show you guys what i mean.

I thought the zoom is the multipler for the focal length?

28mm with a 2x zoom should go to 56mm.
Whether or not the object in the photograph has doubled in size should be calculated in other ways.

it will.

Magnification is almost universally specified in linear terms. A 2x teleconverter should give, focused at infinity, 2x linear (or 4x areal) magnification.

Magnification is almost universally specified in linear terms. A 2x teleconverter should give, focused at infinity, 2x linear (or 4x areal) magnification.

lol. was just guessing. :bsmilie:

you're the man, so i guess we'll take your word for it

a quick search on wiki also says the same thing

teleconverter article

The use of a 2× teleconverter (or doubler) gives the effect of using lens with twice the focal length. It also decreases the intensity of the light reaching the film by the factor of 4 (an equivalent of doubling the focal ratio) as well as the resolution (by the factor of 2).

from wiki:

300mm view
800px-Viewfinder-SLR-300mm.swn.jpg

300mm view with 2x teleconverter (notice that the image is darker too)
800px-Viewfinder-SLR-300mm-2xTeleconv.swn.jpg

lol. was just guessing. :bsmilie:

you're the man, so i guess we'll take your word for it

a quick search on wiki also says the same thing

teleconverter article

from wiki:

300mm view
800px-Viewfinder-SLR-300mm.swn.jpg

300mm view with 2x teleconverter (notice that the image is darker too)
800px-Viewfinder-SLR-300mm-2xTeleconv.swn.jpg

Great find.

Okay reference to the pic above, you can estimate that the lighthouse have been magnified 2 times with a 2X teleconverter.

Well, now this is what I experienced. With the 3X and 2.5X teleconverters (third party teleconverter the retailer recommended to me) on my S5IS does not seems to give at least 2 times magnification now matter at which S5IS zoom level. The pics taken of the subject on same zoom level are never magnified by 2 times. The most i estimate is between about 1.7-2.0 , thus my questions is whether is this normal.

Really, is it because they are third party (both different brand too) thus not compatable to use on S5IS? And because of this that's why the resulted pic is never more than 2 times the magnification? So in order for S5IS to experience 2 times of it's native 18x zoom (meaning about 36x zoom) the only way is to buy cannon's teleconverter instead?

Hope you all get what I want to ask. Sorry the previous posts I made is confusing or unclear. I wish this post is clearer on what I am really trying to find out.

3X and 2.5X teleconverters (third party teleconverter the retailer recommended to me) on my S5IS does not seems to give at least 2 times magnification now matter at which S5IS zoom level. The pics taken of the subject on same zoom level are never magnified by 2 times. The most i estimate is between about 1.7-2.0 , thus my questions is whether is this normal.

Get used to the fact that "technical specifications" nowadays are sometimes not grounded in properties of the product, but the whims of the marketing department. (The marketing people may not even know what the specs mean.)

Well, now this is what I experienced. With the 3X and 2.5X teleconverters (third party teleconverter the retailer recommended to me) on my S5IS does not seems to give at least 2 times magnification now matter at which S5IS zoom level. The pics taken of the subject on same zoom level are never magnified by 2 times. The most i estimate is between about 1.7-2.0 , thus my questions is whether is this normal.

can you post up pictures with exif here?

just use auto mode, and then take one at a partiuclar focal length, add the teleconvert, take another one. post both up here.

can you post up pictures with exif here?

just use auto mode, and then take one at a partiuclar focal length, add the teleconvert, take another one. post both up here.

Sorry, I deleted them. I should have kept them, but at the point of time I assume that's normal thus did not thought about keep them to show to you guys when asking this question.

easy to reshoot anytime.. unless the TC doesn't belong to you.. well can always go to shop and test again.

Okay, will try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.