Is it necessary to get a airtight box for DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fusetrips

Jan 17, 2002
A couple of my friends bought airtight box for their film camera but I am wondering whether is this necessary for DC as well?

If you frequently bring and use your DC, i don't think there's a need.

Originally posted by Keito
If you frequently bring and use your DC, i don't think there's a need.

Haha.. better be safe than sorry.. =P

Will DC get fungus as well? :eek:

Originally posted by fusetrips

yeah why not

A garden will grow on your camera. hahah.. then u can put fertiliser and graw it so u can harvest them.

Where can I get desert sand then? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Klause

A garden will grow on your camera. hahah.. then u can put fertiliser and graw it so u can harvest them.

then can take macro shots on the fungus ...

Originally posted by megaweb

then can take macro shots on the fungus ...

Hmm.. then u need to buy a NEW digicam to take the fungus on ur Garden Cam.. Hmmz...

Hmm.. then u need to buy a NEW digicam to take the fungus on ur Garden Cam.. Hmmz...

use mirrors :p

Originally posted by Keito

use mirrors :p

Hmmz... what if the mirror also ganna Fungus attack? Later the fungus grow legs and walk to the mirror.. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Hmmz... what if the mirror also ganna Fungus attack? Later the fungus grow legs and walk to the mirror.. :confused: :eek: :confused:

:rolleyes:

heh heh heh -- good to see that we have a bunch of fun-loving comedians here :D

anyway, to answer the original question, its always a good idea to store your cameras (and electronics - Walkman, Discman, MP3 player, watch, etc) in a relatively dry environment as Singapore is pretty humid.

FYI - fungus grows when the relative humidity (RH) is above 60%, and rust develops above 50%. Singapore's average daily RH is @ 80% if i am not mistaken.

My personal experience - my clothes cupboard in the master bedroom developed an entire carpet of fungus in the bottom drawers even though we use the cupboard everyday and the room window is always open.

So!! Invest in an airtight box (upgrade to an electronic dry cabinet if you have lots of things to store) and you will not regret it - a $50 investment today may save you the hassle and cost of fungus cleaning (min. $100 per lens) in the future.

And putting silica gel in your camera bag does not help a single bit as your bag is DEFINITELY not airtight :D

Does the electronic cabinet take up a lot of electricity?

Does the electronic cabinet take up a look of electricity?

There is a <20 dollars solution for this... And I'm using it.

Go buy a container[MUST BE AIRTIGHT] .. I got mine @ carrifour for $13. Buy a big one as you won't know if you will be buying more stuff for you cam. Then go to any camera stall and buy Silica Gel(3-4 dollars for 1 BIG bottle).

Then pour abt 1/2 bottle into the container and put all ur equitment there then close it (so it's airtight). This is a home-made drybox. No electricity needed(save power) and works extremely well.

When the silica gel turn to light blue or near white after 2-3 weeks.. you can then pour the other half bottle into the container and seal it up again.

Then go heat up the first half which have turned colour and MAGIC! you can see it turn to the original colour again...

So.. you can recycle the bottle of silica gel again and again... =) Save money/Save electricity

There is a <20 dollars solution for this... And I'm using it.

Go buy a container[MUST BE AIRTIGHT] .. I got mine @ carrifour for $13. Buy a big one as you won't know if you will be buying more stuff for you cam. Then go to any camera stall and buy Silica Gel(3-4 dollars for 1 BIG bottle).

Then pour abt 1/2 bottle into the container and put all ur equitment there then close it (so it's airtight). This is a home-made drybox. No electricity needed(save power) and works extremely well.

When the silica gel turn to light blue or near white after 2-3 weeks.. you can then pour the other half bottle into the container and seal it up again.

Then go heat up the first half which have turned colour and MAGIC! you can see it turn to the original colour again...

So.. you can recycle the bottle of silica gel again and again... =) Save money/Save electricity

I find that your info is useful .. could you create a procedure or a screenshot on how to do it ... where to get cheap drybox , Silica Gel , etc ...

I am sure that many people will visit your site when they need this info ..

Originally posted by megaweb
I find that your info is useful .. could you create a procedure or a screenshot on how to do it ... where to get cheap drybox , Silica Gel , etc ...

I am sure that many people will visit your site when they need this info ..

Quite true... stuffs like what's the correct way of loading film etcs.. although simple but don't be surprised that many still dunno what's the correct procedures.

Personally I feel that the main page n contents gotta get it up 1st. Not many ppl like going around posting n reading forums.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.