Is it necessary to get a airtight box for DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by megaweb

I find that your info is useful .. could you create a procedure or a screenshot on how to do it ... where to get cheap drybox , Silica Gel , etc ...

I am sure that many people will visit your site when they need this info ..

I used to do that too, even though I used a proper dry box. I recycle the silica gels by putting them in a microwave safe plastic container (those you got from tabao food) and reheat them in the microwave oven till they turn blue.

As an extra measure besides the dry box, I also put each individual equipment into a ziploc bag with sillica gels, then put everything into the dry box with more sillica gels in the box. This helps to ensure opening up the dry box to get one equipment will minimize disturbance to the rest. :)

Originally posted by Darren
And putting silica gel in your camera bag does not help a single bit as your bag is DEFINITELY not airtight :D

I agree. If I am not wrong, if your camera bag is made of absorptive or permeable material, it will do more harm than good.

The reason is that the silica gel will "draw" the water vapour from your camera bag and thus increases the rate of absorption of the silica gel, which means that you may have to microwave your silica gel (to get rid of the water content of the gel) more often.

Get a airtight box and put a couple of silica gel bags inside. There is some reversible RH indicator available somewhere in Singapore. Unfortunately, I have forgotten where the place is. I know of someone who is selling (wholesaler and not retail).

This indicator consists of 5 patches of blue colour, with each patch indicating the RH value (say 20% ~ 50%). When the humidity reaches a certain level, the patches will turn pink in colour. This is quite a good indicator on the RH of your box.

Sorry for being so long winded. Hopes that it helps in one way or another.:D :D

What should we do when the gel become red colour?:confused:

Originally posted by fusetrips

Either recycle them or get new ones. To recycle you can either microwave them or heat them on the stove. I used to microwave them.

Either throw it away or follow the steps on listed previously

Originally posted by ziploc
Either recycle them or get new ones. To recycle you can either microwave them or heat them on the stove. I used to microwave them.

Is it really safe to microwave the gel? :eek:

Is it really safe to microwave the gel? :eek:

Why not? Its not like some kind of explosive... :)
I did that all the time. Just make sure that you don't use the same container for food (sillica gel shouldn't be poisonous, but just to be KS= kia si) :)

Originally posted by ziploc
Why not? Its not like some kind of explosive... :)
I did that all the time. Just make sure that you don't use the same container for food (sillica gel shouldn't be poisonous, but just to be KS= kia si) :)

Won't the gel melt under intense heat? :eek:

Won't the gel melt under intense heat? :eek:
Its not exactly a gel - actually they are silica crystals, so they wont melt.

But under enough heat (and I know, since I have done it before), you can burn the crystals and they sorta fuse together :p

what i used to do was to gently and slowly fry them in a cheap wok (bought only for this purpose) over a slow fire.

I can tell you it was so much hassle that I finally gave up and bought an electronic dry cabinet.

Its not exactly a gel - actually they are silica crystals, so they wont melt.

But under enough heat (and I know, since I have done it before), you can burn the crystals and they sorta fuse together :p

what i used to do was to gently and slowly fry them in a cheap wok (bought only for this purpose) over a slow fire.

I can tell you it was so much hassle that I finally gave up and bought an electronic dry cabinet.

How much does a simple electronic dry cabinet cost? Does it take up a lot of electricity?:confused:

How much does a simple electronic dry cabinet cost? Does it take up a lot of electricity?:confused:

Cheapest so far i think are the $99 ones found at carrefour

Originally posted by Keito
Cheapest so far i think are the $99 ones found at carrefour

Does dry cabinet suckup a lot of power?:eek:

nope

i have seen $99 one being sold at Carrefour, but believe they were pretty small.
Cathay Photo has a good range of cabinets.
I would say that the price range will be $99 - $999 :D

as for electricity, have not seen a drastic increase in my power bill so should be small consumption.

The $99 cabinet mentioned is with 30L capacity. CP is having a promotion for Akarui dry cabinet, the D60C 56L going for $189, free delivery and with free gifts (Cokin filter, lens cleaning kit, tablepod). I bought it from CP and is going to receive it this afternoon :)

Oh btw, the D60C's dimension is: 40w x 41d x 44h, and has 2 shelves.

as for electricity, have not seen a drastic increase in my power bill so should be small consumption.
Yep. Barely any difference in my bill for the past 2 months I've been using the Drybox.

My personal experience - my clothes cupboard in the master bedroom developed an entire carpet of fungus in the bottom drawers even though we use the cupboard everyday and the room window is always open.

I think there is a new product out there specially design for this purpose - saw it on TV just now, it feature a "hippo" sucking the humanity.

1. silica gel turns pink when it is saturated with water.
2. if u buy a proper airtight container which costs $50+, you only need to refresh the silica gel after more than 3-4 months vs 2-3 weeks for other types of containers. My dedicated containers are several years old and don't seem to have lost their 'airtightness'. I'm not sure I'll say the same about other types of containers after a few years.

And heres a big tip:
3. to cut down the frequency of refreshing of silica gel due to constant opening and closing of the container, open and close the container in a cold air-conditioned room. A cold air-con room has RH of about 50% whereas 'normal' Singapore air is anywhere from 70-80%.

Originally posted by Klause

There is a <20 dollars solution for this... And I'm using it.

Go buy a container[MUST BE AIRTIGHT] .. I got mine @ carrifour for $13. Buy a big one as you won't know if you will be buying more stuff for you cam. Then go to any camera stall and buy Silica Gel(3-4 dollars for 1 BIG bottle).

Then pour abt 1/2 bottle into the container and put all ur equitment there then close it (so it's airtight). This is a home-made drybox. No electricity needed(save power) and works extremely well.

When the silica gel turn to light blue or near white after 2-3 weeks.. you can then pour the other half bottle into the container and seal it up again.

Then go heat up the first half which have turned colour and MAGIC! you can see it turn to the original colour again...

So.. you can recycle the bottle of silica gel again and again... =) Save money/Save electricity

Originally posted by erwinx
And heres a big tip:
3. to cut down the frequency of refreshing of silica gel due to constant opening and closing of the container, open and close the container in a cold air-conditioned room. A cold air-con room has RH of about 50% whereas 'normal' Singapore air is anywhere from 70-80%.

No condensation?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.