Is it my iphone problem or starhub?

I have owned this iphone 3gs for more than half a year, recently started to notice that i often cannot make a call the very first try. They will try to dial, no dial tone, and after about 10 sec shows call failed. However when i press "call back" it will connect and call thru immediately.

2nd problem, esp irritating, when i come out of "receptionless" location and needing to make a call immediately, it most often will show "no service". Quite a few times after a long wait (nearly a min in the open) the phone still shows no service, forcing me to shut down my phone and restart and getting signal immediately.

Anyone else have the same problem? Phone problem? starhub problem?

I have owned this iphone 3gs for more than half a year, recently started to notice that i often cannot make a call the very first try. They will try to dial, no dial tone, and after about 10 sec shows call failed. However when i press "call back" it will connect and call thru immediately.

2nd problem, esp irritating, when i come out of "receptionless" location and needing to make a call immediately, it most often will show "no service". Quite a few times after a long wait (nearly a min in the open) the phone still shows no service, forcing me to shut down my phone and restart and getting signal immediately.

I have the same problem as your second one, thats with a japanese phone I use. I switch to my cheap Samsung phone i bought from 7 eleven, no problems. I still have the no signal problem when underground at some points at the East-West MRT line, but no problems at the North-East line.

I assume it is the switch the phone has to make from 3G (outside the tunnel) to 2G signal (inside tunnel) on the East-West line between Redhill and Tiong Bahru...........

The North-East line as well as the circle line has all 3G signal I guess..........I am on Singtel BTW

My japanese phone has another pecuiar thing, when I try to send an SMS during the period there is no signal, it won't sent off course, but when I retry after signal is back, it won't work still forcing me to retype again :-(

So, in my case it is the (japanese) phone..........your iPhone should not have this problem

HS

Last edited:

I've both the 3GS and ip4. My guess for your 2nd problem is likely a SH network problem. I've encounter situation like yours b4 on a few occasions. The most recent one was from 2nd link coming back from Malaysia. My ip4 was searching for SH signal and it can only hook to the network somewhere near Discovery Centre while my friend on Singtel got theirs right at the SG check point

i've used iphone 2G and 3G and i can assure you for the 2nd problem its sometimes due to poor telco network but most of the times its the iphone. When the phone loses network it will search for a few seconds then go into resting mode for a few minutes then repeat the search pattern again. Searching for network eats up a lot of battery juice so your smartphone OS helps save battery by searching intermittently. Just so happen that when u about reaching a well network-covered area that your phone goes to "rest".

@TS you dont have to restart your phone to recover network. simply go into airplane mode for a few secs (until u see the plane logo) then go back into phone mode. that should force your phone to search network again :)

oh for the first problem it happens occasionally on all iphones on all telcos. its an OS problem.

I have something similar. I dial X's number, no dial tone. Fails a short while after. I dial Y's number and it works.
Yes. Happens to me too. Usually after emerging from underground tunnels in the green line. Speaking of "receptionless", I frequently (i think 99%) get "No Service" whenever the train reaches City Hall station.

I'm on Singtel, BTW.

:Later,

I have something similar. I dial X's number, no dial tone. Fails a short while after. I dial Y's number and it works. Yes. Happens to me too. Usually after emerging from underground tunnels in the green line. Speaking of "receptionless", I frequently (i think 99%) get "No Service" whenever the train reaches City Hall station.

I'm on Singtel, BTW.

:Later,
Yes, City Hall is one of them, the moment the doors open at City Hall the reception is back again.........they really have to do something about it, cause on other lines no problems at all........

its not that they can't do it, anyway, got to write to Singtel

HS