Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
recently, i used my in-law's digital cam to take some shots on mum's day. its an olym 5050 set at highest jpg quality, full rez. went to print 8x12 & to my astonishment, its horrible!!

everyone in the group shot look patchy & water colour like. i shot some close up too & they r not as bad. however i can see jagginess on those fine strands of hair & eyebrows look artificial.

the lab i went to is a reputable one & has been around for many years. i m still sending my negs/slides to them for printing & all look excellent from their digital machine. so i have absolute confidence its not due to mishandling.

i can only say that i will continue to stick to film for awhile more... maybe its just me being too picky but i have never seen any of my film look this bad.

care to share some experience? both film & digi users?

Check your setting camera setting. The image that you want it to store. Is it on the highest resolution?

The more function it have, the more stupid it will be.

The more function it have, the more stupid it will be.[/QUOTE]

or the stupid i will be, hahaha! :bsmilie:

already said that its set to the highest resolution & highest quality. the next higher would be a RAW mode or TIFF. but i must say its definitely much better compare to a 3.3MP 8x10 print i saw last time.

however its still not good enough IMHO as i find that its still couldn't reach film level.

nightpiper said:
recently, i used my in-law's digital cam to take some shots on mum's day. its an olym 5050 set at highest jpg quality, full rez. went to print 8x12 & to my astonishment, its horrible!!

everyone in the group shot look patchy & water colour like. i shot some close up too & they r not as bad. however i can see jagginess on those fine strands of hair & eyebrows look artificial. Care to share some experience? both film & digi users?
Hi, I'm a C-5050 user. I think you should be referring to the SHQ setting. I agreed with you. I noticed that at SHQ setting, the quality is not as good as HQ setting.

Maybe you can try reducing your sharpness setting, maybe to -2?

Cheers.

thx for the tip :). the setting was set at: sharpness -5, saturation +2, contrast 0.

did u get a flawless 8x12 at hi-res from photolabs? i m not into printing pics at home with inkjet printer, so definitely go to photolabs. i also tried those Fuji machines & its not something i can accept, the reds bleed very badly. care to share some experience?

i just did a test. on the contrary, i prefer it set at SHQ to HQ.

maybe next time, i shound set the resolution to 'enlarge mode 3200x2400'. anyone tried that resolution for enlargement?

Status
Not open for further replies.