Is it just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
StreetShooter said:
... or is everyone else's mailbox also being flooded with virus-laden email?
No its not just you. There's a new virus going around.

If you receive a password-protected Zip archive asking you to open it, discard/delete it immediately. Opening the archive will get your email program infected and the virus will start sending out emails from your system.

Darren said:
No its not just you. There's a new virus going around.

If you receive a password-protected Zip archive asking you to open it, discard/delete it immediately. Opening the archive will get your email program infected and the virus will start sending out emails from your system.

in fact, if u see any emails with attachments with funny looking subject lines, coming from unknown senders (sometimes even known sender), just be sure not to open the attachment. Be safe - just delete first. If it is really, truly sent by your friend, ask him/her to re-send again. Better be safe than be sorry.

Opening a zip file can activate a virus? Hmmm, i didn't know that.

ST1100 said:
Opening a zip file can activate a virus? Hmmm, i didn't know that.

before was documents, scripts, etc. now, yes, compressed or encrypted files too. u'll probably be surprised too to find out how there is a virus war going on nowadays in the cyberspace... there are new viruses created and going round targeted at removing old viruses...

Ok, i'm in the IT line myself, so this is good to know.

While i understand .pif, .exe, .com, .scr, .bat runs code (and .xls, .doc runs macros), how does .zip activate a virus? Is there a 'macro' feature in winzip, or does Windows actually support '.zip' as an executable? Or a whole new mechanism? Does anyone know? TIA.

i'm still wondering how they got my email to scam with....... :think:

There is a virus gang war going on now. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Here is an article detailing that.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4422372/

ST1100
Opening the zip files from these mails won't activate the virus. Opening the executables within the zip file would. Having said that however, there is a vulnerability reported for Winzip where just opening the atfachment can screw you up. Thankfully no reported cases yet. Its just a matter of time however. :(
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1540329,00.asp

Francis

yeah i'm getting them too.. but not to my clubsnap email, to my other one, also a paid site. but they screen it and all i get is a blank email, so that's pretty good. anyway i dun have a habit of opening emails from address that are not familiar to me, unless the title is "hi (my name), this is (someone's name that i know), i'm looking for a wedding photographer!!!" :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

i guess everyones facing the same problem.
my norton keeps popping up every other time im checking mails.
:cry:

fryap said:
There is a virus gang war going on now. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Here is an article detailing that.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4422372/

ST1100
Opening the zip files from these mails won't activate the virus. Opening the executables within the zip file would. Having said that however, there is a vulnerability reported for Winzip where just opening the atfachment can screw you up. Thankfully no reported cases yet. Its just a matter of time however. :(

Francis
But if you read the article, it's still not .zip files - but files with .mim, .uue, .uu, .b64, .bhx, .hqx or .xxe extensions. Also if you've upgraded to the released winzip 9, there is no issue.

Royce,

I didn't say that they were zip files. ;)
What I wanted to get across to ST1100 was that the mere act of opening up a supposed non-executable can still screw you up. The format is irrelevant. I'm sorry if it caused confusion. There are buffer overflow vulnerabilities everywhere and one no longer can assume that if the attachment is a non-executable, it is safe to open. :(

Francis

Royce said:
But if you read the article, it's still not .zip files - but files with .mim, .uue, .uu, .b64, .bhx, .hqx or .xxe extensions. Also if you've upgraded to the released winzip 9, there is no issue.

fryap said:
Opening the zip files from these mails won't activate the virus. ... Having said that however, there is a vulnerability reported for Winzip where just opening the atfachment can screw you up.

Francis

So when you said attachment, you didn't mean .zip, even though previously you were talking about .zip files?

Royce said:
So when you said attachment, you didn't mean .zip, even though previously you were talking about .zip files?

Yes Royce.
Let me further extend the courtesy to correct the sentence construction so that no misunderstanding occur:

ST1100
Opening the zip files from these mails won't activate the virus. Opening the executables within the zip file would.

SPACE SPACE SPACE GIGANTIC SPACE SPACE SPACE

Having said that however, on a totally different note there is a vulnerability reported for Winzip where just opening the attachment (not to be confused with .zip file) can screw you up. Thankfully no reported cases yet. Its just a matter of time however.

:) :)

Cheers!

Francis

StreetShooter said:
... or is everyone else's mailbox also being flooded with virus-laden email?

Phew.... I thought I am the only one :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.