Is it just me, or does the K20D have usable ISO3200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnaxe

Oct 5, 2006
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5049/first-look-pentax-k20d.html

Look at the photo gallery on that page.

The last 5 pictures are of a scene which was taken at ISOs 100, 800, 1600 and 3200, and frankly, apart from slight softness, it appears that the ISO3200 is completely usable.

There's only a very slight loss of detail (which actually seems to start at ISO 800), but the noise reduction mechanism in effect at 1600/3200 is stupendous - there seems to be an almost imperceptible loss of quality as compared to the ISO 800 and the noise increase is not at all jarring.

I wants. (My K100D definitely does worse at 3200 and it might even be slightly worse at 1600).

ISO3200 on K20D is quite similar to ISO800 on K10D, or slightly better. I think it is very usable :)

ISO3200 on K20D is quite similar to ISO800 on K10D, or slightly better. I think it is very usable :)

What about the details or the loss of details under high ISO for K20D? The "noise" on the K10D up to ISO1600 has never bothered me ........... :)

Bottomline, CMOS trumps CCD.
Considering the resolution has increased quite a bit, one would expect the noise to go up.
But, surprise, surprise, the new sensor's noise level is even better than the preceding one.
CMOS wins hands down, no contest.

i think up to 1600 is almost the same at first glance

3200 is significantly different, let's not kid ourselves, but it is not horrible :)

3200 is significantly different, let's not kid ourselves, but it is not horrible :)

This statement is a reality check for those wishing to embark on this new K20d acquisition .............. don't get carried away by all these talk and speculation about ISO3200/6400 ;)

So far, I know that the K10D is a camera that gives its images a certain "realism" that surpasses other cameras that I have used .............. :D

Btw, what lenses are there to complement the new 14MP sensor ? :think:

The DA*, Limited and the new/old CZ lenses:rolleyes:

The last 5 pictures are of a scene which was taken at ISOs 100, 800, 1600 and 3200, and frankly, apart from slight softness, it appears that the ISO3200 is completely usable.

1600 or 3200 ISO is always usable, the problem is that we set this setting when it's too dark, so most of the picture is under exposed and appears the noise. But, use high sensitivity outside with no under-exposure and your photos will be very usable.

By the way, noise can be noticed only at 100%. Look at a rescaled picture for the web makes no sens and 99% of the real noise of the photos has been already removed just this process of resizing.

1600 or 3200 ISO is always usable, the problem is that we set this setting when it's too dark, so most of the picture is under exposed and appears the noise. But, use high sensitivity outside with no under-exposure and your photos will be very usable.

By the way, noise can be noticed only at 100%. Look at a rescaled picture for the web makes no sens and 99% of the real noise of the photos has been already removed just this process of resizing.

the pictures are 100%.

link me the samples you are referencing? TBH the only thing I looked at were the popphoto images.

It might simply be that the choice of subject matter for the 100% views benefit the particular processing that the K20D does at ISO3200.

link me the samples you are referencing? TBH the only thing I looked at were the popphoto images.

It might simply be that the choice of subject matter for the 100% views benefit the particular processing that the K20D does at ISO3200.

the 100% crops lor

seriously, 3200 has image degradation compared to 1600. as in visible image degradation. nothing too serious, but it's there.

the 100% crops lor

seriously, 3200 has image degradation compared to 1600. as in visible image degradation. nothing too serious, but it's there.

orh.

haha. I think I'm just forgiving :D

Status
Not open for further replies.