Is it hard to make a living out of photography?

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
I love photography as a hobby and since I love this hobby so much why not I make photography as my profession and make a living out of it? Would like to heard from professional people about their stories and the path they took that lead to their success. Anyone? Is it advisable to take the plunge?

Your question is nothing new. There's a wealth of information on this issue discussed previously. A simple search or even start reading the earlier threads will give you some idea.

Your question is nothing new. There's a wealth of information on this issue discussed previously. A simple search or even start reading the earlier threads will give you some idea.

Let's settle this once and for all:bsmilie: Or never, by asking these questions.

Are you ego-driven?
Big enough to take the plunge?

I love photography as a hobby and since I love this hobby so much why not I make photography as my profession and make a living out of it? Would like to heard from professional people about their stories and the path they took that lead to their success. Anyone? Is it advisable to take the plunge?

just like insurance agent/property agents who started out... are u prepared to live on air/water for a few months before you see some substantial income incoming in?

why not try it part time/freelance first?

:)

Hahaha.. ckuang says it all...

Ok.. here is something for you to consider...

I always encourage people to join the professional photography when they are ready.

Loving a hobby is a great start for photography business but not the ultimate key that determine your success...

To be successful, you need to be able to find a motivation that is big enough to carry you through the ups and down of running a successfull business.

While business activity most part are quite enjoyable (In my opinion ONLY), there are times that you wish that you don't want to do it... without finding a true motivation, it is harder to sustain for a long terms.

I am always worried about people say "I love photography and I think I can make some money out of it", there isn't much of a concrete motivation that I can see to carry you through.

If you want to try, perhaps, start with freelancing and you will then be able to judge for yourself, the level of income derive from freelancing is enough to make a living out of it and if it is, how hard it will be? its your call...

Just to share, I took a plunge 6 years ago and it is not always easy, but I could say, it is enjoyable enough though.

Consider your personal circumstances, consider your commitment and if you have your support to your family then... why not?

Regards,

Hart

you need a lot of supports from your family and friends,
for the first three years is very hard,
you don't know when will the next jobs come in, and will the clients pay you on time
regardless all the odds,
you still have to keep your focus, and endure...

after first three years.......... you will get used to it. :)

after first three years.......... you will get used to it. :)

really? I am still as worried today as I was 6 years ago... I don't think I will ever get use to it.

Challenges at different stage is different... But I digress... hope this gives some perspective.

Hart

3 years seems like an optimistic figure... just saying. Nothing against your hor Unker catchlights.

I would feel the market is rather competitive with low balling hobbyists trying to break into market etc.

Anyway, I still hope photography remain something that I enjoy rather than a job that could stress me out. For me, job and hobby don't mix.:D

I would say 5 years, and hobby and real job are different.

After 2 years, see what you have achieved, and set again. Target will be important. But most importantly is self discipline.

Without discipline, you will achieve nothing.

Hobby and Job don't mix well.. At least, that is what I read so far.

But to me, it is important to love what you are doing.

really? I am still as worried today as I was 6 years ago... I don't think I will ever get use to it.

Challenges at different stage is different... But I digress... hope this gives some perspective.

Hart

3 years seems like an optimistic figure... just saying. Nothing against your hor Unker catchlights.
I'm not saying after 3 years you will be good, or making lots of money, or no worry at all...
just saying that after 3 years, you should start get used to this type of life. ;)

after first three years, ones should evaluate yourself, do some soul searching, do you really want to be a full time photographer? what are the things able to fuel you?
FYI, the life of the full time photographer is not glamorous at all.
So what you really want? Only you have the answer to yourself.

If yes, you still have long long way to go, need to bite the bullet and endure.
If no, should glad that you didn't waste too much time on it. :)

(the "you" here is referring to any aspiring photographers, not to any particular person.)

Hobby and Jobs do mix well... you just need to find the balance to make a living from photography.

At least, that is what I am doing now. Photography was and still is my hobby... and yes, I derive all my income from it.

To me, depending on how talented you are in producing "saleable" images (I am not saying that you have to be the best image creator), and how well you could "market" your product lend yourself the success.

In Sydney, it took me a good 18 months to get to a consistent comfortable earning, and in Singapore, it took me about 8 months. But as I said, as you progress along, there are different challenges.

My advise is, if you do your very best and if you can't make it anywhere in 2 years, change!!! many of us don't have a lot of 2 years to waste.

Regards,

Hart

yes, hobby and job won't mix well.

when as hobby, you can happy happy you shoot, not happy can don't shoot.
but when is a job, nobody really cares how you feel, no matter what, you still have a job to do.. you have photos to deliver.

many people try to make a living, or make some extra pocket money with photography, but most of them won't stay long enough, either their passion run dry or their money run dry, this is very real and am not try to frighten you.

think about it.

its true that hobby/interest dun mix well...

cos when more expectations are placed on you... you start to dread it. ;p

i used to like IT stuff much but after working in the IT field for years... i begin to dread it and dun enjoy it as much as before.

:sweat:

Hobby and Jobs do mix well...

Regards,

Hart

yes, hobby and job won't mix well.....

its true that hobby/interest dun mix well...

Mix well or not, very much depends on how you look at it.

From the outside, yes, it's a bed of roses. Too long on the job, not driven, unmotivated. Many horror stories. On another note that's relevant like staying married, blissed or nightmare?

No matter how hot or cold the water is. You won't know unless you step in the water yourself.

-

From my POV~

When it's the lull period -
Meagre income so it's HARD to continue LIVING...

When i'm in the busy period -
So much HARD work that i dun feel like LIVING...

So from the way i look at it....it's yes to your thread title~ ;p

-