Is it ethical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

furrypaws

Feb 20, 2004
for a school to recruit sports players whose academic grades are below the cutoff?

while most people are quick to say that its unfair, do think about this counter arguement:

is a student who does nothing else but study all the time necessarily better than a student who spends jus the same amount of time, not in academics, but say in practising soccer?

would like to hear comments from all :)

I voted "Depends"

- Yes, if the student is hardworking, tries his best but academically performs below par.
- No, if the student is only interested in sports and will obey nobody when asked to study. Discipline is needed even in sports, and it will show in the long run if the student in question has no discipline.

Schools now are not really focusing much on the intake results of the students, but students with excellent CCA testimonials also. They want glory to their school...;)

Just like my college, which produced a fine sailor who won a Gold medal for Singapore for 402 Class Sailing in Korea. He'd also be representing Singapore in the upcoming SEA games. (Check out today's Sunday Times and you'll find his name in the list of SEA representatives. PM Lee also mentioned the particular sailor's name during his ND Rally Speech). What more can a school ask for?

a clever person isnt neccessarily a good person...

Brains dont mean everything :bsmilie: it's whether you can perform the task allocated to you and not reciting from the bloody notes and books :bsmilie:

Oh... Brain and cleverness means everything... just tat academic performance doesn't says it all... you need brains to play soccer too mate.;p

Playing devil's advocate here -

By recruiting top notch athletes, at the risk of sacrificing academic ability, and building successful sports teams, universities are often able to bring in huge sums of money through sponsors, advertising, television rights, sporting merchandise, etc. These profits are able to benefit the entire school body by 'recruiting' high profile lecturers, better facilities and establish larger research programs. :think:

Watched 'Coach Carter' ... 110% RESPECT for that man.

Student athletes are first and foremost Students, which incidentally, happen to excel in some CCAs.

yeap....the concept of student athelete i totally agree with "coach carter"

students first...atheletes later.....

aiyah.... way of life.... you lose your plce to a guy who dun make the cutoff.... then you cry foul play... unethical.... if you straight As student... then you will think no big deal.... :bsmilie:

Intelligency is not purely academic, gimme a break, i was not well endow mentally but physically... see avatar ha!ha!.;)

idor said:
aiyah.... way of life.... you lose your plce to a guy who dun make the cutoff.... then you cry foul play... unethical.... if you straight As student... then you will think no big deal.... :bsmilie:
That's why some say students in RJC are either super smart ones or the super dumb ones (who got in thru CCA appeal)

furrypaws said:
for a school to recruit sports players whose academic grades are below the cutoff?

while most people are quick to say that its unfair, do think about this counter arguement:

is a student who does nothing else but study all the time necessarily better than a student who spends jus the same amount of time, not in academics, but say in practising soccer?

would like to hear comments from all :)

I say "yes'. Jocks bring pride to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.